Lost weight in 24hrs?

Options
First let me say if this question was posted somewhere else I am sorry for repeating it, I did search this subject & didn't find it.
Ok so now for my question- Every Monday morning I weigh-in (which I did yesterday), this morning I got on the scale again just for the heck of it (about the same time of day as yesterday) and now it is reading about 1lb less. Is it possible to loose weight in 24hrs? Should I log this today as a weight loss or should I wait until next Monday?

Replies

• HazelGal
    HazelGal Posts: 12
    Options
    Probably water weight. Tricky stuff. Don't log it, but deff stay hydrated =D
  • dleon7900
    Options
    i know that weight can fluctuate for various reasons. if I were you, I'd wait and log it next Monday, just so that you are getting a consistent reading on your weight loss over time.
  • chubbychristianchick
    chubbychristianchick Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I track my weight daily. The ups and the downs. I like to be able to see what influences my weight based upon work-outs, foods, water intake ect. As for tracking. I always record my current lowest weight.
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's water weight loss.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I "lost" 2.5 pounds over the course of a 1.5 hour nap a few days ago. Weight can fluctuate a lot, which is why it's often recommended to look for a general trend rather than pay that much attention to each specific weigh-in.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Tempting, but just wait. If it's a true loss itll still be there next Monday, and maybe a bit more besides.
  • pippyrlz23
    pippyrlz23 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's possible depending on how much was water weight, if you did extra exercise yesterday, etc. Honestly, I log about every other day...some days I lose nothing, some days I lose .5lbs, it all depends. The tricky thing with logging it is weight can fluctuate so if you decide to log it, don't be frustrated if you get on the scale next Monday and don't see any additional loss. Good luck! :-)
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    That's why you only do it once a week ;-)

I have experienced the same thing - it could be water, it could be wet vs dry hair, it could be sodium retention, it could be anything...

Only once a week, the rest of the time, check it for fun but don't log or take it seriously!
  • slimothy89
    Options
    It could be that you sweated, pissed, and did the number 2! LOL. Thats a great way to lose weight! LOL.

I have had this happen to me more than dozen times. However, your weight can go UP due to water weight as well as down. If you lost a pound this morning before anything entered your body, and after you took your morning urination.. most likely it is weight loss. That is your most accurate weight. Early in the morning!

Whenever it happens to me I just drink water until the middle of the day, after i work out and weigh myself again. If it goes up like 2 pounds its just water, but if its one...its water weight that is gone.

It is possible to lose 1 pound a day, but people will say its not, because it mostly only happens to men. I lost 2 pounds in the last two days. But don't log it until Monday. That way maybe you'll have a 2 pound weight loss! LOL
  • slimothy89
    Options
    Also its better to focus on something else. LIke inches, or improvement in exercises. Before you know it..you will be too tired to check the scale, and when you do it will be big loss!
  • eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It could be that you sweated, pissed, and did the number 2! LOL. Thats a great way to lose weight! LOL.

I have had this happen to me more than dozen times. However, your weight can go UP due to water weight as well as down. If you lost a pound this morning before anything entered your body, and after you took your morning urination.. most likely it is weight loss. That is your most accurate weight. Early in the morning!

Whenever it happens to me I just drink water until the middle of the day, after i work out and weigh myself again. If it goes up like 2 pounds its just water, but if its one...its water weight that is gone.

It is possible to lose 1 pound a day, but people will say its not, because it mostly only happens to men. I lost 2 pounds in the last two days. But don't log it until Monday. That way maybe you'll have a 2 pound weight loss! LOL

Thank You. Yes both yesterday & today's log were about 10mins after waking & using the bathroom. I did not eat or drink anything.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have lost 5 lbs in one day, and gained nearly 10 in another--water, workouts (and whether or how much you stretch afterwards), hormones, sodium, sleep, and a MILLION other things affect your weight daily (or sometimes even hourly!). Some folks swear by weighing daily (look-up 'secostley' as a username if you want a friend who does this, w/all sorts of info and tips on how and why it works for him)... others, like myself, find it is so volitile that it does more harm than good (see before mentioned 10 lbs in one day!!!). I only log my weigh-ins about every two weeks at this point, but when I am in a challenge I religiously only do it at the once/week time... usually I see happy news this way!

What ever you decide, try to be consistent--just one more good habit to help you on your journey :happy:
    *edited to correct secostley's username!
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs between yesterday and today and I'm almost positive mine is due to sodium and water retention. I had a brutal weekend (drinking, late night eating, hangover eating, etc) and I know it was the salt and water being flushed out of my body.
  • eichhorst
    eichhorst Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reply's. I don't think I am going to log it as a loss right now but after giving this alot of thought I think I am going to switch my weigh-in day to Friday. To be honest sometimes I don't eat quite as healthy on the weekends or consume alcohol which could be giving me a higher reading because I am retaining water or whatever.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    It is weight loss. As someone mentioned, it likely water weight, but weight loss nonetheless. I don't see a problem in tracking it. I track every day's weight. Sometimes I go up , sometimes I go down. If you're going to do that though, make sure you understand that the daily weight is not very telling and that it's the trend line that is most telling.

One litre of water (not sure how many ounces that is for you Americans), results in 2.2lbs. Considering our body is mostly comprised of water, it's no wonder our wegith fluctuates so much.