A big milestone for me

Options
I've also posted this in the Fitness forum (hope thats not a problem). But I figured I ought to post up this success story as it is a big deal to me..........................

A sincere thanks to those that gave me advice in the "Running endurance" thread. I have always been one to push when working out. I always thought that was the way to train. I have been pushing for the past two months to become somewhat of a runner. Something I have never been. I have done interval training as well as weight training, pushing my breathing and heart rate to the max through doing things like running bleachers and heavy cardio between weight sets. The problem was, I could only push myself to a one mile run before my lungs and heart rate were getting the better of me. I had always walked at a rate of 4.0 and jogged at a rate of 6.0...no particular reason why. That led mo the thread I started to day regarding endurance. I was frustrated.

The answer was so simple, "Slow down"......thats it.

I just ran 4 miles non-stop, at the gym, on a treadmill. Something I have never done before......ever.

My next goal is 3 miles out on the pavement, then through the woods and then entering a Warrior Dash. Thanks for the morale boost.

Replies

• vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Nice and Congrats. I wish my knees could take it. I am a heavy runner with bad knees. I wish I was lighter on my feet.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What great advice! And Warrior Dash is a great goal--it's SO fun :)
  • icanmakepeople
    icanmakepeople Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    what speed did you slow down to? I've just started running myself and am always curious what other people are doing.
  • sbarrett7171
    sbarrett7171 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    went from doing a mile at 6.0 to 4 miles at 5.0
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!