2»

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    I always tell them "It's the chemo"
    Shuts them right up.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    I've had people ask me if I've lost weight on purpose! I guess they think I may be ill or something, but when I was, on 60-70 mgs of Prednisone, I gained. Go figure.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    I always tell them "It's the chemo"
    Shuts them right up.

WOW I bet you get some great reactions to that one!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Does anyone else think its silly when someone approaches you about your weight loss and asks how did you do it? I'm always tempted to be a smart *kitten* and tell them about some new magical contraption or food just to mess with them. I mean really, its not rocket science you eat less count calories and exercise more, thats all there is to it people!

just my vent for the day.

actually, I appreciate it when other folks notice my weight loss and ask me how I did it. Most folks would like to either lose a few pounds or get healthier and I'm happy to share my story with them to the extent it may inspire or motivate them to do something different. I have posted almost daily exercise updates on Facebook and I have had several friends tell me that I have inspired or motivated them to start a program. Knowing this keeps me motivated to post updates and gives me more accountability for what I am doing. I've got other folks relying on me to carry the ball. If I stop, then it would be too easy for those folks to use as an excuse... "well, even Hunter couldn't maintain a healthy lifestyle"
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Does anyone else think its silly when someone approaches you about your weight loss and asks how did you do it? I'm always tempted to be a smart *kitten* and tell them about some new magical contraption or food just to mess with them. I mean really, its not rocket science you eat less count calories and exercise more, thats all there is to it people!

just my vent for the day.

actually, I appreciate it when other folks notice my weight loss and ask me how I did it. Most folks would like to either lose a few pounds or get healthier and I'm happy to share my story with them to the extent it may inspire or motivate them to do something different. I have posted almost daily exercise updates on Facebook and I have had several friends tell me that I have inspired or motivated them to start a program. Knowing this keeps me motivated to post updates and gives me more accountability for what I am doing. I've got other folks relying on me to carry the ball. If I stop, then it would be too easy for those folks to use as an excuse... "well, even Hunter couldn't maintain a healthy lifestyle"

Agree'd i love getting the recognition but when they ask me like i'm doing some sort of new drug or exercise to get the results it just baffles me. and like others have said, when you tell them eat less move more they pretty much shut down, like oh well i guess i'll keep waiting for that magic potion.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Funny. I always wanted to invent something I call the 'Weight Loss Hat.' You wear it on your head while you exercise and you lose weight. People would so buy it. Of course it's a placebo effect but hey people have bought far stupider things to lose weight!
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    While I do appreciate it when my friends complement me on body change, and yes, it can be very challenging....I found the thread really funny!

There are certain people I want to tell:
    "First I rub Hot sauce all over my body, then a layer of peanut butter...I have my husband wrap me in saran wrap, and I sleep with my body in a contractor size garbage bag. It works great! It has to do with the combination of capacin (sp?) and protein..."
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    When someone notices the changes in my body and is interested in knowing how I have gotten to this point, I am very happy to explain my story. Having the opportunity to help encourage a healthy lifestyle change is golden. Even if he or she doesn't follow through with it, at least I know I sincerely tried. I offer him/her nutrition tips, suggest joining MFP for support (because this site has been an incredible tool for me), and ideas on how he/she can get moving and stay motivated.

While a quick, smartass response is somewhat warranted in certain cases, it's not very encouraging. We all weren't on the right track from the start; So before you shoot back with something non-therapeutic, think about how you would have liked to be responded to if you asked that question before you began your journey.

Just my two cents.