Have your goals changed?

I started out with a goal of 20#. In my mind (and I've been pretty lazy for the last 20+ years - I can admit) - 20# was a far reach. I started out by walking. My sister and I would walk 4 miles 3 times a week. There are 2 hills on our walk that were killers. I was also pushing my 2 year old in her stroller, so going up the 2 hills I couldn't even talk. Now to do them - is nothing. When we couldn't walk for whatever reason, I would do a workout on my Wii. I saw the weight start coming off and before I knew it, I had surpassed my 20# goal. I decided to go for a goal of 124#, which would make my weight loss 38#, and put me at a 'healthy weight'. I am nearing my goal to get down to 124# and think that I am not going to be satisfied with it. With only a few more #s to go, I STILL feel "FAT". Sometimes I think I might NEVER be satisfied. I thought reaching my goal of 20# would be it, but I just keep thinking 'a little more'. Have you changed your goal - if so, why - and at what point do you decide you are where you want to be?

Replies

• GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    altho my goal weight is 160lbs, at a certain point i will say 4get the scale & go w/how i feel.

even at 160 i won't b in the "healthy" bmi range but bmi is so outdated i don't even care abt it.

go by how u look/feel.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Yes, originally, I wanted to get to #135 pounds. But now, I'm not so sure that I need or want to go that low. I think I need to reshape what I have more than I need to lose pounds. I'm fitting into size 4's right now and I can see trouble finding clothes that fit if I lose another 15 pounds.

So I'm slowly increasing calories (100kc every week or two) until I"m at maintenance. Then we'll see from there.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    If we don't change we die.

My original goal was to weigh 165lbs. I've since re-evaluated that and it's no longer my goal. My goal is now 159 which is the TOP of my healthy BMI. While BMI isn't the whole picture I do believe that being in the range of healthy BMI IS important.

But I've also added other goals, running a 5K, working out regularly, lifting weights etc.

I continually need new goals to keep me moving and motivated to DO something new and different. Weight loss is not the ultimate goal anymore, being healthy and athletic is :D

The feeling fat part is that you can be skinny fat, what that means is thin and flabby. Weight lifting and strength training is the key to that. Women will NOT bulk up like those bodybuilders you've seen, we get thin and lean and smooth when we lift weights.

Check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's an awesome read.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Yep at first I was only concerned about my weight. Then I realized that there is a lot more to being healthy and the number of pounds you weigh. Now I'm more concerned about my overall nutrition and health. I know my weight will get to be where it needs to be by me eating the way I'm supposed to and taking care of my self.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Originally I wanted to lose 30 pounds...I made that goal...and looking for an additional 10. I feel once I reach that goal I believe I will still be working on toning.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    If we don't change we die.

My original goal was to weigh 165lbs. I've since re-evaluated that and it's no longer my goal. My goal is now 159 which is the TOP of my healthy BMI. While BMI isn't the whole picture I do believe that being in the range of healthy BMI IS important.

But I've also added other goals, running a 5K, working out regularly, lifting weights etc.

I continually need new goals to keep me moving and motivated to DO something new and different. Weight loss is not the ultimate goal anymore, being healthy and athletic is :D

The feeling fat part is that you can be skinny fat, what that means is thin and flabby. Weight lifting and strength training is the key to that. Women will NOT bulk up like those bodybuilders you've seen, we get thin and lean and smooth when we lift weights.

Check out the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's an awesome read.
    Will look into this book...Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member

Maybe this is how I feel? I had a baby at 40 - and she just turned 2. I have my 'baby belly' - that is a bugger to get rid of. I had 2 c-sections and it just seems the muscles don't tone up like they used to. I have toned up my arms and my legs intensely, and despite doing cruches and situps, the baby belly seems to hang with me. Maybe it's my age - maybe I just need to be a little more aggressive? But, my belly is the 'skinny fat' thing you speak of!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Crunches and sit ups are the worst way to get a flat belly. There are so many other GREAT Core exercises for tummies. I'm using P90X's Ab Ripper video, plus the strength training for my over all body and finding that I'm losing inches off my belly (my tough spot too).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I am 6 pounds from my goal and feeling soft around the middle, enough where 6 pounds won't cut it. I decided to stick with my original goal and I just started doing Pilates to strengthen my core (previously I only did cardio). I am going to let Pilates do its magic for a couple months then see if I like where I am or if I think I need to lose additional pounds. From the loss of pound #1 I have said I want to lose 30 pounds but reserve the right to change my goal when I get there. :bigsmile: