Diabetic With One Kidney

Options
Hi ! My name is Paul,I lost a kidney due to a Doctor error last November I had over 20 blood transfusions and dyalisis.Doing much better now I was up to 492 pounds now I am down to 383 doing low carb and low calorie. Living alone isnt easy at times but it is getting better.

Replies

• JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    Welcome Paul. I am 7 yrs out from a Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y), so I am quite familiar with low carb and low cal. It would be my pleasure to bounce ideas back and forth.
  • Jthurston1
    Jthurston1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome Paul & good luck! :) I dont have diabetes but i do have just 1 -and-a-half kidneys...due to dr.'s error as a child. :) good luck on your weight loss journey just believe in yourself and have fun with it!! You can do anything you put your mind too.
  • waterjogger
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am diabetic, with stage 3 renal failure. Kidney dr says it's getting better with the weight I've lost and exercise. Blood sugar and high blood pressure is much better. That's rough trying to get back to normal after such bad medical problems. I feel like I've had more than my share of medical issues. Welcome to MFP-it's a super easy way to keep track of things!:smile:
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    Hi all, I was born with one damaged kidney and through pregnancies etc I am now Stage 4 renal failure and newly diagnosed type II diabetic. My BP is controlled well with meds at present.
    Just a quick question if anyone can answer, is there a top limit to the amount of carbs I should have daily - I havent changed the levels set by MFP, but also havent exceeded them either. I am still waiting on nutrionists appt for more detailed advice and everything I see seems so contradicting or unclear.
    When I exercise, I know I should be eating back the calories, but should I up carbs too?
    Many thanks