On accuracy

Options
the more I get into this, and all the hard work it takes to discipline myself, I want to know for sure I am accurate on my calories eatin, calories burned. I looked everywhere for a heart-monitor I could afford, 10-20 dollars, yesterday. Any no pharmacies even carry them, neither could I find one anywhere else. I want to get people feedback on two things. First, do you feel that you are as accurate as you can be even though yes, you are losing and firming up. Second, how many folks, that are around to answer, use a heart monitor when walking, jogging, biking? Do you feel it is helping you do better at this new lifestyle, after maybe trying it all without a HM?

Hope this all makes sense. I might be getting too much into perfectionism but I just wonder if I wouldn't be doing even better if I used one, and, anyone's help in finding one that doesn't cost a fortune that I don't have. I am very serious, I have between 10 and 20 dollars I can spend, period:(

God bless all today, denise:)

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    the more I get into this, and all the hard work it takes to discipline myself, I want to know for sure I am accurate on my calories eatin, calories burned. I looked everywhere for a heart-monitor I could afford, 10-20 dollars, yesterday. Any no pharmacies even carry them, neither could I find one anywhere else. I want to get people feedback on two things. First, do you feel that you are as accurate as you can be even though yes, you are losing and firming up. Second, how many folks, that are around to answer, use a heart monitor when walking, jogging, biking? Do you feel it is helping you do better at this new lifestyle, after maybe trying it all without a HM?

Hope this all makes sense. I might be getting too much into perfectionism but I just wonder if I wouldn't be doing even better if I used one, and, anyone's help in finding one that doesn't cost a fortune that I don't have. I am very serious, I have between 10 and 20 dollars I can spend, period:(

God bless all today, denise:)
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know if I can help much but I will tell you my "new to HRM" experience. I bought a Timex 30 lap HRM last week and have been blindly fumbling to figure it out. I bought mine at a place call Big 5 sporting goods (a discount sporting goods only store). It is normally 90 dollars and it was on sale for $49.95 plus a 20% rebate. I spent the $49.95 (my parents gave me $50 for my birthday) and will mail in the rebate. It was the a middle to lower range one.

As for accuracy... like I said... I've been fumbling to figure it out so I have yet to decide if it is me or the HRM. I didn't have the chest strap tight enough the first two times I used it, the second time I had the Heart zone alarm going off and didn't know how to turn it off so I kept playing with it the whole time I was working out. The third time I think I did it all right... I stopped the HrM between sets of my work out and reviewed and wrote the calories burned then added them up. Today I let the HRM record the whole time which I think somehow messed it up because Thursday the (3rd time) I burned 296 calories just for the jogging at the end 552 total. Today I ended my sets with jogging and it said 296 calories total. ???

I hope this helps. I recommend looking for one on Ebay... you might be able to find one for your price range there.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi there NWCountryGal.

I do not take my calories and excercise to the point of perfection because I will then become totally obsessed. To make this a lifestyle change is not about going to any extremes, it must be a little fun too if I do I feel that I will be setting myself up for failure.
    I log all my calories according to the packaging for calories,fat,carbs etc and trust that it is within a few ml /grm of what I have actually consumed.

I log my excercise a few minutes short of what I have done and this allows for any descrepancies.
    I have never used a HM, just my pedometer but dont log these calories /foot steps, they are my way of knowing what I am doing on average, I only have 14 more lbs to lose.

Not sure where you are in the world. I am in the U.K. so my prices may not be relevant to you, why not do a goolge search and look on Ebay too.

Good luck and dont be tooooooo hard on yourself.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will find a good hrm for 10 bucks, believe me I tried. I ordered the one off ebay that is everywhere on the pages when you do a search for heart rate monitors...they cost that much ($10-15)and they are garbage. BUT, I did purchase a Nike Triax C3 off amazon.com for $32 (I think) and am very happy with it. It doesn't give me my calories, but I found a website to put in my height, weight, age, avg. heart rate, etc. and that gives me a pretty good number when I'm entering it into MFP, it's always close to MFP estimates too. Make sure you buy one with a chest strap! They are a great investment and they help you stay in your proper zone when working out. Maybe ask for one for the holidays!!!! I''m asking for the Garmin 305-it has gps in it for runners....I'm totally hooked! Chicago Marathon '09 here I come!!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Well, if I look at how far I've come(losing the 4 lbs)and how much better I feel and the difference I can see in my muscle tone, Im inclined to just stick to what I've been doing. I think 32 bucks is way reasonable, I just can't afford it right now anyway. But, also, someone once told me that you are NOT anarobic if you can still talk fairly normally while you are exercising. I've always remembered this because she had done the "Hood to Coast" run(in Oregon) many times so I figured she's gotta know what she's talking about. I liked what the UK lady said and yes, I don't want to ruin the wonderful time I am having doing this:) I think some impatience and wanting to get into those smaller sizes "yesterday" was naggin at me:) I am doing better today and have nothing but respect for all the folks on here. It's gonna be a great New Year for me, maybe the best in my life because of what I am learning here at MFP. God bless all!!! denise in Sams Valley Oregon;)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Well, if I look at how far I've come(losing the 4 lbs)and how much better I feel and the difference I can see in my muscle tone, Im inclined to just stick to what I've been doing. I think 32 bucks is way reasonable, I just can't afford it right now anyway. But, also, someone once told me that you are NOT anarobic if you can still talk fairly normally while you are exercising. I've always remembered this because she had done the "Hood to Coast" run(in Oregon) many times so I figured she's gotta know what she's talking about. I liked what the UK lady said and yes, I don't want to ruin the wonderful time I am having doing this:) I think some impatience and wanting to get into those smaller sizes "yesterday" was naggin at me:) I am doing better today and have nothing but respect for all the folks on here. It's gonna be a great New Year for me, maybe the best in my life because of what I am learning here at MFP. God bless all!!! denise in Sams Valley Oregon;)
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will find a good hrm for 10 bucks, believe me I tried. I ordered the one off ebay that is everywhere on the pages when you do a search for heart rate monitors...they cost that much ($10-15)and they are garbage. BUT, I did purchase a Nike Triax C3 off amazon.com for $32 (I think) and am very happy with it. It doesn't give me my calories, but I found a website to put in my height, weight, age, avg. heart rate, etc. and that gives me a pretty good number when I'm entering it into MFP, it's always close to MFP estimates too. Make sure you buy one with a chest strap! They are a great investment and they help you stay in your proper zone when working out. Maybe ask for one for the holidays!!!! I''m asking for the Garmin 305-it has gps in it for runners....I'm totally hooked! Chicago Marathon '09 here I come!!

