What will my stomach look like?

Options
2»

Replies

• SmileyAmy1977
    SmileyAmy1977 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Do some core building and body weight exercises: Ie Planks, squats, lunges, tri-cep dips. All well force you to engage your core to do the exercise right and help build the muscles that will make the stomach flatter.

I don't know what any of these are. :laugh: Can you tell me or give me a website that tells me about how to do these?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do some core building and body weight exercises: Ie Planks, squats, lunges, tri-cep dips. All well force you to engage your core to do the exercise right and help build the muscles that will make the stomach flatter.

I don't know what any of these are. :laugh: Can you tell me or give me a website that tells me about how to do these?

For a plank it's basically a pushup position except you hold it.. you can either have your arms straight like the start of a pushup, or have your arms bent so your on your forearms. You want to have your butt in line with your legs and back, but don't let your hips sag towards the floor. I do 3 planks for 30 seconds each with about a 30 second rest break.

Lunges are just like what they sound like. Step forward with either the right or left leg, and bend both legs till they are at a 90 degree angle with the knee not extending past your toes. Make sure to keep your upperbody upright and don't bend or sag. I do 3 sets of 10 each leg and I generally have a 12.5 pound dumbbell in each hand.

Squats are kinda hard to explain.. but its like your squatting down to pick something up. Instead of bending at the waist though to pick something up, keep your back straight a lean forward a bit... you want to make your thighs parallel to the floor. You'll also feel this one in your rear, so don't be surprised if your butt hurts the next day. I generally do 3 sets of 15.

Tricep dips what you are going to need is a bench or two chairs that you can space about 5 inches apart. Your going to grip on to the bench or chairs with your fingers facing front and walk your legs out until they are straight out infront of you and cross at the ankle. Then lower yourself towards the ground until your elbows are bent 90 degrees, and then push yourself back up, and thats 1 dip. I generally do about 3 sets of 10-12.

You could also hop on youtube or bodybuilding.com. They have plenty of videos that show you how to squat, lunge, and do planks/tri-cep dips.
  • SmileyAmy1977
    Options

For a plank it's basically a pushup position except you hold it.. you can either have your arms straight like the start of a pushup, or have your arms bent so your on your forearms. You want to have your butt in line with your legs and back, but don't let your hips sag towards the floor. I do 3 planks for 30 seconds each with about a 30 second rest break.

Lunges are just like what they sound like. Step forward with either the right or left leg, and bend both legs till they are at a 90 degree angle with the knee not extending past your toes. Make sure to keep your upperbody upright and don't bend or sag. I do 3 sets of 10 each leg and I generally have a 12.5 pound dumbbell in each hand.

Squats are kinda hard to explain.. but its like your squatting down to pick something up. Instead of bending at the waist though to pick something up, keep your back straight a lean forward a bit... you want to make your thighs parallel to the floor. You'll also feel this one in your rear, so don't be surprised if your butt hurts the next day. I generally do 3 sets of 15.

Tricep dips what you are going to need is a bench or two chairs that you can space about 5 inches apart. Your going to grip on to the bench or chairs with your fingers facing front and walk your legs out until they are straight out infront of you and cross at the ankle. Then lower yourself towards the ground until your elbows are bent 90 degrees, and then push yourself back up, and thats 1 dip. I generally do about 3 sets of 10-12.

You could also hop on youtube or bodybuilding.com. They have plenty of videos that show you how to squat, lunge, and do planks/tri-cep dips.

Cool! Thanks!! And I can do these at home it seems!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This question is often asked. Pinch the back of your hand. That is what loose skin looks like.

The fatty 'apron' or 'belly' you describe and we all fear, is a mixture of loose skin, saturated with subcutaneous fat, and a lack of connective tissue (hence it just hanging there). So, how do you avoid and/or fix this?

Simple. Your body NEEDS fuel, if you lose weight too fast - you are burning muscle and connective tissue (both are excellent sources of protein). So, how do you prevent this? Well, exercise, exercise, exercise - and lose the weight slowly. The exercise will cause your body to build more muscle, and more connective tissue. The slow weight loss will allow your skin to shrink as you drop.

If you already have the apron, fear not. Keep losing weight. The reason it 's hanging out there, is because you have more fat to lose; and that fat is clinging to that flab. As the fat goes - the connective tissue you have will gradually pull that tummy back where you want it. Yes, it will take time - think on the scale of a year. But, surgery is usually not necessary - just patience, exercise and a healthy diet.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Cool! Thanks!! And I can do these at home it seems!

Yup, you def. can do these at home. These are what my trainer has me do, and they are also good for toning up the legs, butt, and arms.

You can also do an oblique twist where you sit on your butt and if you can put your feet up, but if not just lean back a bit and twist side to side letting your hands touch the floor. I do about 30 of those before my abs are screaming at me.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Very informative post - Thanks everyone that contributed - I have the same issues - the "B" belly fat the OP described. My waist is becoming more hour glass shaped, but I still have an upper and lower "roll". Having a C-Section definitely contributed to the problem. But after losing 57 lbs, I'm not complaining too much - I just have more work to do.

Again, Thanks for all the helpful advice on ways to reduce the "B" belly :)
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    wow 35pounds is amazing well done!
  • SmileyAmy1977
    Options
    Very informative post - Thanks everyone that contributed - I have the same issues - the "B" belly fat the OP described. My waist is becoming more hour glass shaped, but I still have an upper and lower "roll". Having a C-Section definitely contributed to the problem. But after losing 57 lbs, I'm not complaining too much - I just have more work to do.

Again, Thanks for all the helpful advice on ways to reduce the "B" belly :)

We should start a "B" Belly Support Group! LMAO!
  • SmileyAmy1977
    Options
    wow 35pounds is amazing well done!

Thank you! :flowerforyou: