Runners, what do you think?

Options
Hey Runners!

What do you think?

I've started to change my running routine a little - every second day i run 20 minutes, by which time I've reached some steps and then do two minutes of step running (just three steps..) and then I alternate between jogging, side stepping, and backwards running along this straight pathed path. Then I run again for another 10 minutes, stop and do some leg swings, twists, side bends etc for about 5 minutes before running the last 15 minutes home...

Is this going to limit my ability to run long distance without feeling the need to stop? The weather has been very pleasant lately and Ive just enjoyed being outside...

Replies

• mariethai
    mariethai Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey Runners!

What do you think?

I've started to change my running routine a little - every second day i run 20 minutes, by which time I've reached some steps and then do two minutes of step running (just three steps..) and then I alternate between jogging, side stepping, and backwards running along this straight pathed path. Then I run again for another 10 minutes, stop and do some leg swings, twists, side bends etc for about 5 minutes before running the last 15 minutes home...

Is this going to limit my ability to run long distance without feeling the need to stop? The weather has been very pleasant lately and Ive just enjoyed being outside...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    hmmmm...I can see this being a good way to work different muscles, but not sure it will assist building up endurance for the longer runs. Just be sure when you're doing all the alternate moves you don't twist a ankle or something. :happy:

/lecture from woman with old parts. :bigsmile:
  • mariethai
    Options
    Funny that - I actually missed a step the other day and fell flat on my face... luckilly there was no one around....
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Funny that - I actually missed a step the other day and fell flat on my face... luckilly there was no one around....

:laugh: That's usually the moves I'll make at a intersection. :embarassed: :laugh:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you want your body to run distance, then you have to train it by running distance. :bigsmile:

But you don't need to do it every time you run. For example, when people train to run marathons, they may only do one long run per week. The rest can be short. So you can keep doing what you're doing, but if you want to be able to run without stopping, start working that into your program once a week. You can keep doing what you're already doing on your other running days.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Hey Runners!

What do you think?

go onto runnersworld.com and grab one or two of thier training plans they are free and wonderful. You do have to mix it up and run both long distances with speed bursts and steady runs, sprints and just mix it up!!!! Hope that works for u!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you want your body to run distance, then you have to train it by running distance. :bigsmile:

But you don't need to do it every time you run. For example, when people train to run marathons, they may only do one long run per week. The rest can be short. So you can keep doing what you're doing, but if you want to be able to run without stopping, start working that into your program once a week. You can keep doing what you're already doing on your other running days.

Exactly.

Your body will adapt very specifically to what you're doing, so you have to do exactly what you want to be able to do. Alternate training will help certain aspects of fitness-this sequence looks like it would improve agility and flexibility. Flexibility is important for speed and form, but agility really isn't necessary for improving endurance. :flowerforyou:
  • mariethai
    Options
    Thanks Everyone, You confirmed what I already thought...I'll check out some running plans - its always good to have a guide. I used to have one about a year ago when I was training for a half marathon and then i just slipped back into running pretty much when ever and how ever I felt like... I think its time to up the running again!