Can you share that website? Because I've tried to find sites that take your info and tell how many cals you burned using AVG HR, and I can't find one!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Denise I see the changes already in you...in your words!

I would not waste my time on a cheap HRM-better to save for one that can give you the calories burned.

The numbers in MFP are pretty close to what I get on my HRM. Just be careful of gym monitors on ellips and such, as they are sometimes very high.

I think the closer you get to your goal, the more important it is to have more exacting numbers.

your doing great so keep up the good work!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know if I can help much but I will tell you my "new to HRM" experience. I bought a Timex 30 lap HRM last week and have been blindly fumbling to figure it out. I bought mine at a place call Big 5 sporting goods (a discount sporting goods only store). It is normally 90 dollars and it was on sale for $49.95 plus a 20% rebate. I spent the $49.95 (my parents gave me $50 for my birthday) and will mail in the rebate. It was the a middle to lower range one.

As for accuracy... like I said... I've been fumbling to figure it out so I have yet to decide if it is me or the HRM. I didn't have the chest strap tight enough the first two times I used it, the second time I had the Heart zone alarm going off and didn't know how to turn it off so I kept playing with it the whole time I was working out. The third time I think I did it all right... I stopped the HrM between sets of my work out and reviewed and wrote the calories burned then added them up. Today I let the HRM record the whole time which I think somehow messed it up because Thursday the (3rd time) I burned 296 calories just for the jogging at the end 552 total. Today I ended my sets with jogging and it said 296 calories total. ???

I hope this helps. I recommend looking for one on Ebay... you might be able to find one for your price range there.

Good luck:flowerforyou:

I have a Timex HRM as well. It did take me a few days to figure it out. I never turn on the heart zone alarm, because I'm never in my zone at the beginning or end of my workout. Sometimes if I'm circut training or lifting, it goes off too. One thing I notice, and I figure it's because my heart rate is fast anyways, and through the roof when I work out, is that it tells me my calories are twice or three times as much as the machines or MFP says. I end up going with the machine's numbers or MFP's if I don't have machine numbers. I know everyone says HRMs are pretty accurate (mine has the chest strap), but I just have a hard time believing those big numbers, as much as I want to :wink: That being said, I still like to wear my HRM, because I can tell what zone I'm in and how I'm doing.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    What I learned about HRMs is that you should wait until you can afford a more expensive one! Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.

I recently replaced my cheaper one with a Polar F6 and got very different numbers. I was overestimating by a lot thanks to the lame HRM. You really need one that lets you enter your height and weight.

This is all just a big guessing game in the end, anyways. Wait and save up your money and then get yourself a good HRM. Maybe by then, you won't need one anyways! :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Oh, you'll know if it's anaerobic, because your legs will burn and you'll slow down after about a minute even if you don't want to. Don't worry about that. :wink:

I used to use a HRM, but then it died after about 6 months. I was really bummed out because it was a gift from my bf and $140, but I have a 'way' with electronics. :grumble: Anyway, I just kept my numbers plugged into MFP, and I still use the old ones from 6 months ago. It's not as accurate as the HRM would be, but it's enough. I know if I'm eating too much because my inches won't decrease and my stomach starts to get poojy. I'm currently losing on the scale and in the inches so things are accurate enough. This lifestyle can be as precise as you want it to be.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There is a danger with this type of program on becoming obsessed with the numbers. No matter what, rather you use this site's estimates or a HRM, they are just estimates. Even heart rate monitors are just estimates and not all that accurate. As for food, again all of the information available is an estimate unless you have a laboratory at your disposal. Yes, measuring and weighing your food can help you be more accurate with portions but that is difficult to maintain. It helps when your starting to learn about portions.

The best approach is to treat the numbers as a starting point and then experiment to find out what works for you. As your fitness levels and body composition improve, those things will change so you'll need to keep experimenting.

If money is an issue, don't worry about a HRM right now. Experiment on your own using the free numbers that are available to you. If you hit a wall, then you might consider other options. However, my first advice when you hit a wall it to more closely examine your eating habits first.