Stopped already? Am I just impatient or am I doing somethin

Options
Hi all,

I've been doing this a few weeks now, being totally honest with my diary. I have exercised most days using DVD's, a combo of a few different Davina ones and 30 Day Shred. The first week I lost 4lb which I know is normal, then lost another 1lb the second week which I was happy with and hoped to maintain as a steady loss - but since then I've put back on 2lb and I don't know why?

I've had a couple of slips (mainly alcohol related :embarassed: ) but for the most part have kept to the goal and done daily exercise.

So, as in the title - am I just being impatient or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance
xx

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You could be holding water. Drink lots and lots of water and keep the alcohol to a relatively rare treat and count the calories.
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It took me 5 weeks when I started working out to consistently lose weight. Give your body time and you will reach your goals. Oh and make sure you drink lots of water all the time (especially when you drink alcohol.) :drinker:
  • MOMSHOME
    MOMSHOME Posts: 72
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I work out every day and ride my bike almost every day. My husband says I am gaining muscle. I can see a difference (and have done the 30 day shred and just started doing another workout with Bob just th change it up some) but I am not loosing any weight. My weight has been the same the last 2 weeks. So I am guessing that my husband is right and I am not loosing weight because I am gaining muscle
  • jess9897
    jess9897 Posts: 30
    Options
    Don't stop too soon! I feel your pain. I tend to fluctuate a good bit too. But water weight can be to blame for that. You really got to give it your all when it comes to this whole weight loss thing! I mean...we all slip up, that's normal, but I think most of us are trying to make a lifestyle change...so you've got to push yourself to see those results you want. For some people weight loss is harder to achieve than it is for other people. I'm one of those people that has a hard time, mainly because I've been trying to lose it for so long, and I'm very physically active, so it's more of a diet problem. And you've got to watch that alcohol. I know when I drink a little more than usually it can hurt my weight on that scale. Treat yourself a couple times a month maybe? Making small and big goals also helps keep you going. I promise it's worth it!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    It could have just been a slip up with the drinks, what did you have? If I have a drink it's a Vodka and Tonic with Lime. Also, try to change up your exercises, or push it a little farther, your body will get used to certain movements.
  • ccdeeley
    ccdeeley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others said. Even if it's not water, sometimes the body is just going to do what it wants. There will be weeks when you maintain, and weeks where you gain. And you can't hate yourself for having the occassional slip - we need them for mental health. But as long as you keep working at it, you'll get there in the end. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I agree that drinking 8-10 8oz glasses a day will help shed the weight. BUT your body is also going through an adjustment. I had a week or two dtall then a 3 or 4 lb drop over 2 weeks then another stall. it really has to do with WHAT KINDS OF FOODS you're consuming as FUEL, not just staying in the calories. Consider the addage you are what you eat. It's so true that in order to get lean and build muscle you need to be consuming lots of FRESH foods, limiting the processed/packaged/fastfood foods. And also consider the "3-2-1" idea of eating the heaviest calories at breakast, and getting lighter as the day goes on. This way you're kicking your metabolism in the rear and not making your body work extra hard to digest as you're laying down to sleep. Just some things to think about. But most importantly, don't grow impatient and quit. :) You're on the right road! You didn't gain all your weight over night, so you're surely not going to lose it over night! Cheers :drinker:
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I may be a party pooper, but....no alcohol. It's just one thing I cannot and won't put into my body. If you're very active, try a gallon of water a day. I exercise about 2 hours a day/6 days a week and my first week I took off 5lbs., and about 2.5-3 every week (I'm at the bare minimum of what a person should be eating though so it plays a role). My body did amazing things once I ditched the wine.
  • ccdeeley
    ccdeeley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also - if you give up, you're DEFINITELY not going to lose weight, so you might as well keep plugging away at it.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Lose the alcohol. It will help you retain water. Drink lots more water and try some green tea. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing and you should see it start back up again.
  • melissa2807
    melissa2807 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I must firstly say that I'm not actually an alcoholic... :laugh: I've just had a few birthdays to go to recently. Normally I will drink maybe once a month if that but when I do go out, I really go out... :embarassed:

I have been drinking as much water as I can handle and most of my food is made from scratch - all my weight has come from eating good stuff, but huge amounts of it!

I will keep going, I might as well have eaten chocolate for the last few weeks if I quit now... just needed a bit of reassurance I guess to tell me that it will happen!

Thanks you again
    xx