Earthquake!

2»

Replies

• tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    OK, here goes my most embarrassing earthquake story. I live in Northeast Ohio and believe it or not we get a couple every year. (I know that's nothing compared to CA but it's a pretty big deal around here.) Anyways, I was about 6months pregnant with our first child. It had been a rocky pregnancy to say the least, and I was making my 100th trip to the bathroom when... KA-BOOM! My hubby was in the living room and came running and screaming to see if I was ok. Why? I asked ( I hadn't felt anything). His answer... I thought you fell! :mad:

Couldn't be mad, at least he came to help! lol :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    OK, here goes my most embarrassing earthquake story. I live in Northeast Ohio and believe it or not we get a couple every year. (I know that's nothing compared to CA but it's a pretty big deal around here.) Anyways, I was about 6months pregnant with our first child. It had been a rocky pregnancy to say the least, and I was making my 100th trip to the bathroom when... KA-BOOM! My hubby was in the living room and came running and screaming to see if I was ok. Why? I asked ( I hadn't felt anything). His answer... I thought you fell! :mad:

I'm sorry but you have to admit that is funny. :laugh:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    The first earthquake I ever experienced was the 2001 quake in Washington State. I was at work and the building started shaking and someone yelled it was an earthquake and told us to get under out desks. When we finally went outside I expected there to be huge cracks in the ground like you see in the movies. :laugh: I'm originallly from the midwest (born and raised in Missouri) and I was ready to go back that very day. My supervisor told me I couldn't because I was what kept her sane. :laugh: During the quake she kept asking me if I was okay and I kept telling her yes. I'd rather deal with the tornadoes any day, at least you have some warning that weather conditions are right for a tornado and you can take shelter. There was not warning at all for the earthquake. :noway:

Maybe so, but we don't have earthquake SEASON every year.
    Like others have said, I don't even get concerned unless there is massive property damage. And hiding under furniture such as desks and such is a great way to be found crushed after a massive quake. It's much safer to crouch or lie right next to a large piece of furniture. That way the furniture will get compressed, but it will leave the "triangle of life" or something like that, right next to it. It's not widely disseminated info, but studies have proven it's much safer when the world comes crashing down on you.
  • mommared53
    The first earthquake I ever experienced was the 2001 quake in Washington State. I was at work and the building started shaking and someone yelled it was an earthquake and told us to get under out desks. When we finally went outside I expected there to be huge cracks in the ground like you see in the movies. :laugh: I'm originallly from the midwest (born and raised in Missouri) and I was ready to go back that very day. My supervisor told me I couldn't because I was what kept her sane. :laugh: During the quake she kept asking me if I was okay and I kept telling her yes. I'd rather deal with the tornadoes any day, at least you have some warning that weather conditions are right for a tornado and you can take shelter. There was not warning at all for the earthquake. :noway:

Maybe so, but we don't have earthquake SEASON every year.
    Like others have said, I don't even get concerned unless there is massive property damage. And hiding under furniture such as desks and such is a great way to be found crushed after a massive quake. It's much safer to crouch or lie right next to a large piece of furniture. That way the furniture will get compressed, but it will leave the "triangle of life" or something like that, right next to it. It's not widely disseminated info, but studies have proven it's much safer when the world comes crashing down on you.

I'm aware of the lying next to a piece of furniture idea now. A co-worker passed out information about it one time. This was after the earthquake though. I won't be hiding UNDER the desk the next time, I'll be hiding NEXT TO it. :smile:
  • MamaMizzle
    MamaMizzle Posts: 44 Member
    Maybe it's just cause I've lived in California my whole life I think it's hilarious when other people experience an earthquake for the first time.

When I moved back east next year and experience one of the Thunder and Lighting storms or Hurricanes I'm sure I'll be the same way the first time.

You know, I lived in CA for the first 30 years of my life and I've never felt an earthquake (lived in northern CA mostly, but spent 3 years in Southern CA & 1 year on the central coast). We just moved to Oklahoma City this year and the storms and tornadoes here totally freak me out! But, people here aren't scared at all and sit on their front porches to watch the tornadoes go by! lol
  • MamaMizzle
    MamaMizzle Posts: 44 Member

Exactly! It is so much nicer in tornado country to get a warning!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    This is hilarious to me. I live in San Francisco and we are all so unimpressed with anything that doesn't cause massive property damage. :yawn: And here in the same state, up in Tahoe - only 2 hours away, an average storm will dump 3 feet in a day and it's common to have 15' on the shoulder of the highway - and it's not on flat land.

What does scare me are tornadoes. Holy crap - I got stuck in Oklahoma once for 2 days because of tornadoes and that was the only phenomenon to really give me pause.
    I too live in the Bay Area (hence the NINERBUFF screen name, Go 9ers!!!) and the only earthquake that had a big effect on me was the 1989 Loma Prieta. Based on the magnitude, CA suffered minor damage compared to hurricanes that hit Florida or tornadoes that go through the "alley" on a yearly basis.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I wasn't trying to make any case, just point out that the weather he saw in VA wasn't that bad.

You have to be a hearty soul to live up hear in the Frozen North. There's a reason why a lot of older retired people go to Arizona or Florida for the winters or leave the state all together when they get old.
    I was born in Grand Forks ND, so I remember some of the bone chilling cold. Dang when it gets to 45 degrees Minnesotans sweat.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member

That is kind of funny, when my wife was pregnant (both times) she would imagine there was an earthquake while she was asleep about once a month. She would wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me if I'd "felt it". Then she would turn on the radio to try to get an update on the "earthquake". It was so real to her that she wouldn't ever believe me that there wasn't one until the next day when she'd look on the USGS site and see that there weren't any significant ones. Who knows, something about being pregnant, maybe she could feel the 2.5 tremors.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I wasn't trying to make any case, just point out that the weather he saw in VA wasn't that bad.

You have to be a hearty soul to live up hear in the Frozen North. There's a reason why a lot of older retired people go to Arizona or Florida for the winters or leave the state all together when they get old.
    I was born in Grand Forks ND, so I remember some of the bone chilling cold. Dang when it gets to 45 degrees Minnesotans sweat.
    Pretty close. I think optimal temp is around 60 degrees, 45 is hot in the winter months.
  • mommared53
    Surprisingly I see people here in Washington State wearing a coat when the temps are in the 60's or 70's. Makes me sweat just looking at them!