Why do you want to lose weight, get in shape, etc

Options
This is probably beyond stupid, but I wanted to know why are you doing this? I've been doing this since Jan 3, have had amazing success and suddenly wondered why am I was doing this? I honestly don't have a goal in mind, other than a weight goal.
I'm certainly not going to quit, it's part of my daily routine now, but .....

Just pondering ya know.....

Replies

• Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm doing it because I hate my body and I want to be slimmer and more toned. I dislike my boyfriend seeing my body so I guess you could say it's partially because of my relationship.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better, physically and mentally? Because if you do, I would say there is your goal!
    I didnt have a goal in mind so much either....no vacation, no pants I was trying to fit in. I just didnt want to be out of shape anymore.... I achieved that....and I feel GREAT!
  • JessicaRaeD
    Options
    I'm doing it b/c I'm entering my first ever figure competition. As well as I want to inspire other women and teach my boys what a healthy lifestyle truly is!!
  • ashleyspenxe
    Options
    I am working out to be healthy! I'm a newlywed, planning to start a family soon. I want to a adopt a lifestlye that will allow me see my great great grandchildren grow up.
  • Tracey_Smith
    Options
    I'm doing it because I need to understand what I can and can't eat and it's not as simple as it sounds. It's not just the fats that are bad lol x
    Plus I want to stay slim, fit, healthy and free from medication where possible. x
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    straight up tired of my thighs rubbing together! :laugh:
  • luminescence
    luminescence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You should never let go of doing exercise and going back to the way you were eating before. That only means you go back to the same body you had before. It should never be called a diet, it should be called a lifestyle change.

That being said, I'm doing it to be healthy and so I feel good about myself and I know those two have to go together.
  • jadeblue14
    jadeblue14 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's a big long list of why. I want to feel good about myself-always. That means feeling comfortable in my own skin. I want to be healthy and feel healthy. I don't feel that way with an extra 30lbs on my stomach. I want to be able to do things, like play baseball or go on a bike ride with my boyfriend with out having to stop. They're my big reasons.
    I also have reasons/motivations/purely superficial things that keep me going. I want a new piercing when I hit a certain weight (not sure what yet) and I would love to get my tattoo touched up. And here is my nerdiness coming out: I set a definite (far out) goal date for myself for the opening day of the Avengers movie. I'm super excited for it, and trying to chanel that energy into sticking with getting healthy. When I make it goal, I'm going to wear a costume to the midnight showing, just to show off all my hard work. Even though I'm 24, I am, in fact, a 5-year-old.
  • Hollirot
    Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I want to like what I see in the mirror, but more importantly... I want to be able to chase my son around, I want to actively play with him. And I want to be a good example to him. :heart:
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this to be healthier and for my daughter so she has a mum for a long while. Come to think of it i'm loving the challenge and i love being on mfp the people here are awesome, they keep me motivated.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I SHOULD HAVE DONE IT YEARS AGO, SO FOR ALL YOU YOUNG GIRLS, TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY, BECAUSE,IF YOU DON'T IT WILL LET YOU DOWN WHEN YOU GET OLDER,I HAVE FAR TOO MANY HEALTH ISSUES THAT I PROBABLY COULD HAVE AVOIDED. I DO IT NOW, HOPING I WILL FEEL BETTER,IT'S NOT VANITY,I'M ALREADY PRETTY!!!!HAHAA,JUST KIDDING, RED:smile:
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I no longer want to be the fat aunt with my two nephews and not be able to do stuff with them. I want to wear cuter clothes...and I want to feel better in my own skin.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    To look better and be healthier. A few month ago, guys wouldn't talk to me. I was sure if they were looking, it was in disgust. It's only taken me 30lbs to gain my confidence back and it's seems like I am much more approachable now! Still a LONG ways to go from my POV but I'm already wearing sizes I haven't seen since high school and that is pretty awesome.
  • klamont9
    klamont9 Posts: 59
    Options
    My goal is to get as cut as Brad Pitt was in Fight Club...

I will finish Insanity in 2 weeks & am amazed at the results. I will then start up P90x or do a hybrid of the two. Haven't decided.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    s
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I started because I didn't want to buy new jeans in a bigger size AGAIN.

I continued pushing through after the first month because I noticed I had more energy and didn't crave sugar so much when I ate better.

I started working out initially so I could eat more.

I kept working out because it makes me feel good.

I started working out harder because I like the way I feel when I'm strong.

I will continue doing this for the rest of my life because for the first time since I was a toddler, my depression isn't getting the better of me. I feel really good for the first time in my life, and I'm not willing to let that go. And because for the first time, I realize that not only CAN I have the body I've always wanted, but I DESERVE it.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it so I can live forever for my boys ;-) It was also time for me to get my body back after having children, I was making way too many excuses and didn't realize how I big I was getting. I also want that "trophy wife" status back ...haha! I'm feeling great with the new me and won't stop. A really big goal for me is to be smaller than my sister, she's always been the smaller one.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Health. The side effect of looking good in my clothes (and out of them) is admittedly a great perk, but just wanting to stay healthy as I age is the real goal.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I want to improve my power to weight ratio but keep my car stock. At least that's why I started.

Now I'm afraid there might be some pants floating around that I missed.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    Well for me there's not one reason, theres many. But there are two main reasons. Firstly, I really don't like the way I look, I don't like what I see when I look in the mirror. But more than that I want to get healthy as well as fit! I want to enjoy my life more than I amat the moment and not miss out on things because I am overweight. Also I am starting med school and in the long run I really dont want to be a hypercritical doctor, being overweight and unfit and telling others they need to lose weight!