not working!!

Options
hi guys,
just looking for a little reassurance - i am really trying to eat what MFP gives me, (i mean i eat my exercise cals) but i just dont seem to be losing!! i work out four/five times a week, generally dont eat bad foods (my cals are generally good ones) but it doesnt seem to be working!

any tips on what i might be doing wrong?

thanks, im a bit fed up!!

Replies

• gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    hi guys,
    just looking for a little reassurance - i am really trying to eat what MFP gives me, (i mean i eat my exercise cals) but i just dont seem to be losing!! i work out four/five times a week, generally dont eat bad foods (my cals are generally good ones) but it doesnt seem to be working!

any tips on what i might be doing wrong?

thanks, im a bit fed up!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I recommend also taking measurements of yourself. I have gone several weeks with out losing any pounds, but have lost 1/2 inch in both my waist and hips.

Also the figures on here guestimates. You could try to lower your calories a little, just don't go under 1200 calories a day.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Have to give us more info--

how many calories are you eating for one.
  • gilly88
    Options
    whoops, sorry should have done that!
    i want to caveat this by saying that i am not really overweight, but am naturally small framed. in the last year have put on 10lb which i dont feel comfrotable with and would like to tone up and lose.
    i weigh 128lb, am 21 and 5'6.
    i work out 4 times/week with intervals, spin and weights. also try to walk/pilates on off days. MFP puts me at 1200/day and when i work out i burn around 250.

thanks!!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    It could just be weight gain from becoming more "womanly". Woman gain extra fat in their hips and tighs to help prepare them for carrying babies. You could try to up your exercise and see it that helps. Also what does your alcohol consumption look like? Those calories also need to be figured in.
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I seond the idea of the tape measure as well!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tape measurer. Also, you don't have a "lot" to lose, so it may take a little bit for your body to kick into gear to start losing that amount. Good luck!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned about you wanting to weigh 118, though. Calculated, a female at 5'-6" & 118 lbs., the BMI is 19 & the lowest it should be 18.5. I know you said you were small framed, but just keep it in mind that anything under 18.5 for BMI is considered unhealthy. I just wanted to put that out there to make sure you aren't putting yourself in danger of becoming "too" skinny. Be healthy & good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned about you wanting to weigh 118, though. Calculated, a female at 5'-6" & 118 lbs., the BMI is 19 & the lowest it should be 18.5. I know you said you were small framed, but just keep it in mind that anything under 18.5 for BMI is considered unhealthy. I just wanted to put that out there to make sure you aren't putting yourself in danger of becoming "too" skinny. Be healthy & good luck! :flowerforyou:

These were my thoughts too, but I was too lazy to actually punch in the figures. Beans you rock
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Thank you. :blushing: I've just seen too many of my friends (& my friends' moms, actually) go to "unhealthy" weights that I don't want to see other women subject themselves to that.
  • gilly88
    Options
    thanks for your comments. i'll start measuring but my clothes still fit the same so i am skeptical about my results!
    dunno, maybe i am just eating more than i think! i wear a HRM so i know i burning that much.

yeah, i hear what u are saying about 118 being low....honestly i have issues with food (used to be anorexic as a younger person) never chronically btu enough to muck up my metabolism!

thanks again for all your comments its nice to feel like people are supportive!
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Oh, sweetie. I'm 5'-7" & was at my lowest of 118 when I was 17. I was so unhealthy but my weight was a result of incredible stress that I was going through at the time. I see pictures of me from that time period & it really makes me cringe b/c I really was just simply unhealthy. Try focusing on eating healthy foods & taking good care of your body & you'll feel much better doing that than focusing on a silly number on the scale. :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    whoops, sorry should have done that!
    i want to caveat this by saying that i am not really overweight, but am naturally small framed. in the last year have put on 10lb which i dont feel comfrotable with and would like to tone up and lose.
    i weigh 128lb, am 21 and 5'6.
    i work out 4 times/week with intervals, spin and weights. also try to walk/pilates on off days. MFP puts me at 1200/day and when i work out i burn around 250.

thanks!!

Got to agree and say I don't think you need to lose weight. Maybe just tone.

Oh, and there is NO WAY you should be at 1200--you're starving your body literally. 1200 is way too little given your size and age. Sorry. You need to eat more.
  • gilly88
    Options
    but 1200 is what MFP gives me?? i mean, i do eat my exercise cals. sorry hope i dont sounds like im complaining or anything, i just really want to be healthy and am a bit confused!

thanks for being so kind, 3babybeans!
  • shorerider
    Options
    How much did you select to try to lose a week. You really don't need to lose at all I don't think (to say it again) but you should be looking at NO more than 1/2 pound a week weight loss. If that.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    but 1200 is what MFP gives me?? i mean, i do eat my exercise cals. sorry hope i dont sounds like im complaining or anything, i just really want to be healthy and am a bit confused!

thanks for being so kind, 3babybeans!

I don't think you're complaining, I do certainly think you're confused, though. You're connecting a specific number on a scale directly with the word healthy. There's a healthy RANGE of healthy weights for your height. If MFP gave you 1200 cals/day, I'm guessing that you asked MFP to help you lose 2#/week and for someone that only wants to lose 10 pounds, this is not the best way to do it, imo.

Perhaps you should schedule an appointment with your doctor or a nutritionist. They will be able to tell you more specific things you can do for YOU that would be healthy. Plus, if you've had problems with eating disorders in the past, it would be good to have some professional help guiding you in this so you don't slip back into your old bad habits.

Toning up, like what Shore said, would probably make you feel awesome! There's a challenge on here that I'm doing & you can find it at hundredpushups.com. It has been a great way to tone my arms & I'm getting some great core strength in it also. Yoga, Pilates, weight & resistance training, stuff like that. I hope that we've helped you somehow!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You may not be losing because maybe your body is happy with your weight. I'm 5"1 and weigh about 111 to 115. With your height I wouldn't recommend you losing anymore. I would suggest you do some pilates, some weight training to tone up.
    But if you still want to lose weight I suggest you up your calories to 1400. It seems you exercise alot and I think your body needs more food.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    It's not working because you don't have anything to lose. You have gained 10 but it was probably 10 your body needs. Please do not make yourself sick trying to get to an unhealthy weight.
    I am doubting that mfp has only given you 1200 cal. I am guessing you either accidently or intentionally put in wrong numbers. I think I read on a previous post that mfp has you on 1600 cal.
    You say you have had anorexia. I think you still do. Please talk to your Dr.
    Kelly
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok, just looked back and see that you have posted before about "not losing" and have been told by many others, including myself at least 2 previous times, that 1200 is not enough. You also said before that MFP suggested I think it was 1500 but you didn't feel right about eating that much but would try it. Have you tried it?

I'm not trying to sound mean here but I'm not understanding why you're not trying some of the advice that myself and others have given you before several times? If you're not going to listen or try what we're suggesting, then why ask? Again, not trying to sound mean but trying to figure out where you're coming from in this
  • gilly88
    Options
    sorry - appears i have offended some people and thats the last thing i want as i really appreciate that we are all here for generally the same reason and that you are genuinely trying to help.
    to clarify, MFP has always had me at 1200, losing 1lb/wk. i have said before that, with exercise, i should eat about 1500 but that this has made me feel uncomfortable (but i have done it). i will take all your advice and reduce my goals to 1/2lb/wk. also will eat a bit more than am allocated each day, so that i am definitely getting enough cals.

again, i really do want to listen to you and im sorry if it appears that i haven't. i won't pipe up again unless i am sure i can't find the info elsewhere on the site!

thanks for all your help.