Running endurance

Options
I have never been a runner......not even as a high school athlete (25 years ago). I never really seemed built for it. I have short stubby legs and my body type is better suited for being a power lifter than a cross country runner. Regardless, I have made it a goal to run, but it has been frustrating. From the start of this weight loss journey (a few months ago), I have been able to jog 1/2-3/4 of a mile at a time. I have been at 1 mile for several weeks now, but it seems like it takes nearly all I've got to complete a mile. After I hit my mile, I start alternating walk/jog laps for another mile. It is not nearly as much in my legs as it is in my breathing. I just cannot seem to find the lung/heart capacity to do much more than that. At a 10 min. pace, it doesn't take long for my heart rate to be in the 160-165 range and is just a challenge to keep that up. You wold think that after doing this for a while now, that my heart rate would drop to a managable level.

Thoughts?

Replies

• RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down. A 10 minute/mile pace is pretty fast to start out with. You may want to check out the Galloway method, it is awalk/run interval training. Just google Jeff Galloway or look on amazon.com - good luck:smile:
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Run for a minute, walk for five. That's the best thing to start off with if you don't run regularly. It seems like it's not accomplishing anything, but it is, and it'll make you feel better. But pace yourself, and don't start off too fast!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Slow down!
    The best advice ever: you can't always go FASTER, but you can always go LONGER.
  • Dave59
    Dave59 Posts: 28
    Options
    The Galloway suggestion is a good one. Take earlier and more frequent walk breaks. See where that leads to. Also, it's been a rough summer in some places. Is it humid where you are? That will make things tough for you until it cools up a little.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Have you tried C25K (couch to 5k). It's a great program to start running, I did it several years ago and loved it!
  • LORELLI
    LORELLI Posts: 24
    Options
    I was going to say same, slow down. Speed 6 is fast to start out especially if you have shorter legs. Start out at 5.2 or even 5.5 if endurance is what you're looking for. Maybe for the 1/2 mile do intervals mixing in the 6 speed but then level it out at 5.5
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same age as you, and I'm 5'3" so I'm sticking with walk/run intervals. I started out jogging around 4.5 - 5 MPH but now I run at about 5.5 to 6 MPH. My walking intervals are at about 3.5 to 4 MPH. My heart rate still gets into the 160s/170s while I'm running, too.

I've been working on increasing my running intervals, I'm currently at 3 or 4 minutes running and one minute walking, but I don't plan to go above 6 to 1. I'm currently training for a 10K around Halloween and I'm hoping to be at 5 or 6 minutes to 1 minute by then and I'll finish when I finish. As far as I'm concerned, it's not ever going to be about how fast I can go, it's about finishing the race at all.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    start at a slower pace. I started my jogging at 5.0 mph until I got better. Now I consistently run at 5.6-6.0 and my legs give out before my breathing does now!! It will get better.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Couch to 5K. I'm definitely not a runner but this is really helping me.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try running at a slower pace. I too went through the same thing, now I can run for 40 minutes but at 11.5 minute miles.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have found great success with various c25k ("couch to 5km") programs. I'd recommend checking them out and there's lots of support here.

It's all about starting out with limited excertion and building up gradually, but you'll end up being able run 5k (a bit over 3 miles) consistently and with reasonable pace.

Best of luck!
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Start slow. When I started my weight loss journey (this time last year) I only ran for ten minutes, and that was in place inside the house as part of my exercise routine. Now I run at least 3 miles a day, usually more, but at least 3. Don't kill yourself starting out big dude. Take it slow then you will increase to a longer distance, trust me, I know :)
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    The best way to increase your breathing is to really push it. You want to do some sprint training. You'll want to do sprints 3 times per week. You'll notice a big improvement to your breathing right away in the 2nd week.

Walk for 10 minutes (brisk - 4mph pace) to warm up. Sprint (I do 8.5mph) for 60 seconds. Trudge (like 1mph) for 2 minutes and repeat the sprint/trudge three more times. So you're only doing 4 sprint cycles. After your 4th trudge (this is your recovery time to catch your breath), then you speed up back to the brisk walk pace (4mph) for another 10 minutes to cool down.

You will BARELY be able to maintain your 60 seconds - in fact, the first few times I did it, I could only maintain the 60 seconds the first time, and by the 4th sprint I was only able to do about 30 seconds. You'll be gasping for air. But don't stop altogether when you're between sprints; you should still move - a bit.

It only took me 5 attemps (so the 2nd sprint day in the 2nd week) before I was able to do all 4 sprints all the way through. And then that means that it's time to increase your sprint pace a bit!!

This workout is really not fun; but BOY does it teach your body how to breathe!!
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    i agree, SLOW DOWN! endurance in running is just as much about your mental as it is physical conditioning. i tried to go all out at first and felt like i was doing something wrong because i couldn't go very far, which was frustrating. once i slowed down i found i could go farther. i'm short (5' 3") and i found my most comfortable pace on a treadmill is 4.3. outside my pace is about the same, sometimes faster depending on humidity, fatigue level, hydration, etc. you may also want to check your form. your arms shld be at right angles and swinging back and forth in a straight line (not that much movement needed though). for your breathing try a 2-2 ratio (in-in-out-out) in tandem with your strides. once you get your breathing rhythm it will become easier to go further. also for breathing, it doesnt matter HOW you do it, just do it! in thru the nose/mouth, whatever, just suck in the air, lol!
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Like you I have never been a runner. I could do short distances at a fast pace but never distance.... I have learned after 13 years of forced compliance in the military that it never gets any easier. There is nothing fun about running! (my point of view) But I did learn that I may not be the fastest but if I set an appropriate pace I can go for miles!!! I still struggle with my frustration of seeing it come so easily to others... Or no matter my efforts always being the last one in. But I take heart in the fact that I did complete it despite of my issues (arthritis hips, knees, and ankles and I am only 30!!!) And the fact that I never give up!
  • tebumgarner
    Options
    You definitely need to slow down. You are working on easy runs to build up your base and physical endurance. I have ran 5K's at a pace of 8:20, however, on my regular runs, the SmartCoach application from Runner's World says I should be doing them around 10:20 pace. So if you are doing 10:00 and not a regular runner, you are going way too fast. Go as slow as you can without breaking the runner's form and see how long you can keep it up. I'll bet you will do much better!

Once you build your base and you have been running for several months, then you can throw in one day of speedwork if you want to work up to a faster pace.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I should note that 95% of this has been treadmill work. Last night was the first time I have run a mile on foot (no treadmill). I did it on a track and finished in 10:12. It was an accomplishment for me. I then walked and jogged another mile in alternating laps. The humidity is fairly low right now (thank God), but the temperature was 105-106.

At the gym, I have been alternating a 1/2 mile jog and 1/4 mile walk and can do so without killing myself.

I will continue to interval train and see about slowing my pace down on the longer runs and see what happens