Warrior Dash

Options
Anyone?

I have made this my fitness goal. I would like some guidelines on what base criteria is necessary to complete this race?

I know a 5K is a minimum, but a 5K on pavement is very different from up and down hills, through water, mud, obstacles, etc.

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    A bunch of my friends did this and they said you can never be prepared for it. No matter how much you train. Its only 5k but the obstacles tire you out so much lol but they said it was the most fun theyve ever had
  • IrishBarbie
    IrishBarbie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am signed up to be in my first Warrior Dash Sept 10th! I'm nervous and excited! I am not the best runner, but I have finished 3 5ks in the last year. I do a boot camp class at my gym, which I think will really help with dealing with the obstacles. There are actually about 15 of us signed up from my gym and we are going to start a warrior dash specific training class this saturday. This seems to be more about fun than about time, like something like the Tough Mudder is pretty dang intense. I'm just planning on going and doing my best! Good luck! :)
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also am running my first warrior dash soon (in Sept) and have been looking for advice. There is a lot of info out there already: people's descriptions of the race, training reccomendations. I used the search feature and have found a lot of good advice that others have shared in previous posts .
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    It looks to be killer but a blast! Along with running I'd do some serious cross training and playing on the playground :) Looks like it uses every muscle in your body. I can't wait to try it next spring I think is when it's coming here.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    August 27th!!!!!!!!!!!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you can run a 5k and can climb a ladder, you'll have no problem. The obstacles aren't that difficult physically. If you can keep a decent jogging pace through the whole thing you'll be good. A lot of people walk a good deal of it. There are all fitness levels there. You'll have a blast! You might want to see what yor shoes are like to run in wet. I actually stepped in a bucket of water and ran a couple miles to see how it would be so I'd have an idea on race day. Also, the AZ Warrior Dash only had one water station at about the midpoint and I was pretty thisty by then. If it's going to be hot, you might consider running with a Camelbak or something which means you might want to start including one on your training runs to get used to the extra weight bouncing around on you.
  • lbakewell01
    Options
    I ran the Warrior Dash a couple of months ago with members of my Run Club. It's a blast! I wouldn't worry too much about doing the dash for time. It should be more of a fun thing to do. My teammates and I actually stayed together to complete the course, and, personally, I think it was way more fun this way. If you want to compete for time, you need to have an early wave on the first day. After that, the course gets a little messed up from everyone going through it. Using it for fun is my suggestion...
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. A lot of these things are really for fun. You'll see people doing it in costumes most likely, some just walking it. At least this is what I hear from others that've done em; I haven't. I'm signed up for a tough mudder in October; 10 miles with obstacles. This definitely looks more intense, we'll see, maybe I'm in for a rude awakening.
  • velezdina
    velezdina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash two weeks ago, so much fun!! I agree with previous comments, you should do it for fun and not for time. Believe me, there are part of the course that are so muddy you can not even walk without loosing your balance, plus you are running with soaking wet tennis shoes pretty much from the begining (had to cross a little creek). Also, when you get to the obstacles you will be waiting in line. There were too many people doing the obstacles in fronto of me, so I had to wait for my turn.
    I saw lots of people just walking the whole course so if you are not a runner, not a problem. I am a runner and tried to jog for the most part except the muddy parts (didn't want to break a leg). For training I ran (including hills) and joined a bootcamp class. That was more than enought for the whole thing. The obstacles were pretty easy.
    Most of my non-runner friends that participated with me where sore the next day due to the hilly course. I was not sore at all, but I am used to run hills anyways.
    Just have fun, it is fantastic! the best advice I can give you is HYDRATE before and after the race. It was 110 degrees when I ran it and did great because i drank plety of liquid days before and after the race, but saw lots of people passing out at the race due to the heat.
    Have fun and good luck!