Gonna start doing this hope it works

Options
Im 25 married with two kids and work a full time job im gonna start this because I hear good things so hopefully it works. Im way to scared to weigh myself because if its what i think it will be then i will start to obsess about it and get depressed about it. Im really trying to figure out a way to make time to work out and looking through my schedule the only really good time that works for everyone is to wake up at 5 in the morning to work out...ahhh... anyone got any good advice??? What fruits or vegetables have the lowest calories???

Replies

• ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    You know what to do. Just do it. Weigh yourself. Write it down and record it in MFP.

Eat fewer calories than you burn, and over time, you WILL lose weight. 1 pound = 3500 calories. 500 calories per day deficit X 7 days a week = 3500 calories = 1 pound lost in 1 week. Set a reasonable goal along these lines. Exercise helps so much to get there and to feel good! Set your MFP profile up to accomplish this

When you eat, watch PORTION CONTROL. 4 ounces of lean white chicken meat is 4 ounces, not 6 ounces. 1 cup of pasta should be measured to be 1 cup, not 1.5 cups or 2 cups. Eat lean protein. Eat lots of fruits and veggies (without butter or fatty sauces but just small and measured amounts of olive oil or Smart butter. Eat 100% whole wheat or whole grain products. Reduce the alcohol consumption. Eat 3 healthy meals a day and 2 healthy snacks a day. Have a treat now and then but do not go nuts. When you overeat, start over the next day. We all have bad days but don't turn them into bad weeks. You know what to do.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to get up at 5am to get in a workout... try doing knee bends while folding laundry, do some lunges or squats while brushing your teeth (I do those, haha)... Go for a walk after supper/lunch... When I find a flight of stairs, I always run up it, never walk.... If you don't have much free time, or you don't want to be an incredibly 'early riser'; it's all about those little stolen moments. You could do situps, push ups, etc while watching tv; or jog/do jumping jacks during commercials... Take the kids outside and RUN around with them... Just be creative with it. It will keep it more fun and motivating for you. It can get stale doing the same thing over and over....
    As for food, try replacing ground beef with ground turkey. Eat lots of veggies. Carrots and cucumber slices are a snack I love... or almonds and dried cranberries... and those you can keep in your purse to keep you from getting munch y while you are out and winding up at mcdonalds, haha. :) We're all here to help when you have trouble, just ASK!
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah the previous respondent is right. You have to record everything. It may be depressing to discover your current weight, but denial isn't going to help. With more concrete objectives based on your current weight and your goal, you can tailor your plan better.

Vegetables: Broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower.

Fruits: Usually range around 100 calories such as apples, peaches, etc.

Look for fruits and vegetables with high fiber and low on the gIycemic Index. I think those fruits and vegetables tend to be more filling for a longer period of time. I am NOT a nutritionist or dietitian, but that's what I have read. Please double check.

Best wishes! You can do it!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    OOOH! And there are a zillion short workouts on Youtube... Little four minute ones and such... Have a look, and bookmark the ones you like. Then, when you find yourself with 5-10mins, waiting for the kettle to boil, someone to finish in the shower, for the laundry to finish, etc.. you can easily squeeze one of those little ones in. :)
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes, definately weigh yourself. That will help set up the calories you need. Definately record everything you eat and be honest about it. I set my food diary to public so that I can't hide it if I make poor choices. I guess it feels as if there is a bit more accountability. Watch your portion control, get a lot of fiber and protien. Google the types of foods that are high in protien and fibers. Also google the fruits which are the lowest is sugars. Set small goals, like what you will do for yourself after you lose 10, 20, 30 pounds etc. Get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day. Drink a glass of cold water before each meal to help yourself feel fuller. Watch and pay close attention to your hunger. Are you really hungry or are you just bored? These are a few things I have been doing and so far they are working. I have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks!
    Im 25 married with two kids and work a full time job im gonna start this because I hear good things so hopefully it works. Im way to scared to weigh myself because if its what i think it will be then i will start to obsess about it and get depressed about it. Im really trying to figure out a way to make time to work out and looking through my schedule the only really good time that works for everyone is to wake up at 5 in the morning to work out...ahhh... anyone got any good advice??? What fruits or vegetables have the lowest calories???
  • jkincaid0202
    Options
    I just started yesterday and have realized that weighing myself was a real eye opener... it's like taking ownership of your body.

Some of the snacks I am loving right now are:

low fat cottage cheese with fruit
    ANYHTING from the Skinny Cow (the new candy they make is AWESOME)
    Laughing Cow cheeses
    Trop 50 Orange Juice
    grape tomatoes (they are so sweet, I don't need any ranch or anything to dip them in)
  • nataliebejarano
    nataliebejarano Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the awesome advice i will definantly be trying them. This is all very helpful the encouragement was really needed and i am very greatful for it. :happy: