Tips on how to dress

Options
When we are overweight it's so easy to get lost in wearing what ever fits. When we start to lose weight we are way behind what's in what's out and what suits our new bodies. Just because your thin clothes fit doesn't mean they look good on. Any fashion guru's out there that can give both men and woman tips and dressing for your size and updating your look?

One that I gor from Clinton Kelly on What not to Wear, don't wear clothes that are too big for you. Clothes that are close to your body but not overly tight will make you look smaller and not show lumps and bumps. Also wear a v neck to make you look taller and thinner.

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    there is a youtube channel about this called fat and fabulous.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    regardless of my size I stick to the basics that never go out of style, jeans and t-shirts, polo shirts and button downs. But then I've never been one to care about what is in fashion, I stick to what is comfortable on me.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I've heard that wrap or kimono-style tops look good on women of all sizes and shapes. Apparently, (and I am not a fashion guru at all, excuse my terminology) the lines it creates and the way it divides your body makes women with *cough* few assets as well as those with 'huge tracts of land' look fab. I have a few tops and one dress in this style. I get lots of compliments when I wear that dress. Also, they have that V neckline that the OP mentioned, which I like a lot.

Here's a few links in case you don't know what I mean. Sorry they're so big. I'm lame like that.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kimono+tops&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1R2GPCK_enKR422&tbm=isch&tbnid=Cojmhct7JWcDEM:&imgrefurl=http://rboverseasindia.blogspot.com/2011/06/designer-tops-and-dress.html&docid=TuQY_ZHqdnawhM&w=455&h=410&ei=_zpCTqbaOojKmAX1m9TMCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=282&vpy=69&dur=2540&hovh=213&hovw=237&tx=159&ty=134&page=1&tbnh=112&tbnw=124&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1366&bih=503

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wrap+tops&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2GPCK_enKR422&biw=1366&bih=503&tbm=isch&tbnid=zjY6TuaIQCBT0M:&imgrefurl=http://thegloss.com/fashion/bamboo-and-jersey-wrap-top/&docid=ANj_Q3r-zo1K6M&w=350&h=347&ei=wzpCTuWUDMKImQW85disCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=147&page=1&tbnh=115&tbnw=116&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=63&ty=23

Anyone know about skirts? Although I'm big in the waist, I think my legs look like bird legs, so I usually avoid skirts. Any tips about length or style of skirt that would help?
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have given up trying to be "fashionable" for the moment... I just lose "too much" weight (not on a day to day basis, but enough to have things not fit perfectly within 2-3 weeks) and I don't have the budget for it.

Agree for the "don't wear clothes that are too big for you" thing... Thus the above mentioned problem =D
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    When we are overweight it's so easy to get lost in wearing what ever fits. When we start to lose weight we are way behind what's in what's out and what suits our new bodies. Just because your thin clothes fit doesn't mean they look good on. Any fashion guru's out there that can give both men and woman tips and dressing for your size and updating your look?

One that I gor from Clinton Kelly on What not to Wear, don't wear clothes that are too big for you. Clothes that are close to your body but not overly tight will make you look smaller and not show lumps and bumps. Also wear a v neck to make you look taller and thinner.
    If you have fabulous arms or shoulders, go with a halter top, or an empire waist. if you are wearing shorts, go for a modest top, like long sleeved or something that covers you.
    If you are wearing long pants, you can bare what you dare ;P Classily of course.
    Also, do not wear things that are too big for you or you will just drown in the clothing.
    Fitted tops are nice, loose fitting pants are nice as well.
    Do not wear things that are skin tight. It will probably just make you feel super uncomfortable and you won't have an air of confidence.
    Also, fashion is about posture too, stand tall and proud and think sexy to feel sexy :)
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    regardless of my size I stick to the basics that never go out of style, jeans and t-shirts, polo shirts and button downs. But then I've never been one to care about what is in fashion, I stick to what is comfortable on me.

Same here! I plan on being the same jeans and t-shirt type of girl when I'm thin, with a few dresses thrown in the mix! I haven't worn a dress in so long and it'll be nice to be able to dress up every now and again. Not that I can't now, I am just not comfortable in a dress quite yet.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I've heard that wrap or kimono-style tops look good on women of all sizes and shapes. Apparently, (and I am not a fashion guru at all, excuse my terminology) the lines it creates and the way it divides your body makes women with *cough* few assets as well as those with 'huge tracts of land' look fab. I have a few tops and one dress in this style. I get lots of compliments when I wear that dress. Also, they have that V neckline that the OP mentioned, which I like a lot.

Here's a few links in case you don't know what I mean. Sorry they're so big. I'm lame like that.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kimono+tops&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1R2GPCK_enKR422&tbm=isch&tbnid=Cojmhct7JWcDEM:&imgrefurl=http://rboverseasindia.blogspot.com/2011/06/designer-tops-and-dress.html&docid=TuQY_ZHqdnawhM&w=455&h=410&ei=_zpCTqbaOojKmAX1m9TMCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=282&vpy=69&dur=2540&hovh=213&hovw=237&tx=159&ty=134&page=1&tbnh=112&tbnw=124&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1366&bih=503

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wrap+tops&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2GPCK_enKR422&biw=1366&bih=503&tbm=isch&tbnid=zjY6TuaIQCBT0M:&imgrefurl=http://thegloss.com/fashion/bamboo-and-jersey-wrap-top/&docid=ANj_Q3r-zo1K6M&w=350&h=347&ei=wzpCTuWUDMKImQW85disCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=147&page=1&tbnh=115&tbnw=116&start=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=63&ty=23

Anyone know about skirts? Although I'm big in the waist, I think my legs look like bird legs, so I usually avoid skirts. Any tips about length or style of skirt that would help?
    Mid thigh or just above the knee paired with nude heels or flats would look wonderful on your "bird legs"
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    well im aware of the general "rules" such as dont wear big prints on the bottom half if your carrying most of your weight in that area, blacks and navy are slimming colours, floor length trousers and skirts make you look taller and slimmer, v necks make your neck look longer, wear a decent bra that fits, have good posture when you stand and walk to make you look slimmer.

