What's Your Weekly Exercise Plan?

Options
I just wondered what everyone does on a weekly basis in terms of exercise? Although I'm a bit all over the place at the moment because I'm on school holidays (and so I've been attending a variety of classes that I wouldn't be able to attend otherwise), as of next week when I go back to work this is what I'll be doing:

Monday - Zumba (1 hr)

Tuesday - Yoga (1.5 hr)

Wednesday - REST

Thursday - Body Combat (1 hr)

Friday - Body Attack

Saturday - REST (maybe occasional swim or class)

Sunday - Body Pump [all round exercise class using weights] (1 hr)

I'm worried that I might be overdoing it a bit even though I really enjoy it. I've heard you should have rest days in between but not sure how accurate this is. Just wondered if those who are more experienced might have some ideas.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Monday: full body strength training (55-60 minutes)
    Tues: cardio (45-50 minutes)
    Wed: full body strength (55-60 minutes)
    Thurs: cardio (45-50 minutes)
    Fri: full body strength (55-60 minutes)
    Sat: cardio (45-50 minutes) or something outdoors - biking, swimming, whatever
    Sun: rest day

Class schedules don't really work out for my gym time, but I'd love to add Zumba or something else into a cardio day.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I workout 6-7 days a week and do Insanity, 30DS and treadmill. I have to do workouts that can be done at my house as I have no time to go to class/gym.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    you dont necessarily need full rest days but you do need to vary your workouts from day to day to work different muscle groups and every day cant be an exhaustive workout, at least for most people. but everyone is different, look at ultra-marathon runners doing more than 100 miles at a time.

here is my routine since you asked

m- yoga (1 hr) & intervals (running 1 hr)

t yoga (1 hr) & rowing (10 min)

w bike (90-100 minutes)

r pilates (1 hr) & tempo run (40-60 min)

f pilates (1 hr) & row (10 min)

sat long run (2 hour)

sun sometimes surfing sometimes bike ride with the family sometimes nothing
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I get up, go to gym, and keep moving until I get the calorie burn I desire for the day. I have no set days to do anything and I like it that way and it has worked for me. I do not recommend it for anyone else as I have been known to be a little unorthodox.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    Monday - Chest/Biceps/Abs/Sprinting
    Tuesday - Back/Abs/Sprinting
    Wednesday - Legs/Abs/Bike
    Thursday - OFF
    Friday - Shoulders/Triceps/Abs/Elliptical
    Saturday - Abs/Sprinting
    Sunday - OFF

P.S. I'm pretty sure my trainer is trying to kill me!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My "plan" is to go with the flow. Typically I walk/jog 5-8 miles every morning and do 15-45 minutes on the elliptical. If I'm tired I rest, but that rarely happens. I'm not a "plan" type of person at all. =)
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options

Haha!

Thanks guys. It's great to see what everyone else does. I might add some free weights on a Monday after Zumba.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 times a week at the gym. Generally, I have Tuesday and Thursday's off. I always do cardio: walking, jogging, running and elliptical trainer.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Haha!

Thanks guys. It's great to see what everyone else does. I might add some free weights on a Monday after Zumba.

Your best bet, when doing cardio and weights on the same day, is to do the weights first. http://www.shapeyou.com/old/weights_first.html
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Day 1:

Cardio - 45 minutes (during lunch break)

Evening workout
    Warmup: Pushups: 2 sets of 15 reps
    Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Bent-Over Dumbbell Tricep Extension: 3 sets of 10-12 rep
    Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Alternate Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Hyperextensions: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Air Bike: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Cardio - 30 minutes

Day 2:

Cardio - 30 - 45 minutes (evening)

Day 3: Rest

Day 4:

Evening Work Out
    Warmup: Freehand Jump Squat: 2 sets of 15 reps
    Plie Dumbbell Squat: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Clean: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Barbell Side Split Squat: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Leg Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Seated Leg Curl: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Seated Calf Raise: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Cardioi - 30 minutes

Day 5:

Cardio - 45 minutes at lunch
    Cardio 30 - 45 minutes

Day 6:

Cardio 45 minutes at lunch

Evening Work Out
    Warmup: Butt-Lift (Bridge): 2 sets of 15 reps
    Push Press: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Deadlift: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Barbell Bent-Over Rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Stiff Legged Barbell Good Mornings: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Dumbbell Rear Lunges: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
    Cardio - 30 minutes

