Put down the damn Twinkie!!

Options
My new idea for gauging hunger seems to help and I thought I'd pass it along!

Start with a 10 scale. Gauge your how hungry you are on that scale. I don't want to get above a 4.

HUNGER SCALE

1= Not one bit hungry

2= Drink of water satisifies me

3= Comfortable... but if you waived a cupcake in front of my face... I'd eat it.

4= The thought of food is starting to envelope my thoughts.

5= My stomach is starting to grumble - I need food.

6= Really Food Network? What you are making JUST so happens to be what I want.

7= "Lay off me I'm starving!"

8= I want to devour anything quick and easy. Quick/Easy=Crap

9= Remember the cupcake from #3? I'd probably tackle you for it, then lick your fingers when I was done with mine.

10=So hungry, I would eat the *kitten* out of a dead horse.

Next, rate your satiety as your eating. After your first bite, rate your hunger. A few bites in, rate it again. The more I eat, the more it doesn't taste as good as it originally sounded. I have left food on my plate for the first time.... well, ever... since starting to do this.

What do you do to help control your hunger??

Replies

• sara_j_barnard
    Options
    This is great. I saw something the other day that said: "Eat less. Taste more." It made me realize how little I really taste what I'm eating most times. I almost ALWAYS eat way too fast.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am on a schedule. I do my best to eat at the same time every day. Also I eat 4 smaller meals, and snack if I need to
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 times a day..every few hours. Small meals only...300-400 calories for meals and up to 200 for snacks. I'm never THAT hungry. I feel like I have more control because I'm not to the point of starving..ever.

Love #9, by the way...been there! :O)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I really NEED a good dead horse *kitten* recipe, I'm SO tired of putting it in the crock pot. How do you prepare it, what are your faves?? smiley-happy112.gif
  • Rubyjjones
    Options
    I am trying to slow down and turning off the T.V. so I can pay attention to what I am eating :)
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    LOL @ 9 I actually had this happen to me I waived a cup cake in a dieting friends face before I had to diet and apparently she was really hungry and I ended up with a sprained wrist and ankle. LESSON LEARNED NEVER WAIVE A CUP CAKE IN THE FACE OF A DIETER!
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I really NEED a good dead horse *kitten* recipe, I'm SO tired of putting it in the crock pot. How do you prepare it, what are your faves?? smiley-happy112.gif

Hahahahaha :laugh:
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Drink ice water
    Choose healthy snacks
    Brush my teeth (you never want to eat after you just brushed)
    Whiten my teeth (can't eat while whitening them)
  • Obstinate07
    Options
    I never thought about a scale, but I actually like yours lol. Might have to try it.
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I was in the army, There was a guy in my outfit that was always first in line at the mess hall, and the last to leave after dinner.
    He heaped it on, but ate very slow, chewing chewing etc. And he didn't talk much, but he was the slimmest guy in the hall. I even remember his name. But I can't remember the name of the fat guy who read paperbacks while he ate.
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    7= "Lay off me I'm starving!"

This makes me LOL!! I *loved* Chris Farley!!! :)
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    LOL at this whole thread. As for the dead horse *kitten* recipe, I tend to marinate mine and grill it for about a minute on each side, then serve it up with some A1 sauce. Sodium levels be damned. :tongue:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I eat every few hours, so I don't have this problem. The only time I find myself extremely hungry is if I skip my pre-gym healthy snack!
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just fit whatever foods I want into my daily macro/cal needs.

There is no rational reason to deem certain foods "unhealthy". The calories from a twinkie are seen exactly the same way as equivalent calories from any other food.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just fit whatever foods I want into my daily macro/cal needs.

There is no rational reason to deem certain foods "unhealthy". The calories from a twinkie are seen exactly the same way as equivalent calories from any other food.

Eh... the Twinkie header was just to grab attention! =)

On a side note though, I disagree with the 'no rational' response. Calories may be the same but the make up of the food (Saturated/Unsaturated Fats, Sodium, Sugars, etc) is what makes it 'unhealthy'. 300 Calories from a Twinkie vs. 300 Calories from mixed veggies may add up to the same caloric content but please don't tell me you agree that one is just healthy as the other.
  • justcallmejennifer
    justcallmejennifer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    love this!
  • sara_j_barnard
    Options

I also wonder about the stuff that they don't include in the "nutrition facts." What do the cells in raw veggies have to offer us versus what makes up a Twinkie? I think there must be a lot more to food than the stuff we (and by "we" I mean scientists :) ) have been able to quantify.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options

well since you're asking....

1. marinate said dead horse butt in beer (any kind will do) overnight THEN throw in crockpot w/ sliced carrots, potatos & red onions.
    2. BBQ SAUCE BBQ SAUCE BBQ SAUCE + charcoal fire grill = tastey treat
    3. season w/ salt, pepper & oregano. then mix 1/2c of butter for every lb of butt & 1/4c minced garlic for every lb of butt in a bowl. take garlic butter mix and rub thoroughly over horse butt. bake at 325 @ a rate of 20min per lb of horse butt.

lemme know how you like these variations (hehehe)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Dead Horse *kitten*...or DHA...isn't that what's in a hot dog?
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Dead Horse *kitten*...or DHA...isn't that what's in a hot dog?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.