Who's got allergies/sensitivities to food? Let's talk!

Options
ahavoc
ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
I do. Mine top one's are wheat, cow milk and anything made with it, peanut butter, tree nuts, strawberries, and chicken eggs. There's quite a few more that I'm sensitive to, but can eat with care. Food combos can really get me. I will either break out in hives, or if I eat too many I shouldn't, go into Anaphylactic shock, or I'll get eczema patches, stomach cramps and diarrhea, migraines, it's all from the foods. I was tested and had a reaction to 43 foods out of 49.

What I can eat are: oats, beef, goat milk, duck eggs, corn, rice, veggies, sheep or goat cheese, and some fruits.

Anyone else having as much fun as I am? When I look at peoples food diaries here, I have to laugh because I can't really eat what most are eating, and it's been an interesting challenge cooking for my family while a) dieting and b) not being able to eat everything they can.

So, anyone else?

Replies

• ahavoc
    Options
    bump!
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    wow i thought i had problems. I just get a little upset stomach from dairy. If i take lactose pill before i am fine.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure if it's an actual allergy, or if I'm just very sensitive to it, but food dyes...especially red dye, which seems to be in a lot of desserts (at least at the bakery I worked at, red dye was the norm, it seemed...especially around the winter holidays!). Even a little food coloring that I used to make a light frosting for a dessert last Halloween ended up making me very sick.

I've recently found out that I'm allergic to cilantro, as well.
  • ahavoc
    Options
    Oh yeah, food dyes, I have to watch out for that sometimes too. But isn't it weird how your body reacts?
  • Hannahrenee86
    Options
    I am deathly allergic to garlic and strawberries..
  • ahavoc
    Options
    No, not garlic! lol! I'm part Sicilian, so with the wheat allergy there's no real pasta, so I figured all my Sicilian relatives were up in heaven going, "Wadda you mean no pasta?"
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...allergic to strawberries. That sounds awful!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do not, but my youngest has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy. We can't eat nuts around him because he will react just from the smell. Poor guy. In fact, I am about to head out and eat lunch w/ him at school today! Have a good one!!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Can you eat chicken?
  • rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    I have had Celiac all my life. That means no wheat, barley, rye, and some oats. I get to live gluten free. Thankfully it is much easier now than it used to be! I can try to give you a ray of hope AHAVOC, once you have been truly gluten free for 6-8 weeks, many of your other food sensitivities should be greatly reduced. I am also very sensitive to milk and milk products. Lactose intolerance seems to somewhat go with gluten intolerance. Clean Eating is your friend :) My favorite two web resources for Clean Eating are:

The Gracious Pantry at http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/
    The Joy of Clean Eating at http://thejoyofcleaneating.com/

For help with gluten free cooking/baking substitutions I like

The Gluten Free Goddess at http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

It's tough, but once I got my sensitivities figured out and under control, I have felt SOOO much better!

Sending you positive energy!
    Renee
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a sensitivity to whole milk, even 2% but fat free I am fine with. And I actually had an allergic reaction to Gourmet House Minnesota Wild Rice just 2 weeks ago. Tongue swelled up, dizzy almost passed out. Never had anything like that before in my life uggghhhh I feel for you guys with that kind of allergy.
  • Caseyanna
    Options
    My son has similar allergies. Peanuts, wheat, soy & cow's milk. It makes it very difficult to cook healthily in our home! So I usually make 2 dinners. His and then mine and the bf's. Makes for a busy evening after work!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I have food allergies too! I'm sensitive to wheat, milk, soy, garlic, chocolate, vanilla, eggs, apples and much more. I tried once to restrain from these foods but it didn't do much to my allergies, so now I just eat whatever :ohwell:
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    If I have a lot of beef in one sitting, such as a steak larger than 8 oz....well, let's just say it goes right through me! lol
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, partially allergic to eggs (but I still eat them), and cashews. Growing up, I was allergic to wheat and barley. From time to time, gluten gives me issues but I don't have celiac.

Thankfully, I can still eat cheese and yogurt.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Syrup! It's more of an IBS thing than an allergy but if I have syrup I better not have plans that day :p TMI, I know.

Oh and aspartame, sucralose, any kind of "artificial sweetener" gives me a migraine about 5 seconds after tasting it so none of that for me.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    No, not garlic! lol! I'm part Sicilian, so with the wheat allergy there's no real pasta, so I figured all my Sicilian relatives were up in heaven going, "Wadda you mean no pasta?"

Celiac in the HOUSE! *does a dance*

Yeah, I got this response from people too.

I shouldn't eat any dairy because I'm lactose intolerant, but I don't react as strongly is I eat cooked dairy SOOOO I do eat that.

Where the hay do you get duck eggs?!

AND I've got a soy allergy. If a factory had any part in the food getting made I can't eat it.

I embrace my food allergies. They keep my eating right.
  • mayandreamer
    mayandreamer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm sensitive to wheat and corn, and allergic to chocolate (I get migraines). And I have a tree-nut allergic child. I am only now atarting to get control of my sensitivities. And I know that when I avoid them my digestive system "works" well. I do cheat a little here and there with the wheat - it's so hard to say no to a piece of birthday cake. But I now make the choice knowing full well that I will have a "slow" digestive system for a few days later. But at least I don't feel like crap all of the time anymore.

I've started doing different grains for pasta. There's some good ones out there made in brown rice or quinoa. My family LOVES pasta, so I usually use one of the safe ones for me, or I give then the wheat ones and have spaghetti squash.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant here. I can't drink cow's milk, eat ice cream or cheese. If I do, bad things happen. Sometimes it's frustrating because so many diet/meal plans call for cheese cheese cheese :(
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My son has similar allergies. Peanuts, wheat, soy & cow's milk. It makes it very difficult to cook healthily in our home! So I usually make 2 dinners. His and then mine and the bf's. Makes for a busy evening after work!

How do his food allergies make it difficult? I started eating a million times better when I found out about my allergies. I have the same allergies your son except for the peanuts.