Why did MFP lower my daily calorie allowance?

Options
Hi,
I've been with MFP about 12 weeks and just crossed the -10 pounds line!! Fifteen more to go.

MFP asked if I wanted to recalculate my goals, so I did. I was previously allowed 1480, but now it says 1380. Why the 100 calorie drop? If 1480 was good as my beginning goal, why not now?

I assume it's because I weigh less therefore I need less calories, but wouldn't 1480 get me to my goal now if it would when I first signed up? It seems to be working now.

Thanks,
Shannon

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    As your weight drops, so does your BMR (calories you burn when sedentary) and MFP calculates your calorie intake from BMR.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You spend 10 calories less in your daily life for each pound you lose.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    As your weight drops, so does your BMR (calories you burn when sedentary) and MFP calculates your calorie intake from BMR.
    Exactly what I was going to say. :smile:
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    You answered your own question. Yes because you don't need as many calories now that you weigh less:wink:
  • rfcollins33
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to say. :smile:

yup
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    To maintain the same rate of loss after losing a certain amount of weight (MFP estimates it as 10 pounds), you either have to:

1) Eat 100 calories less per day.

or

2) Burn 100 calories more per day when exercising.

It's just a general math thang that MFP does.