BEST weight loss tool. MUST read!!!

Options
I have been given a gift - the BEST gift i have ever received (second only to my wonderful daughter) from my nutritionist and i wanted to share the gift with all of you who are working really hard (sticking to those calories and working out religiously) and not seeing the results....for the past year i have lived at the gym, eaten only the right things and started to gain weight (20 lbs to be exact!)...as the weight started to come on, i did more classes, worked harder, ate less - some days ate nothing!!...and still - day after day - the pounds were coming on and i could see my body transforming...my thighs were thicker, my belly was poochy....i hate to admit this but i was on the verge of a major depression and was ready to bang my head on the wall.....
then - i received my gift.....it's a little bit of knowledge that is changing my life!!!!...

I HAD MY RESTING METABOLIC RATE TESTED (RMR)!!!

using some sort of machine that i had to breathe into using a tube, my nutritionist was able to tell me EXACTLY what my body burns at rest plus what my body burns doing my usual daily activities...and guess what.....I HAVE A HIGHER THAN NORMAL METABOLISM!!!! in this last year of not eating and over training, i was starving my body and forcing it into storage mode!!!! i am such an idiot!!!!...now armed with my new information, she has me on a very high calorie diet (high but nutritious) and even on the days i don't workout i am eating sooo much....and best of all - i am losing pounds!!!!! i am not supposed to weigh but there is a huge level of trust invlolved when someone actually tells you to do the opposite of what you've been doing for so long (so i had to make sure that i wasn't turning into a cow eating all these huge meals and snacks).....

Please Please Please - if you have the resources available to you and the money (it isn't cheap but it's the best money i have EVER spent!) then i highly recommend you find out EXACTLY what your body burns and EXACTLY how much you require (in calories) to function!!!! For years i have struggled with weight issues and i have finally figured out why! i wish i hadn't waited so long!!!!

Replies

• FletcherChic
    Options
    I have been given a gift - the BEST gift i have ever received (second only to my wonderful daughter) from my nutritionist and i wanted to share the gift with all of you who are working really hard (sticking to those calories and working out religiously) and not seeing the results....for the past year i have lived at the gym, eaten only the right things and started to gain weight (20 lbs to be exact!)...as the weight started to come on, i did more classes, worked harder, ate less - some days ate nothing!!...and still - day after day - the pounds were coming on and i could see my body transforming...my thighs were thicker, my belly was poochy....i hate to admit this but i was on the verge of a major depression and was ready to bang my head on the wall.....
    then - i received my gift.....it's a little bit of knowledge that is changing my life!!!!...

I HAD MY RESTING METABOLIC RATE TESTED (RMR)!!!

using some sort of machine that i had to breathe into using a tube, my nutritionist was able to tell me EXACTLY what my body burns at rest plus what my body burns doing my usual daily activities...and guess what.....I HAVE A HIGHER THAN NORMAL METABOLISM!!!! in this last year of not eating and over training, i was starving my body and forcing it into storage mode!!!! i am such an idiot!!!!...now armed with my new information, she has me on a very high calorie diet (high but nutritious) and even on the days i don't workout i am eating sooo much....and best of all - i am losing pounds!!!!! i am not supposed to weigh but there is a huge level of trust invlolved when someone actually tells you to do the opposite of what you've been doing for so long (so i had to make sure that i wasn't turning into a cow eating all these huge meals and snacks).....

Please Please Please - if you have the resources available to you and the money (it isn't cheap but it's the best money i have EVER spent!) then i highly recommend you find out EXACTLY what your body burns and EXACTLY how much you require (in calories) to function!!!! For years i have struggled with weight issues and i have finally figured out why! i wish i hadn't waited so long!!!!
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    wow. i'm glad u figured out what was really going on. now u know.
    good luck:flowerforyou:
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    So if you dont mind me asking... How much of a difference is it? It just makes me curious-my weight always fluctuates b/t a few pounds, but I also feel like I work out so hard, watch what I eat, and dont see the results I should... Thanks
  • Konahottie
    Konahottie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey well that sounds the same but I cant say that I always eat or drink the best that i could. It just seems the more I go to the gym the bigger I get and it's not helping me want to go other then it's just he lunch time habbit....good thing.
    So I guess I am asking how really good you were at sticking to healthy eating??
    And is it at all related to alchol and my one day a week of eat what you want intake??
    I have been frustrated for about a year as the pant sizes go up and i work out more! makes no sense!
  • Keith1269
    Keith1269 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your gift!! If you are interested you should check out www.precisionnutrition.com Doctor John Berardi actually talks alot about people not eating enough to keep their bodies from going into storage mode due to undereating. He specializes in "nutrient timing". Definitely worth checking out.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    let me try to address all of the questions and your comments...

sarah - the difference is quite big...initially i was taking in about 1000 calories...then i bumped it up to 1500 when i got on MFP (that's what the program figured i should be eating and still lose weight)...i wouldn't make any adjustments for gym days even though on some days i was burning up to 1200 at the gym...now i am on 1700 - 2300 cals depending on my day...1700 cals would be if all i did was lay in bed and stare and the ceiling (and still lose weight) - those days don't happen but that's for a day of no gym...2300 cals are for the days when i workout twice and burn major cals....the meals i am eating are well balanced and healthy but huge!!!! i am feeling soo energetic and happy (beats how i felt when i was "starved")...and i have lost 3 pounds in 8 days! that is major because the scale has only gone up in the last yr.