Day 7: Rest

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training
  • soozy84
    Options
    Your best bet, when doing cardio and weights on the same day, is to do the weights first. http://www.shapeyou.com/old/weights_first.html

Ahh that's really helpful! Thanks so much.
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty laid back about my workout schedule. I'm a mommy and a pre-shcool teacher, so my free time can be pretty limited and not consistent from week to week.
    My general (tentative) workout plan is:
    Mon - bike ride 30-60 min
    Tue -Yoga 90 min
    Wed - walk/jog 30 min
    Thu - yoga 90 min
    Fri - none
    Sat - bike ride 30-60 min
    Sun - yoga 90 min
    I also make sure I get in a 30 min walk/jog every day in addition to my other workouts.
    Oh, and I never ever go to a gym. I prefer to use the wonderful trails and parks around my neighborhood.
    So far, this is working for me. Nothing I do takes more that an hour or two, and is really enjoyable.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Ahh that's really helpful! Thanks so much.

yeah i start with 10 minutes of cardio just to get my blood flowing and then I do weights...20 minutes of cardio at the end...I was doing 30 minutes straight of cardio but then I was to damn tired to lift anything lol. I'm proud of myself that I can go 30 minutes straight without dying (before I could barely do 10 minutes) but it's not beneficial on weight days.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That looks like a good schedule to me.
    And I think rest days are vital; I love my rest days :)

At the moment I'm doing:
    Mon - Rest day
    Tue - Strength training 60min (includes dynamic warmup and stretching)
    Wed - Hatha Yoga 90min
    Thu - Zumba 1hr class
    Fri - Strength training 60min
    Sat - Rest
    Sun - Strength training 60min

The rest days might include a gentle half an hour walk with my husband to have a pot of tea, but I generally like to veg and let my body recover, particularly after squats or deadlift days.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good thread!

Monday - Cardio: 20 minutes (usually walking/joggin) not going over 130 HR / Lifting: chest & triceps
    Tuesday - Cardio: 50 minute spin class / 20-30 minute core/abs HIIT
    Tuesday - Cardio: 10 minute warm up (usually elliptical) / Lifting: back & biceps & forearms
    Thursday - usually OFF, but may do very easy swimming
    Friday - Cardio: 20 minutes (usually walking/jogging) not going over 130 HR / Lifting: shoulders & legs
    Saturday - Long cardio day... usually a good hour in the pool and/or running / 20-30 minute core/abs HIIT
    Sunday - OFF
  • soozy84
    Options
    It's great seeing all these routines. I like the idea of focusing on one muscle group per day so maybe weights focusing on arms one day and legs the next. I probably would have tried to just do them all at once.
    Wed - Hatha Yoga 90min

I'm normally a pilates girl but my gym doesn't have pilates at a time to suit. I've never done hatha yoga before but I'm doing it for the first time later in the week. What should I expect from a 90 min class?
  • terrie98
    terrie98 Posts: 49
    Options
    Right now I can go to the gym whenever I please because I am off on summers. I start back teaching next week so I will go back to my morning routine.

I go very early in the mornings from about 4:45=5:30ish.

M--Cardio 45 min
    T--arms, back, chest, + cardio 20 min
    W--Cardio 45 min
    Th--abs and legs + cardio 20 min
    F--Cardio 45 min
    S-REST
    Sun-REST

** I like my weekends off :)
  • soozy84
    Options
    I'm pretty laid back about my workout schedule. I'm a mommy and a pre-shcool teacher, so my free time can be pretty limited and not consistent from week to week.
    My general (tentative) workout plan is:
    Mon - bike ride 30-60 min
    Tue -Yoga 90 min
    Wed - walk/jog 30 min
    Thu - yoga 90 min
    Fri - none
    Sat - bike ride 30-60 min
    Sun - yoga 90 min
    I also make sure I get in a 30 min walk/jog every day in addition to my other workouts.
    Oh, and I never ever go to a gym. I prefer to use the wonderful trails and parks around my neighborhood.
    So far, this is working for me. Nothing I do takes more that an hour or two, and is really enjoyable.

Sounds great. It's good that you enjoy it too. I should take more advantage of living a minute's walk from the beach (it's lovely and sandy although typically Scottish in that it's usually very windy and cold!!).
  • soozy84
    Options

I go very early in the mornings from about 4:45=5:30ish.

Wow! That's impressive. Especially before a full day of teaching. I prefer to go after school... I'm thinking a session of body combat/boxercise will be a great stress reliever after a day of teaching moody and awkward teens! :laugh: