Anyone in Over-Eaters Anon

Options
Hey, I was wondering if any of you have had experience with Over-Eaters Anon? I am a little wary and have some reservations about going and the 12 steps, but I do like the idea of being able to meet and talk about common urges and feelings.

Replies

• erinoldham19
    Options
    i had gone to a few meetings in my home town it was very helpful. the people in that group were great.. i wish there was a group close by me because i would love to re-join.. i need to re-join..
    it was great to be with people who knew and understood what i was going through.. if there is one close by you i suggest trying it out..
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    never been involved with that fellowship but i am involved with narcotics anonymous... i think you should give it a try.. great support
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I used to be years ago. Rejoined in this area but only 2 people ever showed up at the meetings so I backed off. Excellent program with an active, supportive group. No "diets" are passed out. Yes, it follows the 12 Step program. The principle focus is to revamp our line of thinking in a very positive, one step at a time, one day at a time, one meal at a time to achieve success in changing our lifestyle. A good group leader will guide the members how to be more introspective so they'll be more successful in losing weight. In other words, we must fix our emotional self before we can repair the physical self. Try it! :)
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I had looked into it but the only one where I am is intertwined in religion and I was uncomfortable with that.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I do go to OA. In fact I just got my 30 day chip last night. Hence the pic. For me, it is a life saver. They recommend attending 6 meetings before deciding if OA is for you. There are a lot of reasons for that, but I really think it is sound advice. Just go to 6 meetings, stay open minded, listen to the other people, and then decide. Friend me if you want. I am happy to encourage you on your weight loss journey no matter what you decide about OA. I know it isn't for everyone...that's ok!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I went to a few meetings, and it was really nice. The books are nice reads too. Look at it this way, its free to go, so what is the harm in trying.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Oh, it DOES have you turn over your eating and life to your higher power. Not everyone's higher power is God or a religious based power. For some people it is nature, for other's it is a long lost relative like a beloved grandparent, for some people, it is the OA family that they create! It can be anything YOU want it to be, but basically it is the "good" voice - the one we often drown out with food! The quiet voice that suggests the right things for us...I always picture the devil and angel cartoons on my shoulders. Good luck!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I read the book in college and it really helped me immensely, even though I didn't go the meetings. I really like how they do 12 step program.... I say go for it!