Age old question ... which is heavier muscle or fat?

Options
I'm want an answer to the age old question which is heavier muscle or fat?

Replies

• 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    A pound of fat is roughly the size of a large grapefruit, a pound of muscle about the size of a tennis ball..

Hope that helps.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Exactly what 46 said. A pound is a pound but the area a pound of fat takes up is more than what a pound of muscle takes up.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm want an answer to the age old question which is heavier muscle or fat?

Neither... One pound of fat and one pound of muscle weigh the same.....One Pound

The mass however is different. Muscle takes up less space than fat. :)
  • bubbab666
    Options
    A pound is a pound: fat, muscle,bone or monkey poo.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Here we go again....
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned ....a pound is still a pound if it is fat or muscle but muscle is more dense and takes up less space under the skin.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound: fat, muscle,bone or monkey poo.

hahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Technically neither of them are heavier then the other because a lb is a lb, BUT a lb of fat takes up way more space then a lb of muscle so muscle weighs more then fat per volume. When speaking about weight it really only makes sense to measure per volume.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think you are correct in saying that muscle is heavier than fat, just like a brick is heavier than a feather. Yes, a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers both weigh a pound but it takes a lot more feathers to make up that pound.

So yes, muscle is heavier. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

So two people (of the same height) could weigh the same, but if one person has more muscle/less fat, they would look slimmer.
  • mmarkling
    Options
    I agree...a pound of muscle is not heavier, nor lighter, than a pound of fat - they're both a pound. The difference is, the muscle is more compact and lean than the fat which takes up more space. There is so much information on the web which has clarified so many questions for me regarding women and weightlifting - I was one of the ladies who previously bought into the myth that heavy weightlifting would make me big and bulky - not true!! Below is a really good link to a website I found very helpful. Good luck!

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/workout-routines-for-women/
  • twiniemily
    Options
    Thank you the sensible replies to my question - really guys any need for such sarcasm?