Military wife and SAHM to 3--trying to lose half my body wei

Options
I've been using MFP for a week now, and I'm just now getting around to joining the community here.

I'm Stacey, mom to 3 kids (5, 3, and 1). My husband is in the Army National Guard, and he's leaving in 5 weeks for deployment #3 for yet another year. This will be our 3rd deployment.

Last week I had a major meltdown about my weight and lifestyle. It all started with an innocent comment from my son, asking me why my legs jiggle when I walk. That little question grew into just the motivation I need to finally lose this weight and become a healthy, active person. Oh, and I'll be 30 in about 3 weeks--I want my 30s to be healthy and active, not anything like my 20s!

The last 2 times my husband was deployed, I gained about 15-20 pounds each time. Food is my weakness. I love junk food. I love fast food. I just love food. And it's killing me. I decided that I cannot let myself go any longer. My husband's likely to be in the military for a long time, and I'd weigh over 400 lbs if I continue gaining at my current rate.

My starting weight last Monday was 298. Yesterday when I weighed it, I was at 288.5. I've been using the food journal here on MFP, and I've started exercising at least 30 minutes everyday on an elliptical trainer. My goal is to weigh 150 pounds next September when my DH returns home from his deployment. I know 150 lbs in one year is a lofty goal, but I'm committed to doing this, and I'm doing it the old-fashioned way--exercise and eating healthy.

I hope to get to know you all here and find others going through the same journey to health that I am! :smile:

Replies

• Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP family, we'll keep you going on the right track while your husband's away.

Welcome
  • noturmom
    noturmom Posts: 18
    Options
    What an incredible story! I hope you the best of success in your journey!!! If your looking for a pal add me!!!
  • 2chubby4now
    2chubby4now Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You can do this. Feel free to add me if you would like a friend.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your lifestyle change! We have the same goal!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you on your journey!

A lot of people set mini goals - 10/20 pounds by X date, for example. It kind of breaks things up into manageable pieces, I think. *shrug* Something to think about, but it sure sounds like you're on the right track!
  • Photomandy
    Photomandy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! The more friends you have encouraging you/checking up on you the better! You can do this!
  • ChirishGirl
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! My sister is in the same boat. Hubs is leaving for deployment. She feels bad because she actually does better losing weight when he's not in port, she's all happy and surprises him when he gets off the ship and then once he's home she puts it back on little by little. It's easier for her to stick to a plan when she's not cooking three different types of foods for the hubs, her and the kids.

You'll find your path, you've already started! :)
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just finished my first week as well. Congrats on your first week- your efforts really paid off! You CAN do this- I just know it from reading your post. Day by day, right? Add me as a friend if you wish... Keep up the good work-you are off to a great start!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! This is such a wonderful site, and just full of great people and tools. I know how hard deployments can be, but what a wonderful way to get through it! Feel free to add me if you like and best of luck to you on your journey!!
  • Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Wishing you all the best in success! I sent you a friend request also!
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are - my husband is in the Army Reserve and I'm a SAHM to two kids, 3 and 2 years old. My husband missed my son's birth because he was deployed to Iraq and my son came early :( I know how stressful it is, especially with the little ones. We're here for you!!! Feel free to friend me, I'm also trying to lose over 100 pounds.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    Welcome to the journey. It definately is not always easy but it is worth it. I have been here since May and I too have decided 30 I was going to be more active and healthier than I was at 22. Since April when I turned 30 I have lost 20 pounds. It is a great thing. One of my best suggestions is planning your meals. I try and make multiple lunches and breakfasts in one day because that hour saves me probably an hour the rest of the week at least. It also helps me stick to what I have planned for the week. The other thing I have really enjoyed is the community they are wonderfully supportive and it is nice to know others who struggle. You can do this and you will succeed in being healthy and that is what matters most.
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! I've been in your shoes girl and I totally understand. It's hard when they are deployed especially when you hardly get to talk to them. I'm 32 and a mother of 4 and hitting my 30's overweight was really hard for me especially since I have about 90 lbs to lose. I would be more than happy to help you along this journey! Feel free to add me and we can help motivate each other. :)
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a wonderful site! Good luck on your journey!
  • KimLabora
    KimLabora Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new on this site as well. I have been losing weight for 4 yrs and so far have lost about 170. I am right at 1/2 my original weight. I am trying to kick it into gear for those last few lbs. so far I like the site and like the journalling. the barcode scanning is very very easy!
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hiya!
    I need to lose similar amount of weght so I'll add you as a friend and we can cheer each other on!! we CAN do it!!
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Hiya!
    I have a similar amount of of weight to lose so I'll request your friendship and we can cheer each other on! We CAN do this!!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    HI! Welcome to the weight loss club - you are already rocking some good numbers :) Here are some things I wish I had known earlier in my life:

1. The scale is just 1 evaluation tool. Get a notebook or a calendar and write down as many measurements and facts about your body as you can. Use a tape measure and record neck, chest, bust, individual arms, tummy, hips, individual legs - everything :) Can you do a push up - walk .5 miles? etc write it down and date it. Someday soon you will be amazed at those numbers.

2. Play with the kids. Lift the little one and make funny noises - kick a ball, play hopscotch, dance, swim - wiggle at the dinner table with them. All of the family will benefit from it - and memories will be made :)

3. Weight loss is a long bumpy road. Keep implementing new small changes and goals that you will be keeping forever. Like drinking tons of water, getting a good nights rest, leaving some food on your late at every meal, etc

4. For every decent piece of advice there is 30 crappy ones - think them through, and try it if it makes sense to you, definitely skip it if sounds too good to be true. :)
  • hrshipley
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! I am also new to the site! Your story is a very familiar one. Add me as a friend and we can encourage each other to turn over a new leaf and become the healthy and fit ladies we want to be! Congrats on taking the first step, it can be a difficult one to do!