Does your body crash after running

Options
I am currently doing the "run your butt off" program, am slowly building up to my first 5k in October,
I am stage3 where I walk for 4min, then run for 2min.
I repeat this 5times with a 3 minute cooldown.
Total work out time is about 33minutes avg 3.7miles per hour.

My concern is, about 1hour after the exercise, my body just crashes and I find myself dozing off.
I usually have slimfast (190cal) plus fruits for a total of about 400 calories after my workout.

Here's my program:
Wake up 6am, have a banana with coffee or tea
7am drink a glass of water
8am my running workout (more of walking currently)
830 drink a glass of water , do some squats and stretching
9am postworkout drink then take shower then eat the fruits
By about 10am, I am dozing off.

I do abs and arm workouts on alternate days but do not crash on these days.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Hard to tell without an open food diary. Usually I'm more awake after a morning workout (adrenaline) and it gets me through the day. Try caffeine or move your food calories around to make sure you have enough energy for your workout.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a sugar crash, not from running. Try eating protein afterwards.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein after you run? I usually do a protein shake afterward. I'm definitely not crashing and feeling sleepy after running. I find it rejuvenates me and keeps me going if anything.

I'd also like to see what your diary looks like to see how many total calories you're eating, your body needs fuel so it's important to be netting enough calories.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need more food than just fruit after running -- I always eat protein, fruit, and a little carbs. You need a solid breakfast after a morning run.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the "run your butt off" program, am slowly building up to my first 5k in October,
    I am stage3 where I walk for 4min, then run for 2min.
    I repeat this 5times with a 3 minute cooldown.
    Total work out time is about 33minutes avg 3.7miles per hour.

My concern is, about 1hour after the exercise, my body just crashes and I find myself dozing off.
    I usually have slimfast (190cal) plus fruits for a total of about 400 calories after my workout.

Here's my program:
    Wake up 6am, have a banana with coffee or tea
    7am drink a glass of water
    8am my running workout (more of walking currently)
    830 drink a glass of water , do some squats and stretching
    9am postworkout drink then take shower then eat the fruits
    By about 10am, I am dozing off.

I do abs and arm workouts on alternate days but do not crash on these days.
    Any suggestions?

Are you eating back the calories burned from exercise? If not you may want to start.
    How is your sleep pattern?
  • cvsalazar5
    cvsalazar5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It looks to me, after viewing your routine, that you need protein. Sugar, which is in fruit, will cause your body to spike and then crash. Protein will keep you full longer and you won't have that crash when the sugar has run out. I would suggest having a hard boiled egg in the morning with your banana or whatever carb. you choose. I always make sure to have a little lean protein with whatever carb. I have throughout the day. I stay very satisfied and am losing weight every week.

Hope that helps :)
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    you need to have some protein, after a workout i always have a protein shake, your muscles need to rebuild themselves
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I need a solid breakfast *before* my morning run. I'm useless until I've had breakfast and a diet soda.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You definitely need protein. I usually don't eat before I run, but I make sure I have a well rounded meal post run that includes protein and carbs.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You might try eating whole foods instead of the slim fast shake. Your body needs nourishment. The shake is a poor substitution for healthy whole foods with fiber, vitamins and minerals.

I agree with adding the protein, but you might try something like unsweetened oatmeal with your fruit. Add a hardboiled egg or some raw almond butter for protein (3/4 c. oatmeal is 110 calories and a hardboiled egg is 78 calories and 1 T. Raw almond butter is 98 calories). I like to put almond butter and maple extract in the saucepan when making the oatmeal. Then I add a banana and sprinkle with cinnamon, it's very good. This will give you the fiber, carbs, and protein your body needs, plus you will be full.

Your body needs high-quality fuel. A great book on the subject is Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I drink coffee with creamer...then have some fruit before my workout/run...afterwards I eat protein...other than feeling tired later on in the day (because of all the exercise I'm doing)...I'm good
  • velezdina
    velezdina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you need to add lean protein to your after run meal (no more than 30 minutes later). Try it for a couple of days and see how you feel.
    I am a runner and try to have a meal no more than 30 minutes after my run that includes lean protein and complex carbs. Also, I could do coffee and banana 1.5 hrs. before my run. I would get lots of energy for a short period of time and then my body would crash (I have a high metabolism). But that's me... think about how YOU feel during your run and modify your pre-run meal if needed as well. Maybe you need to add some protein before as well.
  • wellness2010
    Options
    Sleep pattern is erratic but mostly go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 6am.
    I started eating back my exercise calories and I feel much better now!

I also eat one boiled egg in addition to the banana in the morning.
    And eat black beans or green peas as part of my post-run meal.

Thank you all for your insight!