Protein!!!!

Options
I was told the body can only digest 30 grams of protein at 1 time. Does anyone know if is there any truth to this? :huh:

Replies

• JennysMan
    Options
    I have heard 20g per meal. I'd love to see a well documented respsonse!
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    that's what doctors claim. However, proof is pretty spotty and it is different from person to person. I have taken up to 60g of protein at one sitting. Didn't notice anything unusual...upset tummy etc. I read some medical stuff that said in addition to your stomach processing protein so does your upper intestine. What's missed by the tummy gets taken up elsewhere. So, who knows.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since that is less than the recommended daily amount I'm going to guess no, not true.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/how-much-protein
  • cameralinds
    Options

That was a very nice article and explained it perfectly, I think. The last sentence and smiley at the end of the conclusion made me laough! :)
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your protein needs and such greatly depend on what you're doing as your requirements may be vastly different. If you surf the net all the time vs. training for a marathon your requirements and processing of proteins is totally different. MD's across America, and worldwide for that matter have differing view points. This article by an MD http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md6.htm says that for my 230lb frame I'd need over 400gr of protein a day. Another article posted earlier says that I'd only require just over 50gr a day. Granted the article I refer to is from a bodybuilding website. However, the amounts are for athletes in general not just for muscle heads. Here is another good article all about proteins-how much & how often & what kinds http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan28.htm. This article cites North American institutes like the American Dietetics Association, American College of Sports Medicine and Dieticians of Canada as references. There is much difference in medical opinions as to how much protein a body needs. One thing is certain, all trainers and sports nutritionists say that the body's protein requirements are much higher then conservative American MD's say...especially if partaking in any type of physical fitness. Now, this is off track of how much the body can consume at any one time. But, this too is an item of contention as there are just as many medical opinions with this topic as there are with how much total protein to consume. In sports nutrition the idea is to figure out your total daily protein requirements then divide that number by the number of meals consumed thru-out the day (preferably 6-8). With that idea my 230lb frame would require about 50gr of protein per meal. There are side effects of taking to much protein that I could watch for to see if that amount of protein has any adverse effect. But in the absence of the bad I'd say my body handles that 50gr quite well. Impossible to really know without medical testing. For every article saying "X" is the answer I can give you 5 that say "Y" is the answer. There is no concrete evidence that every medical person agrees with. The best answer is to use the net. Do your homework. Then do what works for you.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I usually have at least 26g of protein per 5-6 meals daily. I feel fine. Only nauseated on some days if I eat way too fast (habit for me haha).
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It honestly saddens me that this myth is still alive.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If this claim has any bit of credibility... I'm in for a world of pain!
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 + meals a day and I try to eat ~50g PER meal of protein. I have lost 192lbs .. so I am going to say ........ false.

There is no absolute number .. it varies by person, activity level and other factors.
  • proats
    proats Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If this claim has any bit of credibility... I'm in for a world of pain!

lol, word! I eat 2 meals a day and each consists of ~130g of protein. I must be doinitwrong.jpg

lulz
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    Its not a myth, anyone that thinks eating 100g of protein in a meal will make them big needs to lay off the bro science. its based on a study that showed you won't process more than 30 grams of protein. http://www.nutritionaloutlook.com/article/whey-protein-making-it-count
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm saving these responder's pictures for later!!

Er... I mean I am really interested in the responses...
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    From an article I read in men's health mag --- its around 25-30 grams of protein at a time. Any thing over that and its not helping or hurting you.

its important to note that one chicken breast has 35 grams of protein.

I try to get at ;east 20 grams of protein with every meal. I eat 6 meals a day.
    I dont see how protein can hurt you, except financially if your overdoing it with the protein powders.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It honestly saddens me that this myth is still alive.

Umm.... I'll have what you're having!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I find myself earting more and more protien
    it keeps me full and my energy levels high.
    I was told months ago protien would blow me up
    because i wasnt active enough!! down 60 lbs
    loving life WHATEVER :drinker:
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Total myth that just won't die....

Let's not forget just how long it takes to digest protein.

A big steak with loads of protein takes over 10 hours to fully digest. Think about that for a sec. So in those 10+ hours, our body only utilized 30 of those grams? I don't think so.

Per Martin Berkhan, the 30 grams of protein myth was probably perpetuated by the idea that 30 grams of whey protein was absorbed within 3-4 hours...so people then concluded that meant 30 grams of protein can only be used in one sitting. Or that you had to eat every 3-4 hours to stay "anabolic." Unfortunately, people missed a few facts that made these findings irrelevant to real-world scenarios. First of all, this study looked at the absorption rate of whey protein in the fasted state. On it's own, and with no meals eaten beforehand, 30 grams of whey protein is absorbed within a mere 3-4 hours. With meals eaten earlier in the day, or if you'd consume a whey shake after a meal, absorption would be much slower.

Second of all, whey protein is the fastest protein of all and digests at 10 g/hour. Casein is much slower; in Boirie's study, the casein protein was still being absorbed when they stopped the experiment 7 hours later. Most whole food proteins are absorbed at a rate of 3-6 grams an hour. Add other macronutrients to that and they'll take longer.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Total myth that just won't die....

Let's not forget just how long it takes to digest protein.

A big steak with loads of protein takes over 10 hours to fully digest. Think about that for a sec. So in those 10+ hours, our body only utilized 30 of those grams? I don't think so.

Per Martin Berkhan, the 30 grams of protein myth was probably perpetuated by the idea that 30 grams of whey protein was absorbed within 3-4 hours...so people then concluded that meant 30 grams of protein can only be used in one sitting. Or that you had to eat every 3-4 hours to stay "anabolic." Unfortunately, people missed a few facts that made these findings irrelevant to real-world scenarios. First of all, this study looked at the absorption rate of whey protein in the fasted state. On it's own, and with no meals eaten beforehand, 30 grams of whey protein is absorbed within a mere 3-4 hours. With meals eaten earlier in the day, or if you'd consume a whey shake after a meal, absorption would be much slower.

Second of all, whey protein is the fastest protein of all and digests at 10 g/hour. Casein is much slower; in Boirie's study, the casein protein was still being absorbed when they stopped the experiment 7 hours later. Most whole food proteins are absorbed at a rate of 3-6 grams an hour. Add other macronutrients to that and they'll take longer.

This post needs to be quoted for two reasons.

1) It's great information and it's very true

2) Best user name ever