McDonald's Junkie

Options
About 1 year ago, I went from 150lbs. to 140 effortlessly. I never exercised. I drove my car to work. I'd try to find the closest parking spot, I have a desk job, etc. I was the epitome of lazy. Here's the kicker... I ate nothing but McDonald's. My doctor was dumbfounded during my yearly check-up when he asked how I lost the weight. I'm wondering if any of you can help me out.
I'm 23 years old. 5 feet, 6 inches. Since I've stopped eating McDonald's (I wanted to be healthier and maybe lose more weight) I've gained 25 pounds. My usual trip to Micky D's consisted of a double quarter pounder with cheese, a McChicken and a medium sweet tea. I ate this 3-4 times a week and the weight fell off. Why have I gained 25 pounds since I've stopped eating there?

Replies

• sosayscyndi
    sosayscyndi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    McDonald's is my weakness and downfall. If you have found a way to eat it and not suffer grave consequences, please share with the class!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Well I can promise you it wasn't the McDonald's making you loose the weight. Have you logged the numbers for all that you ate? There was SOMETHING going on for you to loose it.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    Because you can eat crap and still lose weight. Unfortunately it's about the calories, not about the quality of the food you eat. Step away from the golden arches :-)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Very. Weird. I actually am in the somewhat lucky position of hating Macdonalds, never really wanted it/liked it. I actually prefer vegetables :O

But if it worked for you and you like it, then maybe go back to eating it?

May I ask what it is that you have swapped it for?

x
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    McDonalds Diet! Google it! Its apparently effective. It'll probably leave you feeling sluggish and nasty though, but it does help you drop pounds apparently if you're under your calories :P
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are you eating now?
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Never heard of such a scenario...

As one person above touched on I'm sure that corporate meat processor franchise did not cause the weightless...
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You're probably under your calorie goal and even though you might have lost the weight its still not healthy. But hey I guess if you want to enjoy your life that way then go for it.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I have actually experienced something similar myself!! for a while every morning I would have a bagel w/ butter and a cup of coffee for breakfast. then for lunch i would go to wendys get a small hamburger and chili, then for dinner I would grab subway or something. I didn't snack at all, and thats all i ate all day. When you add up the numbers, its not a lot of calories. then when I try to eat healthier I find myself feeling deprived, sneaking snacks and over eating. Its all in the numbers, and I really think those little indulgences kept me from binging and snacking. Kind of weird, I know
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I guess you were burning more than you consumed before, so you lost weight. And now you're consuming more than you burn, so you're gaining weight. Start logging everything you eat, implement a calorie deficit, and lose weight.
  • IllyJames
    IllyJames Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wasn't logging my numbers during my McDonald trips. I've only been logging for the about the last 2 weeks. But here's what my usual day consisted of at that time.

Breakfast:
    2 scrambled eggs with cheese
    4 pieces of bacon
    Water

Lunch:
    Turkey Sandwich on wheat bread
    2 slices of american chesse
    Red Onions
    Romaine Lettuce
    Mustard
    Bag of Lay's Classic Potato Chips
    Water

Dinner:
    Double Quarter Pound with Cheese
    McChicken Sandwich
    Sweet Tea
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    About 1 year ago, I went from 150lbs. to 140 effortlessly. I never exercised. I drove my car to work. I'd try to find the closest parking spot, I have a desk job, etc. I was the epitome of lazy. Here's the kicker... I ate nothing but McDonald's. My doctor was dumbfounded during my yearly check-up when he asked how I lost the weight. I'm wondering if any of you can help me out.
    I'm 23 years old. 5 feet, 6 inches. Since I've stopped eating McDonald's (I wanted to be healthier and maybe lose more weight) I've gained 25 pounds. My usual trip to Micky D's consisted of a double quarter pounder with cheese, a McChicken and a medium sweet tea. I ate this 3-4 times a week and the weight fell off. Why have I gained 25 pounds since I've stopped eating there?
    A Nutrition professor did his own "twinkie diet" research and guess what? Eating nothing but twinkies,and some other junk food, he lost weight. And guess what else? His cholesterol and lipid profiles both were significantly reduced.
    Point here is the body is amazing. It's basically about calories in and out.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    interesting...all i know is, im so sad burger king just discontinued the angry whopper as of a couple days ago...this is probably why my weight loss has been at a stand still for the past 10 days, i went on an angry whopper binge, lol...not every day but atleast once a week. im probably the reason why they ran out of the stuff they use to make it :laugh: that was one damn good burger though! it was sooo hard to stay at my calories though with that thing.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You CAN eat whatever you want...it's all about calories in vs. calories out. That doesn't mean that you SHOULD!

For the sake of all that is Holy. Please don't go back to eating that 3-4x a week!!!! Your heart, lungs, liver and cholesterol panel will THANK YOU!!

You can lose weight eating less of anything. That being said, you body functions better when you put in good food instead of crap. Vitamins and minerals aren't something your mom made up to scare you into eating veggies. They're very real and your body needs them to keep living!! Trust me. McDonald's hasn't seen a vitamin or a mineral since it opened!!

Losing weight is important, but so is feeding your body the right things. I would recommend changing up your diet, slowly but surely, to include more fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean proteins and count calories!

It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    For the sake of all that is Holy. Please don't go back to eating that 3-4x a week!!!! Your heart, lungs, liver and cholesterol panel will THANK YOU!!
    This would have been proven with clinical studies. I and many of my "skinny" friends frequent McDonald's 3 time a week and have no health issues from eating it.
    You can lose weight eating less of anything. That being said, you body functions better when you put in good food instead of crap. Vitamins and minerals aren't something your mom made up to scare you into eating veggies. They're very real and your body needs them to keep living!! Trust me. McDonald's hasn't seen a vitamin or a mineral since it opened!!
    Wouldn't just take you word on it. Look at the Nutrition menu. Iron, Calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, etc. are on there. And yes it's FDA regulated so they just can't make up numbers.
    Losing weight is important, but so is feeding your body the right things. I would recommend changing up your diet, slowly but surely, to include more fruits, veggies, whole grains and lean proteins and count calories!

It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out!!
    As long as you get in your essentials and stay within a calorie limit, eating what you prefer to keep the weight off is much more successful than being forced into eating foods you will dislike or depise. This is why diets fail regardless if it offers better healthy choices.