Injuries...what a PAIN!

Options
Injuries are only a setback , not a license to quit! How many doctors have you heard say that it's okay to sit on your rear end and do nothing?!?!? When you begin with a mindset of changing your lifestyle, then it will help keep injuries in perspective. It's temporary - you'll move past it with a little time, care, and following the advice of your doctor. One of the biggest things to overcome when starting and continuing an exercise program is purely mental. "There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permits. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." In the old days, if I had an injury, I very likely would have quit. In the same manner, if I went over on my calories by a lot I would have said, "Forget it! I'll just eat whatever I want and however much I want." I've come a long way in just 5 1/2 months. I'm not going back to the "old me" even though I have an injury. It really is a change in your attitude and commitment.

bonespur-1.jpg

I've been dealing with foot pain for five months now, but the last couple of months it has caused me to limp quite a bit & wake me at night, so I saw a podiatrist yesterday. I can tell you it REALLY hurts 24/7, not just in the mornings. I found out that I have plantar faciitis and a bone spur -- see this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis -- in the right sole and heel of my foot. This is caused by the tearing of the ligaments/tendons that connects the bottom front of the foot where your toes are to the sole and back of the heel. The bone spur begins to form as the body tries to heal itself by the bone growing or "reaching out" to re-attach itself to the ligament again. I have a high arch so the doc said my body had had enough of trying to support the high arch and the ligament tore. The doctor made a custom arch support insert for my shoe. If I don't get relief in he next 2-4 weeks, they will give me a steroid shot in the heel to help with the pain as I recover. Fortunately, he is allowing me to continue to exercise and power walk if possible. I will incorporate running when my foot has made progress with regard to healing. I'm super glad I can keep on exercising!

Injuries or no injuries, exercise is GOOD FOR YOU! As you already know, exercise promotes improved health, builds strength, reduces stress, curbs appetite, promotes weight loss, controls weight, combats health conditions & disease, improves mood, boosts energy, and promotes better sleep just to name a few. If you are dealing with pain, please see a doctor, don't put it off and allow things to become worse. Take care of yourself because there's only one of YOU!

Yes, my exercising may not be at the pace and intensity level that I'm used to. Yes, this will probably slow my weight loss "timetable" of goals. Yes, I may have to switch to alternate exercises for a while like swimming or cycling. However, I am no longer a quitter! I am a fighter! I am changing myself on the inside and outside for LIFE, not temporarily. This is just a setback. NOT a license to quit!!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anyone out there who exercises that hasn't had an injury setback. Currently I am dealing with tendonitis in both elbows, a recovering strained hamstring, left ankle pain, sciatica.......the list goes on. But like you, I've found ways to still effectively exercise where it doesn't aggravate the injuries as much. Keep it up!
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I suffered with a heel spur a few years back. I still have some aching every now and then especially if I do a lot of cardio. I know how you feel. You seem to have a great attitude, so I know you will do well. The one thing that a lot of people, including myself at that time, didn't realize was how often we should change our tennis shoes. My doctor told me that my heel spur was mostly due to wearing shoes that should have been thrown out long ago.