I am addicted to Coke!

Options
2»

Replies

• ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    It does help you lose weight, stay active, and what not....

but the mood swings and how awful you feel when you don't have any, just isn't worth it.

Oh. Hang on. Darnit, next time write "cola."

Coca Cola
  • RebeccaLeinen
    RebeccaLeinen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was the same way! i changed to coke zero... it has some sodium in it... but no extra calories! then i used it as a bargaining tool...if i did a little extra exercise or cut a portion i reward myself with a soda... i've lost 30 lbs so far... (before starting this site)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I still drink 1 can a day.. I love the people who say they "had" to give it up. You don't "have" to do anything.. This is not a diet, its a lifestyle change. If I want my soda, I have it and I just make sure I log it and fit it in my day.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You aren't addicted to coke - you're addicted to sugar and it's like crack - seriously. If you want to quit drinking it then suck it up and quit drinking it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I always want a coke. I try to drink water but I just can't seem to break my addiction to coke. I have tried giving it up but I am just not strong enough. Does anyone have anything that has worked for them. I know that I need to give it up because I am consuming to many calories buy drinking it but I just seem to be lacking the will power.

Some people are for and some people are against diet sodas. The crap in them is no joke, and I do believe in the long run that they're worse for you than full calorie sodas, but it is nice not having to take the caloric hit. I'm a bit unsure one way or the other on the subject so I won't speak to it.

However, one suggestion would be to not completely fight your urge for soda, but lessen it. For example, lets say you drink six cans of coke a day at relatively routine times. Each time you get a craving for a coke, first get yourself to drink a liter of water, and then drink half a coke rather than a full one. Drinking the water before hand will cover the thirst aspect, and will fill you up, but you won't completely wean yourself off it. Get yourself used to that routine, and then do it again, either this time only drinking soda three times a day, or coming down to a quarter of a can rather than half of one. And keep going until you get down to an drinking an amount of soda you can be comfortable with. Baby steps are the key to breaking habits that are so ingrained. Some people have the discipline to do things cold turkey, but it can be MUCH harder that way.
  • LizzieBee17
    LizzieBee17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I still drink 1 can a day.. I love the people who say they "had" to give it up. You don't "have" to do anything.. This is not a diet, its a lifestyle change. If I want my soda, I have it and I just make sure I log it and fit it in my day.

actually, I had to give it up. Like I tell people, I was a true addict. Can a crackhead only smoke one rock?
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i had the same problem with pepsi, just tell yourself coke isnt an option. I still have 6 oz of pepsi in the morning, its like my coffee but i drink diet mt dew for the sugary taste now and that helps to curb the cravings, also vitamin water zero is amazing! I find its more the sweetness that i crave than anything
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey was the only way for me. I don't drink tea or coffee so for me it was my only source of caffiene. It's not just the sugar that gets you hooked its the caffiene. That's why you will feel rough for the first couple of days of cold turkey.

Even after seeing a friend's brother using it to clean up corroded bike parts (it would clean all the rust off in a matter of minutes) and watching a dentist demostrate that it takes less than 20 mins to disolve a whole tooth (the only reason it doesn't dissolve the teeth in your mouth is saliva). Even knowing how gross it really is, I still relapse occasionally.

Now if I can just get rid of my addition to crisps...
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options

actually, I had to give it up. Like I tell people, I was a true addict. Can a crackhead only smoke one rock?

I wasn't necessarily talking about you :wink: I have seen several people, wayyyyyy too many to count who thought they had to give everything up on this site. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

ETA: I know how addicts can be. Id easily drink 1-2 12packs each day. I was able to cut down on my own, some can't. I respect that. I was talking more about the more ridiculous stuff people say they "had" to give up as if they would be banned from this site if they didn't.
  • KierstyPants
    KierstyPants Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    you me and charlie sheen!

HAHAHAH.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    try transitioning to speed .....
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Try adding a little Rum to your coke... then slowly start reducing the amount of coke in your glass, and add more rum and ice. this will offset the intake of that evil chemical known as Coke. Eventually, with practice, you should get to the point to where you dont want the coke, only the Rum....
    Glad I could help!
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    I've been there, and I've kicked the habit.

I drank Diet Coke for almost 20 yrs. If you cracked open a coke across the room I could smell it. I grew up on Diet so thats what I craved, not the full sugar stuff.

Sadly(thankfully) about 2 yrs ago it started giving me heart burn. REALLY BAD heart burn. I had to give it up cold turkey. I switched to water and black tea for the caffeine addiction.

It took me about a year to fully stop craving it, but in the end my body was SO much happier. Its worth it to get yourself off the stuff.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I just replaced coke with vitamin water and drank more water....but since I've been drinking more water everything is too sweet to me so I've been just sticking to water. It gets easier

This seems to be the case for me as well.