do we eat back the claories that we burn

Options
I am so confused by counting calories. Do we eat back the calories that we burn through excersice? or if im on 1,200 cals do I just eat my 1,200 cals?

Replies

• RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I eat some of mine back some days when I am hungry..other days I don't. It is different on different days. You will hear all kinds of chatter about this. Hopefully you will make more sense of it than I have.
  • kbhunting
    Options
    You can eat 1200 calories a day, when you submit your exercise into the programe you can eat more but if your wanting to lose weight stick with 1200 a day unless you undertake extreme exercise and need the energy :)
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Its safe to eat them. But if you decide not to have them all....at least stay on the safe side and make sure
    that in your daily summary you net 1,200 calories. Remember that you need to feed your muscles too!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Depends who you talk to, haha.

I do not. Unless I'm burning a ton of calories (which would make me hungrier anyway), I don't eat them back. I feel like it's defeating the purpose.

My opinion :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so you lose your goal amount of weight by eating them.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I say eat them! 1200 calories is the bare minimum you need without exercise. When you work out, your body needs more fuel. It won't hinder your weight loss.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    here we go again ..............................................

most talked bout subject on MFP
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories. I try to eat back at least half of my exercise calories. :wink:
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at least half - I figure if I overestimated how many I burned and I eat half, I won't have eaten too much. You are supposed to eat them though. I found that if I don't eat at least some of them, I don't lose weight as fast. At 1200 you are already at a deficit. Look at your net calories for the day....
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    For me, If I burn a lot then maybe I'll eat some of my calories, but it's rare that I eat all. If I don't burn as much, then I don't eat any.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I say eat them! 1200 calories is the bare minimum you need without exercise. When you work out, your body needs more fuel. It won't hinder your weight loss.

I agree -- and I found that when I didn't eat them back for more than a day or 2, I stalled my weight loss. Your body needs FUEL, FUEL, FUEL when it's exercising. If it's afraid it won't have enough to work out tomorrow, it'll hold on to everything it gets and store it away for later.
  • jasonreeson
    Options
    I eat some of them back, but because the Calories in and Calories out are not exact I try to keep a buffer. I try keep my numbers in the "green" at around 3-400 after exercise. But that's just me, you have to find what works for you and how much energy you have. If you are crashing you in mid-afternoon you probably need to use up some of them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The MFP plan is that you eat them back to lose at the rate you entered (such as 1 lb per wk).
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether you're trying to lose weight, or just maintaining your weight. I agree with the other post, in that if you're genuinely hungry, you should eat, but if it's just 'conditioned' hunger (i.e. "it's dinner time, so I must be hungry") then don't.
  • jsstein19
    jsstein19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't try to avoid eating them. To me, it appears that the suggested amount is of calories is already based on my wanting to lose X amount of pounds per week with my normal lifestyle based on eating alone. If you adjust your lifestyle from sedentary to lightly active to highly active, it does adjust your caloric intake. Adding the exercise is a bonus that you are active.

I've also watched enough episodes of Biggest Loser to know if you don't eat enough calories, you can get in just as much of a rut with your weight loss.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them back because I find I need the energy to do the exercise. It doesn't defeat the object of exercising because you are still getting fitter and healthier by being more active.

You are also gaining lean tissue by working your muscles, or at least not losing it. You don't want to lose lean tissue (which tends to happen with fast weight loss) because it is metabolically active and fat isn't. I.e. when you are doing absolutely nothing at all, the lean tissue is still burning some calories just to exist. The more lean muscle tissue you have, the more calories you burn at rest and the more fat you burn throughout the day. Also you'll look leaner too.

It's up to you if you eat all of them or not, but if you feel you need to eat some of them that means your body probably needs them. Generally it is recommended that you eat most of them. It's your choice but I would eat at least some of them. By eating all of them you should still reach your MFP goal on time.
  • asiavenetia
    asiavenetia Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also wonder about this~
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am so confused by counting calories. Do we eat back the calories that we burn through excersice? or if im on 1,200 cals do I just eat my 1,200 cals?

I would first say, make sure that 1200 is a good number for calories, for you. This number is general and an average on MFP for those that want maximum weight loss I believe. Based on this number then that is right for you (lets use 2000 calories a day), if you then consume 1200 calories a day but you were eating 2000 calories a day, then yes you are going to lose weight. MFP asks that you eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day because of starvation mode, that really red line item when you click the button that signals that you are done eating and exercising for the day. If you don't eat back your exercise calories, what happens? You have to research that (I think that's your real question) and figure that out from your own experience.

There were weeks where I walked off almost all the total daily calories but I am overweight, so why not make my body use up my fat stores? This has been my experience and I do not say it is right for everyone. If I am maintaining my weight, then I would probably balance my food with exercise.

So, this depends on various factors, all of which depends on you to figure out your own body and body requirements.

Exercise for me is to accelerate weight loss and to gain cardio strength and mental balance, it has its role.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I always eat my exercise calories. I have chosen a net calories per day that I want to maintain, then the calories I get back from exercise serves as my incentive to exercise. Exercise, and I get those extra snacks and a cocktail.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em back. I am not gonna pass up free calories! :smile: