Oatmeal tastes like cardboard

Options
I've heard SO many good things about oatmeal, but everyone always says to eat it plain. I don't know about anyone else, but I grew up eating my oatmeal with brown sugar and half and half cream - unhealthy, yes, but delicious nonetheless. I want to try to start eating it again for breakfast as it's apparently a super food and all that jazz, but I can't bring myself to eat a bowl of plain old oatmeal. How can I ease my way into eating it plain? I was thinking of adding banana and maybe some cinnamon and honey. I still want it to be healthy, I just want some flavour! Suggestions? What do you like to eat your oatmeal with?

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I get the apples and cinnimon (can't spell that) kind. I like it :)
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do it with bananas and maybe a splenda.
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A dash of cinnamon and 2 tsps of brown sugar.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    mash half a banana in it, if you like texture! or a scoop of whey protein.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    brown sugar. lol. make sure your getting the old fashioned, rolled, or steel cut varieties. instant is like gooey glue when the other stuff has good texture.
    I throw in a little wheat germ for added health benefits.
  • abraam
    abraam Posts: 25
    Options
    I really like to put walnuts and honey in it, adding blueberries also makes it better!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I add two tablespoons of cranberries and a tiny bit of honey.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Bananas are yummy yummy yummy in oatmeal! A light brown sugar sprinkle over it is really good as well :)
  • shoeshoebaby7
    Options
    I always add cinnamon because it adds flavor and cinnamon is supposed to be good for you too. You might try using skim milk, or the lowest percentage that you can stand. Also, Splenda brown sugar still has calories but it's half as many as regular brown sugar, so that may be a way to have your brown sugar and eat it too.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    For a 1/2 cup of oats, I add 2 TBSP of natural peanut butter and 2 tsp of sugar. That's right, sugar! It's my dirty little secret. But it's pretty much the only added sugar I have all day.

Sometimes I do a banana instead of the sugar - even better.

Peanut butter and oats though.. try it. They were meant to be together!
  • livinglifeandlovingit
    Options
    Ha! You are funny. It does take a bit to get used to especially if you are used to eating Oatmeal the way you grew up eating it. I usually chop up a small golden delicious apple and mix it in with it and sprinkle some cinammon on it. It really tastes great. I only eat 1/2c cooked for breakfast though. If you like you can put lowfat milk in your oatmeal with some blueberries instead of the apples, try to sprinkle some stevia instead of sugar if you really need sweet. I've had it this way as well. I hope this is helpful. Good luck:)
  • ethmoid
    ethmoid Posts: 6
    Options
    Gobs of splenda and blueberries
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    Cinnamon, applesauce, and raisins will help. Also a pinch of salt does wonders. You could try splenda or stevia if you want sweetness.
  • ethmoid
    ethmoid Posts: 6
    Options
    strawberries are good too
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get the Quaker whole wheat oatmeal and instead of water I use Vanilla Almond Milk. It's MUCH healthier than regular milk and has more vitamins and tastes GREAT!! I add like one tbsp of organic cane sugar and that's all it needs. The milk is naturally sweet and just that little bit of sugar makes it REALLY good. I stay away from the flavored oatmeal because it has SO much sugar in it. I've found that this is a great alternative.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Generally you are supposed to eat the contents of the box not the box itself
  • pMalak
    pMalak Posts: 41
    Options
    ewwww

i have never ever had oatmeal until like 3 years ago and can not imagine it eating different than PLAIN,

i had once maple - way too sweet, then tried low sugar maple.. never again,

i can not eat it that sweet...

but then again everyone has different taste...
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Apples and dates, or banana and nuts. If I want added protein, a scoop of protien powder, pb and a banana...lots of options!
  • timgordon24
    Options
    a splenda and some some cinnamon = mmmmm oatmeal!
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Besides fruit, I sometimes put sugar free maple syrup in it....gives it a nice sugary sweet taste without all the calories.