Treadmills vs. Elliptical Trainers

Options
I will only have space for one of these in my new apartment. I love to walk and the treadmill forces me to keep pace because it moves on its own. The elliptical does burn more cals quicker though. The bottom line is that both machines offer great benefits to working out, if you actual use either machine it will do wonders for your health and overall fitness.

I am limited on space and budget wise (most likely buying a gently used one on cl.com).

Which one would you choose?

Thanks <33 Christina

Replies

• cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I will only have space for one of these in my new apartment. I love to walk and the treadmill forces me to keep pace because it moves on its own. The elliptical does burn more cals quicker though. The bottom line is that both machines offer great benefits to working out, if you actual use either machine it will do wonders for your health and overall fitness.

I am limited on space and budget wise (most likely buying a gently used one on cl.com).

Which one would you choose?

Thanks <33 Christina

i have a treadmill, but would much better have an elliptical. plus it's more compact since your in an apartment :))
  • carocarito
    Options
    I love my elliptical, burn more calories and its easy on my knees :)
  • georgiag111
    Options
    I just had that same issue and went Elliptical
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    have you used them before--sounds like it. Which do you prefer? The one you like the most is the one you will use more.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Elliptical for sure...burns a lot of calories and really is much gentler on your knees.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    have you used them before--sounds like it. Which do you prefer? The one you like the most is the one you will use more.

I agree with this statement, but you can always run outside!!
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    personally, i have bad joins and get bad shin splints so i love the elliptical. when they came out they were advertised on the sole fact that they took off the pressure of running, since your feet are pounding down less- i find this, years later- to be true
    i suggest going to the gym and trying them both out to see which you personally prefer.
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    Love our elliptical! We had both but found out we use the elliptical more and is much easier on our knees and I have a bad one.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have treadmill at home (very old, I have had for years), if I were to replace it I woud go eliptical, I like the arm work etc that you can do with it as well as when I crank up the resistance (at the gym) I can feel muscles working that don't work when walking.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options

I have used them both and noticed I do prefer the treadmill only b/c i can incline walk ( in south florida there are no hills lol) or jog or run. but the elliptical seems more compact and more effective - i dread them though!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ELLIPTICAL....100% better than a treadmill...More calories burned plus, no impact on the joints... :flowerforyou:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    :heart: my elliptical!!
  • MrsChristinaG
    Options
    Hey my name is also christina! I would get the eliptical. I would get it because its a lot easier on the knees and I don't feel like I could get "thrown" off lol. Also, because I've always been heavy, my knees bend inwards >< like that lol, so walking in a "straight line" can be dificult for me. Pick the one that YOU feel most comfortable on, physically, and that can yield the highest results without sacrificing comfort. Afterall, you need to like to do it or it wont get done. i.e. It would be a bad purchase for ME to buy a stairmaster, ALTHOUGH it does burn TONS of calories, but because I dislike the machine, and it hurts for me to use, its not a smart option for ME.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have both and unless you are on the bottom floor, your neighbors are going to complain. My treadmill folds up and my elliptical does not. I love the elliptical more though and I think it might make less noise..
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    another vote for the elliptical... :D
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical! way better workout! Soooo much easier on the knees!
  • BRoth1987
    Options
    I hate the elliptical... I'd go with treadmill
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Elliptical...
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Hey my name is also christina! I would get the eliptical. I would get it because its a lot easier on the knees and I don't feel like I could get "thrown" off lol. Also, because I've always been heavy, my knees bend inwards >< like that lol, so walking in a "straight line" can be dificult for me. Pick the one that YOU feel most comfortable on, physically, and that can yield the highest results without sacrificing comfort. Afterall, you need to like to do it or it wont get done. i.e. It would be a bad purchase for ME to buy a stairmaster, ALTHOUGH it does burn TONS of calories, but because I dislike the machine, and it hurts for me to use, its not a smart option for ME.

this is a great point. I'm not too heavy to really aviod either of them. i know i can walk outside but w SoFlo humidy and constant rains i just don't and I do prefer walking over eplliptical. I think i have my answer.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I hate the elliptical... I'd go with treadmill

i agree w this. i just dread it!! LOL