how and what to cook with...

Options
123Jude
123Jude Posts: 56 Member
ASPARAGUS!!!

how do i cook it; it says steam or microwave on the wrapper, but ive seen people griddle it on the hob? what do i have it with? do i eat the whole thing or just the spear bit? what easy, affordable way can i put it in a meal?!!!!

thankyou for any help :)

Replies

• SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I toss it in olive oil and seasoning spices (whatever you fancy) and broil it in the oven with garlic and broccoli. Makes it nice and crunchy without being dry.

Or you can steam it in the microwave or on the stove, cook it on the BBQ...

check out eatingwell.com and skinnytaste.com for tons of great and easy AND affordable veggie recipes and more! :)
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Try this from Skinnytaste.com

Roasted Asparagus

Nice easy side dish. Quick and delicious and zero weight watcher points. You can garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese or lemon if desired.

1 bunch fresh asparagus
    olive oil spray
    kosher salt
    fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 400°. Wash and trim hard ends off asparagus. Place in a single layer in roasting pan. Spray with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven approximately 10 minutes.

nom
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com is GREAT! :P
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    All you really need to trim is the bottom ends off, but I personally don't like the heads, so I cut them off too. I like to steam or boil it on my cooktop, then add some butter and serve. I've also seen it grilled, but haven't been successful when I tried to make it that way. Instead of butter, you could also add lemon or balsamic vinegar. It's awesome with salmon, but it really goes with any meat. It's so versatile, and one of the few veggies my husband will eat. Hope you enjoy it!
  • 123Jude
    Options
    wow i didnt know i could oven roast them?? thankyou for the ideas, and the website , ive not heard that one before :)
    im literally testing a larger variety of veggies as my addiction to brocolli is becoming really bad to the point where im eating it for breakfast OOOPS!

thanks guys!!!! xx
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Roast: drizzle with evoo and salt/pepper, put under the broiler until just tender
    saute: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, drizze with evoo and salt/pepper, saute until just tender and almost crispy
    grill: drizze with evoo and salt/pepper, grill until just tender
    raw: just much it down!
    in salads: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, blanch quickly and then throw in salads and pastas
    in soups: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, blanch quickly and then throw in soups - it is especially good in egg drop soup
    steam: steam until just tender, season wtih salt/pepper or cover with hollaindaise sauce
    on pizza: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, blanch quickly and then throw on pizzas

I love asparagus ... can you tell?
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    , but I personally don't like the heads, so I cut them off too.

What? That's the best part! :tongue:
  • 123Jude
    Options
    Roast: drizzle with evoo and salt/pepper, put under the broiler until just tender
    saute: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, drizze with evoo and salt/pepper, saute until just tender and almost crispy
    grill: drizze with evoo and salt/pepper, grill until just tender
    raw: just much it down!
    in salads: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, blanch quickly and then throw in salads and pastas
    in soups: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, blanch quickly and then throw in soups - it is especially good in egg drop soup
    steam: steam until just tender, season wtih salt/pepper or cover with hollaindaise sauce
    on pizza: cut into 1.5-2in pieces, blanch quickly and then throw on pizzas

I love asparagus ... can you tell?

haha!! thats me with brocolli !!

im deffo gunna try it in a salad, i didnt know that ?! there was me thinking it was a boring veg...