Successfully lose without cutting carbs?

Options
I know the low-carb vs not is a huge ongoing debate, but my question is more specific. Who out there has successfully lost weight without cutting carbs? Who still indulged in desserts and the likes but still lost through exercise and staying within calorie limits? I exercise 6 days a week and stay within a good range in my daily calorie limit. (Eat all or most of exercise calories back, rarely go over.) In the past 6 weeks I've lost a few inches but haven't lost weight... I keep losing and gaining the same 2 lbs. I have starchy carbs almost every day. Sugary cereals, cake, etc. But normally no more than 300-400 cals of junk per day. I've been on low-carb diets before but can't stand the thought of doing that right now. However, I'm starting to feel like it's the only way to lose weight! Is this just a patience issue on my part? If I'm staying within my calorie limit and am still getting nutritious foods can I still effectively lose weight? Is anyone out there who has or who has an answer? Thanks in advance for anyone who responds! :)

Replies

• CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I suggest you up your intake of water, if you haven't already, and try to cut one carb filled snack, like a cake, for a complex carb, like a piece of toast with jam or cheese or peanut butter. You aren't "cutting carbs" per se, but you are switching to a better carb. Complex carbs will help keep you fuller longer. Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to go low carb to lose weight, but it would help to change the carbs that you eat. Eating more natural carbs...fruits, oatmeal and veggies....and reducing/eliminating processed/sugary carbs (breads, cakes, cereals, etc.) would help. If you like chocolate, there is healthy chocolate you can get...its the stuff with high cacao content.

I haven't tried it yet, but just ordered Protein Freeze. Kim Lyons, one of the trainers on the Biggest Loser, is a spokes person for the product and there are many testimonials about how you can use it to make sweet things that are good for you. Once the product arrives and I try it, I will post my thoughts on this message board.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Of course you don't need to do low carb to lose weight. Weight loss is about total calories, not carbs.

I agree with the above person who suggested substituting something in place of a "bad" carb. Take out the cake and replace with whole wheat bread and top with real fruit spread, for example. You are going "low carb" but you are making your carb choices healthier so you get your carbs and your nutrients without excess sugar and saturated fat.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am 10 pds into my 50 pds goal. I haven't cut out any carbs.

Just being careful to portion control "bad food" and excerise.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight by counting calories and eating mostly homecooked meals with some processed snacks and treats.

I haven't cut down on carbs particularly though I do tend to choose less processed versions like brown rice, wholegrain breads/crackers etc. I also eat lots of veggies and quite a bit of fruit (2 - 3 serves of fruit a day).

I still eat cakes and chocolate and treats, the main key for me is portion control and not eating a whole pack of treats at one sitting!

(I haven't been doing well with that lately and have put about 0.5kg back on, but I think I'm back on track and out of the bingeing mindset again).

I agree with Lyadeia, changing some of the unhealthy treats for healhier ones is a great way to go.
    For example, I just had wholegrain crackers and hommous instead of a muesli bar (yummy but a big high in sugar) for an afternoon snack.
  • Honey1990
    Options
    If your just starting out. Dont eat your exercise calories. just eat your recommeded amount and dont go over those at all and then once you stop loosing weight then start eating like half of your exercise calories and then as you go add more and more in if you are really exercising that hard on a daily basis.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am reading Taubes right now, but from his own words, he does no longer attributes carbs as the sole culprit of weight gain. You can read his explanation of why Asians who eat nothing but carbs did not experience chronic diseases (before the Western diet and refined carbs and refined sugars came over).

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/gary-taubes-answers-questions/513424

So technically, you can lose weight without cutting "carbs." But whose definition of carbs are you following and at what level of fitness are you basing this question from?
  • DulceDollie
    Options
    Wow, all of you gave some really helpful answers. Thank you so much. Rubybelle and NyxDominique you're a comfort to me! I have also been cutting back on my portions of sweets and such. Sugar is a dangerous thing to try to control, but it is working for now. Good suggestions. And a really great article, taem. I am feeling like I can continue, and will keep being careful but will try to make a few more substitutions. Thank you all again, very much!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Simple answer yes!

I've been following the debate on MFP and other sites and to be honest it's whatever works for you,