HRM chafing

CeejayGee
CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a Polar FT7. Lately if I wear it any length of time (like 1hr+ workouts), it ends up rubbing me raw on the side of my chest where the hook attaches. (I am female - so it's sorta on the area between my breast and rib). Does anyone else experience this?

When I'm actually out and about exercising, I don't notice it. But, then I'll get home and it'll will have rubbed a wound (that I sometimes don't notice until I get in the shower and the water hits it - OUCH).

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    I also have the polar FT7 but I don't have that issue. Is your strap too loose? Is your sports bra rubbing the band and increasing the friction that way? Try putting a band aid on the area when you run. I know it will not fix the reason it is rubbing, but at least it will heal and prevent a new wound.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Oh, God, yes. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My transmitter seems to chafe the underside of my left breast, and I have no idea how. Maybe my sports bra isn't tight enough? Anyway, it sucks.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    I've never had that problem. Just a few ideas - It's too loose? tight? It needs to be moved up or down a bit? Otherwise you may be able to wrap a piece of soft cloth around the hook without covering the sensors.
  • CeejayGee
    Oh, God, yes. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! My transmitter seems to chafe the underside of my left breast, and I have no idea how. Maybe my sports bra isn't tight enough? Anyway, it sucks.

It HURTS too. And once it was so bad (b/c I ended up wearing the HRM for like 3 hours) that I had this scab for a week!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Doesn't happen try readjusting it or put a piece of soft fabric like a fuzzy sock not to much to where it would effect the use of the chest band
  • CeejayGee
    I've never had that problem. Just a few ideas - It's too loose? tight? It needs to be moved up or down a bit? Otherwise you may be able to wrap a piece of soft cloth around the hook without covering the sensors.

Well, it can't really move up anymore b/c I have breasts - so, the strap basically runs right underneat my the elastic band of my bra.

I suppose I can try tightening it and seeing if that helps, though it's somewhat snug.

The bandaid idea is a good one. It'll at least protect the area! Or I thought about wrapping gauze around the clip where it attaches, to make it softer.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Mine does it too when I wear it for over an hour. I've resorted to putting a folded paper towel between me and the hook.
  • CeejayGee
    Mine does it too when I wear it for over an hour. I've resorted to putting a folded paper towel between me and the hook.

Good idea. And, good to see it does it to a guy too. I thought maybe it was just a boob thing...
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I've never had that problem, but my watch is an older F6 model (which needs new batteries and I don't want to part with it to send it in for service! :sad: but I digress...) Does it have the same T-31 type transmitter?

I'd also suggest maybe using a band-aid or even athletic tape to cover that spot, to at least help protect your skin.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I've never had that problem, but my watch is an older F6 model (which needs new batteries and I don't want to part with it to send it in for service! :sad: but I digress...) Does it have the same T-31 type transmitter?

I'd also suggest maybe using a band-aid or even athletic tape to cover that spot, to at least help protect your skin.
    I couldn't find a small enough screw driver to open the back of my watch, so I took it to a watch shop at the local mall. $10 and 20 minutes later, I had a new battery installed. Wouldn't hurt to take it to one in your area to see if they can replace it for you.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Can you try body glide there? I don't use a HRM, so Idon't know if that would affect it or not. I'm afraid a bandaid would rub too.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member

I couldn't find a small enough screw driver to open the back of my watch, so I took it to a watch shop at the local mall. $10 and 20 minutes later, I had a new battery installed. Wouldn't hurt to take it to one in your area to see if they can replace it for you.

What about the transmitter? Do I just have to get a new one? (I *do* need a new elastic strap anyways, it's going on 3 years and isn't so elastic anymore lol)
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NuMetrex_Bra

This looks like it could solve the chafing problem.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    I have problems too!! I have the F4

I first had it from the strap, under my transmitter. But that was only once. I tightened it up and it helped. I think that chafing comes from it moving around once you are sweating and moving around.

I get chafing in another spot....

I wear the transmitter between "the girls" best I can..so that the strap rides above the strap of my sports bra. The problem I get is the girls get chafed from hitting the transmitter. And I wear 2 sports bras!! This is only when I run on the treadmill as I run for 30 consistent minutes. It's horrible...I've chafed so bad that I've actual CUT the girls and have scars from after it healed. And HOLY HURTS in the shower when the soap washes away the sweat and it all gets in the chafes!!

So last time I ran, I put some t paper between the transmitter and the girls. It helped. Never thought I'd have to pad my DDs!!! lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I have problems too!! I have the F4

I first had it from the strap, under my transmitter. But that was only once. I tightened it up and it helped. I think that chafing comes from it moving around once you are sweating and moving around.

I get chafing in another spot....

I wear the transmitter between "the girls" best I can..so that the strap rides above the strap of my sports bra. The problem I get is the girls get chafed from hitting the transmitter. And I wear 2 sports bras!! This is only when I run on the treadmill as I run for 30 consistent minutes. It's horrible...I've chafed so bad that I've actual CUT the girls and have scars from after it healed. And HOLY HURTS in the shower when the soap washes away the sweat and it all gets in the chafes!!

So last time I ran, I put some t paper between the transmitter and the girls. It helped. Never thought I'd have to pad my DDs!!! lol

Are you wearing it over the girls or under? Your supposed to be wearing it under... like the bottom of the sports bra, and then the strap should sit flush against the bottom of the bra.

To OP: I have an FT7 and have never had an issue with chaffing... I think that a bandaid or maybe wrapping a piece of medical tape around that area should help.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member

This is super easy to do. Don't send it off. Just be careful. Pull the screws and take the back off. There's a little gasket make sure it stays in place. This is the reason they say you have to send it off. Replace the battery (CR2032). Put back on again and make sure gasket is still there. Replace the screws. I just did it with my F6 a month or so ago.

Edit - Your transmitter will still work. Replace it only if you need to.
  • deanadimples
    Are you wearing it over the girls or under? Your supposed to be wearing it under... like the bottom of the sports bra, and then the strap should sit flush against the bottom of the bra.

Under.....it's the underside of the girls that get chafed.

The strap for the F4 is just above the bra strap. Best I can figure, my bras still have some wiggle room even though it's tight with the 2 bras together. They still seem to move just enough that I get a repetitive movement againsnt the corners of the F4. I've tried all difefrent spots, with the room I have to work with in there. And it's only if I run 30 mins straight. If I do a regular workout with various exercises, I'm fine. But if I run, it's like they move just enough against the transmitter to cut. So...I pad.
  • CeejayGee
    The strap for the F4 is just above the bra strap. Best I can figure, my bras still have some wiggle room even though it's tight with the 2 bras together. They still seem to move just enough that I get a repetitive movement againsnt the corners of the F4. I've tried all difefrent spots, with the room I have to work with in there. And it's only if I run 30 mins straight. If I do a regular workout with various exercises, I'm fine. But if I run, it's like they move just enough against the transmitter to cut. So...I pad.

Can you move it down just a bit? So that the girls don't touch it, but it's still within reach to measure heart?
  • deanadimples
    There isnt much room to move it down...it's nearly to the strap of my bras. Im hoping I will eventually lose enough cup size. Then maybe I will be able to find a more "cuplike" sports bra to try.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    There isnt much room to move it down...it's nearly to the strap of my bras. Im hoping I will eventually lose enough cup size. Then maybe I will be able to find a more "cuplike" sports bra to try.

Did you ever look at Under Armor? Last time I was at their outlet, they had a lot of sports bras with cup sizes and I want to say they went up to DD.. it's something to look into.
This discussion has been closed.