Appetite/Hunger Suppressants?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chainsaw_Flowerchild
    Options
    I just use protein & fiber to to suppress my hunger. Extra lean lunch meat on my sandwiches and an occasional light Jamba Juice with the Flax & Fiber and the Whey Protein works wonders.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    The problem with weight loss isn't in how many calories you consume. The amount of calories you consume is merely a side effect of lack of self control. There aint a pill, shot, drink, or injection in the world that will teach you self control. You need to learn that on your own.

I agree completely!

I too agree
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    Last I read, although it's been a few years, there's so little known SCIENTIFIC fact about Hoodia. I want to say there are only two companies that have patents on using it for pharmaceutical products. I've yet to see a study from either. I could be wrong though.

At this point anything I've read has been purely anectdotal. Save your money. Eat well.

The Hoodia does seem to be working to be honest. It may be a psychological thing over the actual effectiveness of the product but I'm happy with the use of this product so far :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I am using a * Natural* Hunger Suppressant - taken three times on a daily basis. There are no mentioned side affects and I have done allot of background research.

Don't be fooled by the word "natural", it doesn't necessarily mean safe. Snake venom and oleander leaves are natural but I wouldn't put them into my body!

I don't know thing about this product, but if you have done your research and feel its a safe option then I wish you luck with it.

My own opinion is that using pills to supress your appetite isn't helping you learn good eating habits for the long term, but I guess if you have a short term goal in mind it might help.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Has any one had any experience with these? Most commonly taken in the form of a capsule.

I recently purchased my first lot of natural hunger suppressants - they should arrive either today or tomorrow.

They are made from an African Plant called Hoodia Gordonii and their ingredient p57 is what makes the user feel full more often I believe.

Apparently these will decrease my caloric intake by 30-40% ...

Views on this? Experiences to share?
    Hoodia is a scam. To use a pill is a crutch. Are you going to depend on this the rest of your life to suppress your appetite?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Amphetamines are super effective and not so trendy.
    You kill me..................thanks for the laugh.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're already very slim and your profile expresses a desire to be underweight. Don't take appetite suppressants, instead aim for a healthy body through a balanced diet and exercise. You may want to talk to someone about your body image too. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    Options

The Hoodia does seem to be working to be honest. It may be a psychological thing over the actual effectiveness of the product but I'm happy with the use of this product so far :)
    Wait, you said you were "waiting" for them to try and here you state you're happy with the use. WTF? Are you looking for validation for taking them?
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Eat meals with more fiber!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Ugh. these are poison!!!! And temporary!!!! How will anyone learn how to eat for the rest of their life when they are depending on these horrible things!!!!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    For many of us, changing our dietary habits is more of a health issue than an appearance one. Well, it is for me at least.

Anyway...

diet pills, appetite suppressants...kinda counter productive. Just off the top of my head, three things to look up and consider as you decide to start swallowing them (or not)...

fen-phen (Phentermine & fenfluramine): Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. No, it's not high blood pressure. Not to mention, having a mitral valve replaced isnt exactly a fun thing to do on a summer day...

Hydroxycut: worked great...right up until the time your liver fails.

Ephedra: also worked great....at least for those who don't drop dead from sudden cardiac failure.

However, by all means: feel free to take a short cut to lose weight. Darwinism isnt a bad thing, at least not in the bigger picture.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm dying of curiosity...what is "PANTS"?
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    OK, I'm dying of curiosity...what is "PANTS"?

An item that people in western societies wear to cover their legs. Typically, they are made of relatively soft fabric of some type.
  • audrarice
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I take the prescription med adapex. It works great but like anything else u do develop a tolerance..it may not be the healthiest route to go but if u have a lot of weight to drop it helps...
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    I took it about 5 years back and it didn't do anything or me, however it seems to have good reviews.
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    I took it about 5 years back and it didn't do anything or me, however it seems to have good reviews.

I think I will finish the rest of this lot and then rely on my self control. I had becoming tolerant on substances I wont have access to for the rest of my life, and as people have mentioned, Hoodia hasn't been scientifically proven. Anywho it seems to be working to me (and yes I have now received the product) wether it is the ingredient p57 kicking in or just my own belief that it is working I don't really care. I can let any one who is interested know in any occurring side effects and how it goes for me in the future.
    No need to get antsy pansy now, we're all working towards different goal weights and I respect that.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You're already very slim and your profile expresses a desire to be underweight. Don't take appetite suppressants, instead aim for a healthy body through a balanced diet and exercise. You may want to talk to someone about your body image too. Good luck!

I was going to say this myself. Looks like some issues that aren't healthy or safe at all.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No need to get antsy pansy now, we're all working towards different goal weights and I respect that.

I think the issue here is that while, as you assert, most of us here are most certainly working towards different goal weights... Most of us here are also aiming to be fit and healthy in the long term.

You may be interested in checking out the documentary "Diets from Hell". Most especially, I think you would get a lot of very good information from the story of Natalie Winter - you can see her part of the documentary from 01:31 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCG5EoQLVUk

As for appetite suppressants - while in the morbidly obese range, I tried all sorts of things, from licorice root to Reductil and even Duromine. None of those worked in the slightest bit for me. In the end, the only thing that's had any effect for me in losing weight is learning self control.
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think THIS is what probably concerns people

"This is how I handle ****, by losing weight. I will never be over weight, or at a healthy weight - that is unappealing."