Gardener's delight!

Options
shelbygeorge29
shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
August is one of my favorite months of the year, it's when my garden is in full swing and daily I go out and pick everything I need for a salad. I have spinach, a variety of lettuces, tons of herbs, celery, carrots, onions, broccoli, snap peas, 3 types of squash, 8 types of heirloom tomatoes (I have green, purple, orange, yellow, and even black tomatoes in addition to red varities), garlic, eggplant, green peppers and jalepenos.

What other crops are people growing?

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    nothing..because the wildlife at my hosue EAT IT ALL!! Herbs are about all I can make last....yum basil.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I always start off well by sowing seeds but never have the time to spend looking after them even though I have a huge garden. I'm afraid it's just a question of time but I would love to grow my own.
  • shelbygeorge29
    Options
    I'm very fortunate to be at a high enough elevation that I don't have that problem. My friends that live just 30 minutes from me have to go to great lengths to keep the critters at bay.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Having a blast here in TN gardening for the first time and it's a success. The only thing that really hasn't done too well are my tomatoes. Seems to be a bad tomato year around here for some reason. But we had lots of success with cucumbers, yellow squash, eggplant, basil, luffa, okra, cantaloupes, watermelon, jalapenos and bell peppers. My cantaloupes are the best I've ever tasted! I now have acorn squash starting to get ready. Just ate my first one and it too was so delish!

But the garden has worn me out. It's great picking stuff and having so much good stuff to eat but the cucumbers and yellow squash have me begging for mercy and no where to put it all. I sure wish I could email it to people.
  • shelbygeorge29
    Options
    Yes, the cukes and squah just explode! I have a friend who owns a restaurant and he gets lots of my bounty. I'm going to be moving so I won't this year, but in years past I have also pickled a lot. It's quite a joy in January to open up a jar of your homegrown goodness. My dad says his city girl is turning into a pioneer woman!
  • Thurine
    Thurine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have watermelon and pumpkins growing. The squirrels took care of my corn so I will not be growing that again. I also have a large patch of potatoes that we enjoy well into the fall. I love seeing the garden this time of year!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    Just tried asparagus for the first time this year. I bought 2yr old plants & can't harvest it til next year, but I can't wait! They're my favorite veggie & so expensive, Why wouldn't I grow them?! I also planted spaghetti squash for the first time this year. I thought they'd grow like a zucchini, but not so! More like pumpkins! They took over everything!! Got a ton of squash tho & its delicious. I've been playing around with artichokes, too. You only yeild one per plant tho & they're hard to winter, so I usually just let them bloom cuz they're so pretty & attract a ton of butterflies. My usuals are : brocolli, brussel sprouts, tomatoes (cherry & romas) cukes, sugar snaps, green beans, various lettuces, cabbage, zucchini, acorn squash, strawberries, garlic, onions, jalepenos pepers, bell peppers, chili peppers, basil, parsley, mint, cilantro, I'm sure there's more, but you get the picture! I know I go overboard & I end up giving most of it away. I do try to can or freeze as much as I can. I've been gardening for about 10 years & I'm starting to learn to take it easy on myself, growing things that come back and things that are a little more low maintenance. I keep my garden well mulched so there is little weeding & everything stays moist. It's all trial & error & you learn as you go, having alot of fun along the way!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a gardener too!!! This year I decided to save money and plant everything from seed. I started my seeds in January and was so excited when they began to sprout. Finally in May when it became warm enough to start hardening them off, I began to take them out doors. Sadly, I listened to my friend's horrible advice instead of doing what had worked for me over the past years and.......I lost every plant. :sad: So much for saving money this year.....I was so upset that my hubby took me on a shopping spree at a local nursery.

This year I am growing cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers (green, yellow and red, jalapeno), broccoli raab, spinach, swiss chard, arugula, bok choy (didn't do so well but this was my first attempt), artichokes, bush beans, asparagus (can't harvest for another 2 seasons), white fig (1st year trying), raspberries, blueberries (first year trying at my new house) and kiwi. I also planted herbs and edible flowers - basil, parsley, oregano, cilantro, lavender, peppermint, sage (3 varieties), borage, nastersium, callendula, marigolds, lovage, bay, cat nip and cat grass (for my kitties), sunflowers. I did have strawberries as well but after the harsh winter they didn't come back. =0(

Then of course there are my non-edible sections of my gardens as well filled with impatiens, hollyhocks, hibiscus, daisies, lantanium, fushia, phlox, daylilies, morning glories, nicotania, gloxcinia, zinnea, butterfly bush, salvia and so on.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Live in the city so I only have a potted herb garden. I'm jealous!