Napping Before Workouts: Your thoughts?

Options
tssa
tssa Posts: 93 Member
Hey MFP, on my days off I can bang out a exceptional workout, even double my workout time. However, during the week I tire out very easily during my workouts. I figure that it has alot to do with me being at work 8 hours daily.

I was thinking, could a 20 min power nap help me with energy/endurance during my workouts for me to push harder and work out longer.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated.... :smile:

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I suspect that could help. Personally I love a little nap after my workout as it knocks me out.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That would depend on you - I tend to take a nap after I workout. If I take one before - I am sluggish. Work-out, a big drink of water and a nap.

Have you considered working out before work?
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you're really disciplined maybe. I know that if I went to take a nap after working all day, the chances of me getting up and going to the gym would be slim. When I was a 9-5er I went to the gym before work, next to never missed it.

You can try it out, and if it doesn't work try to fit your workouts in another time.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I always lay down after work for a nap and then I work out. I feel better that way and have more energy for the workout.
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work a very physical full-time job and some days I wouldn't be able to work out if I didn't get a nap in! Other times I can plow through without issue. I think it just depends on the day, your tiredness, what you ate, and how you feel. I don't see anything wrong with taking a nap as long as you make sure to pull yourself out of bed and start your workout :)
  • tssa
    Options
    That would depend on you - I tend to take a nap after I workout. If I take one before - I am sluggish. Work-out, a big drink of water and a nap.

Have you considered working out before work?

I have considered it but, I'm really not a morning person, per se. It would be hard to get up that early to do it. I could try it out though.
  • iheartfitness
    iheartfitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I noticed if I nap before a workout I usually end up not doing the workout or feeling really sluggish so I trained myself after I get home from work, change into workout clothes, eat a small meal for dinner (gain some energy) but not too big, let the food digest for about 30 minutes, and then workout. It gives me just the amount of energy I need. I usually can never nap after a workout as I am too full of energy so I usually clean up and get cozy for the evening.

Though I can say if you can get your workout done early in the morning - what a difference your mood, alertness, everything will feel so much better. I've changed my all my workout times alot over the years but I certainly did love it when I was able to get up early, that way if I did want to nap when I got home from work - I could and not feel bad about it.
  • hjames0486
    Options
    I just started to workout, today is actually my first day. Yesterday was suppose to be my first day but I was a little tired after work and I thought I could take a quick nap and I would be refreshed and ready to go. That didn't work out to well for me, once I was in the bed, I found it so hard to get back out and I was even more tired than before I laid down. Today I came home, ate my dinner, relaxed/cleaned for 30 minutes and then did a turbo fire workout. All in all, it is hard to say what will work for you because each person is different. If you are working tomorrow then try it out. Take a nap and see if it leaves you more refreshed to be able to do a workout. Good Luck!
  • tssa
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your posts.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person either..but after work I often have a power nap (only 10-15 mins) and then carry on with my evening & my workout..I feel so much better when I can get that teeny little snooze in. I say do what ever feels right for you!