HRM exercise calories?

Options
Ghlt4
Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
I did 45 mins zumba today. The zumba site said I burned 515 on LOW intensity. My HRM only said 240. Why is there such a difference? I am new to using my HRM. If I have set it up wrong what do I need to look at? I checked all my settings and don't see anything wrong.....I think..?

For those of you burning 500+ per hour, what is your heart rate at? I know it is different for everyone, but that may be the key.

Replies

• Treebeard2012
    Options
    Is your heart rate monitor set for your particular weight? How much you weigh makes a tremendous difference in the amount of calories consumed during any weight bearing exercise. I'm not an expert on HRM's, but I just thought maybe that might impact the values your are seeing.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    I did 45 mins zumba today. The zumba site said I burned 515 on LOW intensity. My HRM only said 240. Why is there such a difference? I am new to using my HRM. If I have set it up wrong what do I need to look at? I checked all my settings and don't see anything wrong.....I think..?

For those of you burning 500+ per hour, what is your heart rate at? I know it is different for everyone, but that may be the key.

I should add even the general dancing tab on mfp comes out more than 240!
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    Is your heart rate monitor set for your particular weight? How much you weigh makes a tremendous difference in the amount of calories consumed during any weight bearing exercise. I'm not an expert on HRM's, but I just thought maybe that might impact the values your are seeing.

Yes, height, weight age etc all programmed in.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know my HRM gives me a much lower amount of calories burned than MFP does. When I would do Tae Bo, MFP said I would burn over 500 and I only burned around 300 each time....and I know I was working hard because I was sweating like a pig. lol
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    I know my HRM gives me a much lower amount of calories burned than MFP does. When I would do Tae Bo, MFP said I would burn over 500 and I only burned around 300 each time....and I know I was working hard because I was sweating like a pig. lol

It is good to hear I am not the only one. I have read so many posts of 100's of calories burned doing zumba, so I was surprised when mine came out so low.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing, I think. Makes you work that much harder to get a "good burn" out of it!! :happy:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    What was your average heart rate during the zumba workout?

Yes, lots of exercises are significantly less calorie burn than what people are recording or going by on MFP or fitness machines. About the only thing that I have found to be more (my HRM being more than MFP) is running. Running I can burn way more calories than what MFP gives me for running 30 minutes.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    What was your average HR, and what was the max?

MFP gives me ridiculous amounts of exercise calories compared to what my HRM gives. I keep my workouts fairly intense and can never burn more than 550 in an hour.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    My average heart rate was 126.

I am new to using the HRM, so dont full understand all the heart rate stuff.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

That is a fairly low average heart rate so the monitor might be right.
    Plug your data into here and see how it compares. My HRM is usually very close to the results of this calculator:
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • kstob1990
    kstob1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    this website kinda gives you an idea of how to find your target heart rate zones

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Your-Target-Heart-Rate

in womenshealth, they say to calculate your max heart rate you subtract your age from 220, then you want to be between 65% and 85% of the max for cardio
  • Ghlt4
    Options

Plug your data into here and see how it compares. My HRM is usually very close to the results of this calculator:

This is what I was thinking. I only started exercising 3 weeks ago, so I had no idea what a good heart rate was. I guess as my fitness increases and I can push harder my heart rate will increase too.
    Thanks for your input.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

This is what I was thinking. I only started exercising 3 weeks ago, so I had no idea what a good heart rate was. I guess as my fitness increases and I can push harder my heart rate will increase too.
    Thanks for your input.

Have you used your HRM on a piece of cardio equipment? That might be a good way of seeing where your heart rate ends up at varying intensities.

And I do think 126 is a good heart rate! You'll get a higher calorie burn though if you can work it up a little higher :)

Good luck, you're doing awesome so far :)
  • Ghlt4
    Options

Thank you so much for the information. I plugged it in and it came out within one calorie of my HRM!! I am okay with this now I know my HRM is accurate. I just need to work harder!!!:)))))
  • Ghlt4
    Options

Thanks for your input.

Have you used your HRM on a piece of cardio equipment? That might be a good way of seeing where your heart rate ends up at varying intensities.

And I do think 126 is a good heart rate! You'll get a higher calorie burn though if you can work it up a little higher :)

Thank you for the encouragement!

Good luck, you're doing awesome so far :)
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For 126HR I think what you burned off sounds about right.
    I am newer to having a HRM but mine is set perfectly and is telling me accurate things. Today I did a 15min intense workout and my avg. rate was 187 and I burned 297cals with that

great motavation for pushing yourself harder to get great burns
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information. I plugged it in and it came out within one calorie of my HRM!! I am okay with this now I know my HRM is accurate. I just need to work harder!!!:)))))

Oh good, I'm glad that confirmed it.

To answer your question in the OP, though of course our stats differ, if I average a HR of 152-154 I burn about 500 per hour, maybe a bit more.
  • Ghlt4
    Options
    That's great, I will get to that one day!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i think your hrm is right and 126 is a bit low. you need to push harder. i range between 140-170 during my zumba workout and burn over 550 calories. mfp gave me a low burn- i used to log it as aerobics high impact and it was about 200 cals under.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Not meaning to boast but, I done an hours zumba tonight wearing my polar ft7. Average heartrate was 143 and max heartrate was 167. Burned 620 cals. Normally can get up to about 700 but it was so hot in the hall tonight. Hope this helps.