Do you tell others what you think of their diary?

Options
2»

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Positive comments when it's healthy and silence when it's not. Positive reinforcement I guess. If they ask for help, I've sent a private message offering constructive tactful feedback. Everyone's journey is different and hard to offer advice to someone you hardly know.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    If I like what I see, I tell them. If they are really under or eating Big Mac's every day for lunch and dinner but still staying under.. .I don't say anything. I eat out a lot so I don't love it when people pick on me about it, but I understand their concern. I make the best choices for me and it's working so I don't worry. For the most part, I'm positive in my feedback, but I do comment if someone is consistently way under or I see a troublesome pattern for them. Most of my friends are doing so great it's just nice to give them a "high five"! Plus, I love to get yummy ideas from their diaries.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I guess I was thinking the same as most of you. I do keep my mouth shut. I appreciate the constructive criticism but I know everyone else doesn't feel the same way and I don't want to hurt feelings. I have never been over my calories since starting here because I log my food first and tweak my meals if it doesn't fit. But I go over on sodium or sugar fairly often. My food diary is open to friends, and I'm not prefect by any means... but I appreciate when other people offer advice because it helps me to do better tomorrow.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've looked at some people's diaries and been upset by their food intake... but I don't dwell on it. We're all here to support each other and if they ask for help later I'll look at their diary again... mostly if I'm looking, I'm looking for new and fun ideas for meals, not to criticize my buddies.
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I don't like to comment on a food diary because I can't applaud a bad choice that is repeated. If I comment, I try to pick out the good choices made and say something positive. I would prefer honest comments. My diary is open so others can see. If I am doing something detrimental, I would appreciate feedback. That being said when I joined MFP, I asked my friends honesty or praise and they chose praise.
  • TerraHerring1
    TerraHerring1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say anything negative unless someone asked..I do have to ask why someone goes to the trouble of inputting the info and keep track if they are just going to eat like crud but whatever lol
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I generally only give advice when it's asked for....but that's just me.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I dont comment. What the hell do I know anyway?
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I see absolutely no way that commenting on a bad diary could be productive. When people are not eating well, they usually know it, and don't want to hear it from somebody else. It seems that so many people on here care only about eating under their calorie goal, and don't seem to care what makes up their calories. People are eating pizza, ice cream, doughnuts, etc., but as long as they are under their goal, they think they've done well. I'd much rather go by a 2000 calorie diet filled with healthy things than a 1300 calorie diet containing mainly crap.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I am supportive until I see a pattern of being over, then will mention it to them. I don't really care how they get their calories as long as they are under their goal.
    I'm sorry, but this is sooooo wrong. It does matter where your calories come from. So, you think it's better to eat 400 calories worth of cake than 500 calories worth of fruits, veggies, and lean protein?
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would say mind your business. I deleted a girl recently that thought it best to send me a message regarding my intake of cholesterol. I had set my levels super low for personal reasons, not really expecting to eat 0g of cholesterol. It was just a reminder to me to keep an eye on it. Anywho, she was super nice about it, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. I get enough criticism at home, I don't need it here.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Only if solicited.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say anything negative unless someone asked..I do have to ask why someone goes to the trouble of inputting the info and keep track if they are just going to eat like crud but whatever lol

You have an excellent point. I do have to say, though, that someone like me that started at over 300 lbs. that sometimes eating LESS cruddy food in a day is a vast improvement over the way I ate two short months ago. I track and track, the good and the bad, knowing that I'm eating better all the time.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's none of my business. And I can't stand unsolicited advice, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and give it out.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I look at their diaries but I don't offer my unsolicited advice/opinions unless someone openly asks for it!