Over 50 and still at it....

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and I love the app. Tracking has always been one of the top 3 most effective tools for me in my many bouts of losing weight, along with healthy food and exercise. Every time I quit doing it, I may do ok for awhile, but then the pounds creep back on. So here I am....

I 've been thinking about long term goals as I create my own program. So far, all I am doing is maintaining my current weight, mostly because I really don't want or am unable to change certain food-related behaviors. These are primarily bedtime snacking on kashi bars and milk, and eating whatever I want on the weekends/not sticking with regular food/exercise schedule. So the real question is, do I want to LOSE weight or am I happy maintaining it? Losing weight means changing these behaviors but feeling better when I look in the mirror (also feeling better inside: no more "I'm a dumpy grandmother-aged woman" comments to myself). Maintaining my weight means I get to do what I am doing, including my daily kashi bar 'reward' system, without much effort, but also a subtle sense of not being the best me I can be - not living up to my own ideal self.

Most of the posts I've seen, you all look a good bit younger than I am (53). It has seemed to me that the great majority of information about exercise and diet is aimed at much younger people (except for the ones that show the one-in-a-million 70 y.o. triathlete - something I have never aspired to and certainly don't want to try for now!) I was wondering if there are any other people out there doing this who face the challenges of reaching middle age (slower metabolisms, slower recovery rates from strenuous exercise, having to change exercise programs due to physical difficulties such as arthritis, odd menopausal symptoms, etc.? I'd really like to share tips, strengths, what works, what doesn't, etc.

Surely I am not alone in this on this planet of billions! :wink:

Hope to hear from some of you....

PainterB

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hiya. and welcome to the rest of your healthy life *S*

(i am 55 next month *S*)
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 47 and still going strong. Welcome aboard! Feel free to add me.
  • eventgal
    eventgal Posts: 29
    Options
    PainterB, you are not alone!! I'm new to MFP myself (only a few days old, in fact)! I certainly understand the "issues" we oldsters face -- I am about to hit the big 5 - 3 myself.

Did you ever feel like the magazines lied when they said you could lose 20 pounds in two weeks? Did you ever feel like the TV ad programs were telling a story when they said you could take their product and lose an amazing 50 pounds? Did you ever feel like some skinny friends just didn't understand your struggle? Their eyes glaze over when you talk about menopause, thyroid disease, sugar intolerance, and estrogen dominance. Well, I'm right there with you, girlfriend.

The good news is, I found a doctor who actually did a blood work-up and urinalysis on me. He determined herbal treatments for the above issues. I am so pleased to say that I am finally making progress. It didn't take long for the fatigue to melt away and a new energy took it's place. Yes! There is life after 50! Stay tuned, because I've only gotten started.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the best site EVER! I'm 47 and in the best shape of my entire life! You can do this, just need to push harder! Good luck!
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Come & join us at the Women Ages 50+ For August thread. You'll be most welcome!
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    welcome, i know u cann do this....we are here for u ....lets support each other..welcome:smile:
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, and am 54 . Made a mistake already by miscalculating my weight in lbs! So it looks like i' ve lost way more than I have. I like this app alot .
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and have chronic pain issues, so I cannot do some of the Insanity, Shred, etc. workouts the younger folks do. I am able to do the elliptical since it is less bouncy & jarring on my innards, and I just started Pilates to help improve my strength & flexibility. Feel free to add me is you wish, and that goes for any other 50-ish folks out there reading this. :flowerforyou:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    double post
  • Debi907
    Debi907 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I thought your post was written by me! We're the same age. Yay us! I think the fact that we're older, we don't always WANT to deprive ourselves of something we want, like a great piece of chocolate. We know life is short. BUT we also want to be healthy so if you're happy & healthy where you're at right now...who cares?! I'm certainly not going to live my life trying to get rid of a few extra pounds. MFP makes me think of what I put in my mouth & I decide if it's worth it or not. Those Funyuns I had for lunch? Totally worth it today. Good luck! It's so nice to hear from others around my age. :happy:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm 55 and life is great! Feel free to friend me--lots of great people on this site to help you with your goals.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm 51, and I'm doing The 17 Day Diet. You can find me on the 17 Day Diet thread, or you can read my blog where I share my experiences with this diet. It's not for everyone, but it's doing wonders for me!

:drinker:

Ice
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm 51, and I'm doing The 17 Day Diet. You can find me on the 17 Day Diet thread, or you can read my blog where I share my experiences with this diet. It's not for everyone, but it's doing wonders for me!

:drinker:

Ice
  • redi2
    redi2 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello.. you are not alone here. :)) I started out very slowly in January with my husband. I did not want to make any big changes and thought if I lost 10 pounds I would be happy.. But I have now lost over 20 and it gets easier and easier to be healthy. I am eating better and exercising. :) I would like to lose 5 more to get me in the middle of normal. my husband has lost over 70 pounds since we joined MFP. :))
    I am just now starting to add friends on here. :) so would love to add more.
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    hI. I am 51. I lost about 8 pounds using MFP slowly over about 5 months and in the last month or two, have mostly maintained weight. I have found MFP great to assist in maintenance so I am going to stick with for a while. But I did have a goal to lose weight, drop my % of body fat, improve my blood numbers (not bad but very slowly degrading over time). Also, I decided I want to fit in the "hot for an old lady" category, which starts now, and not when I am 70. Why? vaniity is part of it, but losing weight, lowering % of body fat, and improving all the blood numbers (cholestrol, sugar, etc.) makes me "hot" on the inside of my body too. So I want to be a pretty damn good looking old lady not just outside but inside my body. I want to be really fit and active, and doing fun cool things when I am 70 or 80 or 90. I don't want to be stuck with a walker, but I want to be WALKING and hiking and traveling and bikiing and running with my dog and getting up off the coaach because if feels good and is beautiful outside. So you have to pick your OWN goal. No one can do that for you.
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello...welcome. I too am in the same boat as you. Much tougher at this age to keep the pounds from adding on. Would be happy to support you on your journey. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hello all you beautiful 50-ish ladies!!!!! Yay! I'm not alone! I see all these young one's posting about doing the Insanity, Shred or P90x whatever work outs and I feel OLD!!! lol....I'm not afraid to admit it...some of these newer work outs coming out are just too intense and fast paced for me! I consider myself in good shape, I been working out all my adult life but working out in your 50's is a whole lot different then when you were a young'n of 30! And I too have the challenges of peri-menopause (haven't gone through the change yet but my hormones and periods are all over the map!!) And the fatigue from whacked out hormones!!!!! Omg! I really have to push to get through a work out somedays.

It's great know there are so many of us out there in the same boat!

Please feel free to friend me:))))
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older, but love this site, the people here and what they have helped me accomplish. And really, if you are basically a healthy eater you can eat what you want, just really control your portions. I have my snacks every day! MFP is truly a fountain of youth if you make it so. I will be 61 in Sept.
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am also 53 and recently started doing CrossFit. They start everyone at their own level, I don't think even an athelete can walk through the door and do all the moves on the first day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. I am a Tai Chi instructor. I do elliptical or treadmill for cardio and weight training most days.