50 lbs to lose

Options
I am so inspired reading all of your success stories. I'm hoping that my story will be the same. 50 pounds is a lot, so I'm thinking it's best to start with small goals? I guess everyone starts at 1200 calories a day? That doesn't seem like very much, but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks to this site for existing and giving us inspiration to change our lives!

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    50 pounds seems like a lot, til one day you wake up and have lost 45! It's mind boggling. Start with small goals, like lose X amount this month, and it's less daunting. The most you should safely lose is 2 pounds per week. And set your goals in MFP and they will tell you how many calories you need.

Good luck!
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You'll love it here! I've got about the same goal and I'm about 5 months in. It's changed my life! Friend me if you want : )
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My calories was based on my goals as well as activity level, I have 1460 cals daily. Welcome to the site and the best of luck to you.
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree 50 pounds sounds like alot, but once you get into a routine that you can follow, your brain will be on autopilot. Then you will wake up and wonder why your clothes are so baggy. I started in March of this year and wonder why people at work will not stop talking about my weight loss (I am shy) and then I look down and realized that I lost ALOT of weight, 71 pounds since then. So you will definitely get there! This is a great site and alot of people are very helpful.
  • PageSalyers
    PageSalyers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I thought getting 1700 calories a day was not much, but trust me, its a TON!
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have a similar goal and I know it can seem daunting when you try to wrap your brain around it. But we can do it! Friend me if you want!
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42lbs since April 30th - it seemed so daunting at the time, and seems so quick now! The other 50+ I need to lose are looking daunting, but I know I'll do it :)

If you exercise, you get to eat more calories, just try to spend your calories on good foods and the weight will keep going down. I find sugar free jelly helpful for those time I just want to fill me face!!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! 1200 cals isn't a lot, but remember, MFP has already given you a 1000 cal per day deficit, if your goal is -2 lbs a week, so any exercise calories you earn, you get to EAT! So really you could have much more than 1200 cals a day if you are exercising regularly. Make sure you eat those exercise cals! Gotta fuel that amazing machine you were blessed with. :~)
  • crobinson53
    Options
    I am so inspired reading all of your success stories. I'm hoping that my story will be the same. 50 pounds is a lot, so I'm thinking it's best to start with small goals? I guess everyone starts at 1200 calories a day? That doesn't seem like very much, but I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks to this site for existing and giving us inspiration to change our lives!

Most of us are still works in progress!! Congratulations on joining and changing your life!! Please remember that 1200 calories is just baseline for weightloss without working out. I recommend buying a heart rate monitor to track your calories burned. You can eat back your exercise calories and still lose weight!
  • annetterene
    Options
    Take it one step at a time! I just hit 50 lbs today! 52.3 to be exact :happy: I've been really trying to focus less on the number and more on how I feel. My first goal was to lower my cholesterol.
  • rparisean
    rparisean Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been here one week and at first I was hungry exercise calories help. Cutting out sugar, oil, and butter gives you more food. If you eat right 1200-1400 calories is a lot. I make a smoothee with one banna, ice, splenda, and 1/2 cup of milk fills me up and is only 300 calories. Veggies have very few calories load up on them. I have lost 4 pounds this week and I have 76 to go. Welcome
  • savorydeb
    savorydeb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm trying this again. I just need your support because I can give you all kinds of reasons why I can't stay with it, company arriving, wine drinking life style, vacations and stress. This 50 pounds has been on for twenty years. Lots of diets, loose/gain. Trying to stay motivated.....off to the treadmill for 30 min. Thanks for listening.