But fashion changes so much i cant keep up. there isnt really a fashion trend at the moment, everyone wears differnt things which is a good thing.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Rule number 1 - ignore fashion.

You need to find out what suits you. I discovered when I lost weight that my shape had changed so much I needed to re-discover what style suited me. I did this by going on a shopping trip with my daughter, and trying on lots of different things - she helped me choose stuff I wouldn't normally have picked out.

So now my style icon is Audrey Hepburn, and when I pick something up in a shop I ask myself - would Audrey wear this? It's a very 1950s look - capri pants and short -sleeved gingham shirts.

I now have a waist, so I look good in fitted dresses with a big belt. Or shift dresses with a little jacket.

I have a beige linen skirt suit, a black flecked trouser suit and a blue trouser suit. These go with a selection of tops, and are the perfect capsule working wardrobe. I walk to work most days, so I have a collection of flat comfortable shoes and pumps.

Experiment with different styles and be honest about what looks good on YOU, not the model in the magazine.
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok I dont normally post (but I have to read everyone else's becuase they are soo supportive and just a nice way to get my day started) but on this one I had to jump in.

I am Brand Development Manager (basically I follow trends and adapt them into our collection to suit my market needs and customer taste level while still elevating the brand status as a whole, this is in a nutshell by the way) so I know a little something on this topic. I agree with most of CeeRawr89 comments, I would like to add:

-TOPS: Opt for jersey tops that are 3/4 sleeve length to cover arms that you are not ready to bare yet and they actually slim down your arm while still staying cool in hot weather.
    -TOPS: Colors vary season to season but stay with neautrals (whispy pinks, neutral beige, ivory colors) they tend to not be going anywhere for awhile and can be matched with almost anything while still be conservative on wearing too bold a color.
    -TOPS: If you are daring to wear some color choose a color that follows your skin tone (cool tones and warm tones) for example if your skin has some pink in it then opt for some warmer tones (Coral reds, Tan, Cognac browns etc)
    -TOPS: Find tops that fit your 'actual size' but dont go too big or too small so that you can get the most out of wearing it while your transitioning in weight, find a top that has details on it (Satin tapes or soft ruffles that frame your neckline, this makes for some femmeninity without being over the top.

-DRESSES: Opt for cuts that fit your body, 'pear shape' opt for empire waist this will make the narrowest part of your waist appear slim and create a nice line. Length should be to the knee or slightly above.
    -DRESSES: Always accentuate the parts of you that you like the most (great arms go for sleeveless or great chest then go for V neck or low round neck) always minimize accessories when wearing a bold print and if wearing solid color then choose one
    focal point accessory (great necklace or drop earrings).

-PANTS: TRY THEM ON AT THE STORE and never buy anything you are not IN LOVE WITH THE FIT this is critical, a great fitting pant should slim you down and make you look taller.
    -belly problems, opt for high waisted pants with a straight leg (can be wide leg but follow the width of your actual thigh down)
    -small waist but big hips, wear pants that hit your natural waist and again straight leg (no flare cut)
    -Short height, wear pants that fit your waist and hips and opt for length that you can wear heels with or wedges this will elongate your height considerable, if wearing skinny jeans always opt for dark washes that are single color and they will slim you down considerably.

i hope I helped,

xoxox
    -C
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    I suppose I should have said to stay trendy and "fashion". Clothes can really age you and I always find that if I dress well and do my hair and make up I feel better about myself and try harder to be fit and healthy. Jeans and T's a fine but every now and then I like to dress up and feel feminine.

Thanks Carol_27, great post :love:
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    Options
    no worries, happy to help always. love my MFP peeps!!

rock on,
    -C:happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I think WNTW is a GREAT guide. Every woman should watch that show. I know they've done men in the past, but I haven't seen that ...

"In" and "out" are subjective. If trendy is your style, then go for it! I tend to go for more classic clothes that don't really go "out." And living in Florida, I live in sundresses probably seven months out of the year just to be cool and comfortable.

Everyone's body is different. You have to try on a lot of clothes to figure out what's flattering.
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    My point though is that we have to try to look and feel good no matter what we weigh, far too many over weight people just give up. I see it in the "before photos" posted on this site. It's bad enough most of our berfore photos are lumpy but do they have to be frumpy too? Love yourself enough to make an effort with your appearance and you it will make you want to eat better and be healthier. It really works for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My point though is that we have to try to look and feel good no matter what we weigh, far too many over weight people just give up. I see it in the "before photos" posted on this site. It's bad enough most of our berfore photos are lumpy but do they have to be frumpy too? Love yourself enough to make an effort with your appearance and you it will make you want to eat better and be healthier. It really works for me.

Is it giving up or just not knowing? My heaviest wasn't THAT heavy, but it was for me. I did my best, but I seriously hated shopping. Nothing looked right on me, nothing fit right. And moreso, having been thin my entire life, I just didn't know HOW to dress an overweight body.

I knew all the "rules" and I saw other heavy women (heavier than me, even) who always looked very lovely in their clothes. But I could never figure it out. I used to literally cry when I would try to get dressed to go out anywhere (like a bar or a nice dinner or something). It was just horrible.