Kona - your situation sounds very much like mine (and i refused to buy bigger pants! ha ha)...i was not 100% perfect in my healthy eating...in fact,i craved sugar ALL the time and always treated myself to a fun size sweet (but even that didn't satisfy me)...come to find out that i was soo starved and food deprived that my body craved the sugar in order to fuel itself...now that i am eating real food i haven't had 1 sugar craving. I definitely think alcohol is allowed in moderation but it is a carb so you should cut the carb out of your meal if you'll be having alcohol with it (so if you are having chicken, brown rice, and a veggie - cut the rice and enjoy your beer!!!! the same goes for dessert....just cut the carb if you plan to have a treat!)...and as far as the one day of "eat what you want" - i think if you don't eat enough on a regualr basis, the day that you do eat a lot your body will hang on to all of those calories because it doesn't know when it will get fed again (aka storage mode)....i also think if you are going to have a free day (which we all should!) it should be on a day where you've had a good workout and definitely no back to back "free days".

keith - thank you for the website! i will check it out!!!!...for now i have a really good distribution of my calories through snacks and meals....i feel great and obviously it is working!!! who would ever guess that eating more could help you to lose weight????
  • countrybee
    Options
    I also had this test done, but my situation is opposite...mine was running low. So the doctor put me on 1500 cal. a day, but on days I exercise I can do 1700. This tool has put me so in check with what is going on with my body. Also, after finding MFP, this website has also made me aware of what I am consuming. The best thing.....after only about 6 weeks here, I have learned already what I can have in a day. I went camping and had what I wanted on Thanksgiving Day, and still lost my one pound for the week. MFP goal is so on target that 6 weeks ago, it told me I would be at this weight at this time....gives me something to work towards.

I also would highly recommend doing this test. It wasn't just blowing into a tube....it freaked me out some...but well worth it. I also struggle with an underactive thyroid....so I have two things against me....but I am fighting all that now.:happy:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    So, if it wasn't just blowing into a tube, then what was it? I'm curious as to what you have to do exactly for this test. I'm hoping I can get one done, but would like to know what I'm going in for. :bigsmile:
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    the RMR test for me was this:
    8-12 hour fast (i did my test first thing in the morning so this was easy)
    lay on a bed all snuggled up and cozy, then she put a pincher on my nose so i was forced to breathe through my mouth, and then had me breathe into a "hose" (similar to nebulizer tubing) that was attached to her machine...i did this for 12 minutes....it was the worst 12 minutes of my life because it was soo hard to remain calm and breathe through this tube - very unatural and scary for me.....BUT well worth it!!!! i had my answer within minutes of finishing the test and i got lots of 1 on 1 time with my nutritionist about how to live (eat, exercise, etc) with this number.....the number alone is good but the info i got to understand how to eat with my metabolism was what did the trick.....just because i have this wonderful high metabolism doesn't mean i can go crazy and scarf pizza and junk food.....also - i took some lab results from my recent physical and she was able to tweak my diet based on them (i have added more fats to my diet and take some additional supplements)
    i hope this helps!!!!
    if you are in southern california i would HIGHLY reccomend her....it is the best money i have ever spent!!!!!
  • countrybee
    Options
    When they tell you to just breath into a tube, you think....how hard can that be??? With pinching the nose off and not breaking the seal your lips have on the tube is what is difficult. It doesn't hurt in any way, it's a matter of having to calm yourself down to make it through the time. I was told it could take as little as 10 min. or as long as 15. After 2 mins. I thought I was going to freak out and not make it to 10 min. so I had to calm down. When the buzzed hit at 10, I was glad it didn't take longer. Mine was done in my drs. office sitting in a chair, just relaxing.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    Thanks and glad you recieved the gift...when i get some extra cash, maybe i'll get mine tested too...:bigsmile:
  • Lib1927
    Lib1927 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just did an online one and for my weight and height it said mine is 1760 calories. I have been following 1200 and something :huh: Should I eat more?
  • Lib1927
    Lib1927 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just did an online one and for my weight and height it said mine is 1760 calories. I have been following 1200 and something :huh: Should I eat more?
  • countrybee
    Options
    I would think you should eat more.....the dietician was actually thinking about increasing mine to 1700 cal. daily but I told her some days I have problems eating 1500. So she gave me another month and in December I will go back to see what she tells me. My goal is 1 lb. a week, don't want to loose to fast that it has chances of coming back, but want to loose enough to see some progress.

I know alot of people use Weight Watchers, etc. I do think it's good to have "someone" to report to...this has been my key. Facing someone other than myself and the scale.

Good Luck!!