Apron after Weight Loss

Options
I've done well and lost quite a bit of weight over the past year but now I'm faced with an 'apron'. Short of surgery to remove the excess skin, does anyone know how this can be minimized? I'm in my 60's so I'm afraid my skin elasticity isn't what it used to be.

Replies

• megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    Apron - haha - now I've never heard it referred to as an apron. That's cracking me up. I have worse words for it, but apron sure describes it well.

I just assume that since I can never afford plastic surgery, my apron will shrink over lots of time, but never fully go away. Just the reminder of the person I once was...
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to lose my dreaded "apron" and a tummy tuck is not in my budget. But, I'm happy to say that it has shrunk considerably as I have been losing weight. I'm pretty confident that, at this rate, it will be almost completely gone by the time I reach goal.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Good question.
    Pinch the back of your hand. That is what loose skin looks like.

What your 'apron' is, is skin that has lost connective tissue, and has enough subcutaneous fat that it's draping. How do you fix that? Well, part of the reason you have this problem is lack of exercise. You see, your body doesn't want to burn fat - it will get fuel from muscles and connective tissue. Fortunately, you can get that connective tissue back - it just takes time.

Exercise is key!! Why? Well, exercise builds muscle - and it also builds connective tissue. As you build muscle and connective tissue - you will be an even better fat burning machine. Keep losing weight!! The skin is sagging because of the weight of the fat that is stored under the skin. As the fat goes away - your skin will GRADUALLY shrink. Connective tissue will grow and suck it back in.

Granted, being 60 doesn't help a lot - even at 50 this is a fear I have. But, if you read some FAQs and do some research - the facts are as I have outlined. Keep losing, and walk, bike, jog or run/swim. It will pull back in - it may take a year; but it should come back in without surgery.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Hodar I've been looking every where for a simple to the point reply like yours!

Hope you're right, I've got a ''apron'' (gotta love it eh?) too! It kind of pulls me back from losing weight but, just gunna hope for the best. Some saggy skin will be worth being healthy for!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Good question.
    Pinch the back of your hand. That is what loose skin looks like.

What your 'apron' is, is skin that has lost connective tissue, and has enough subcutaneous fat that it's draping. How do you fix that? Well, part of the reason you have this problem is lack of exercise. You see, your body doesn't want to burn fat - it will get fuel from muscles and connective tissue. Fortunately, you can get that connective tissue back - it just takes time.

Exercise is key!! Why? Well, exercise builds muscle - and it also builds connective tissue. As you build muscle and connective tissue - you will be an even better fat burning machine. Keep losing weight!! The skin is sagging because of the weight of the fat that is stored under the skin. As the fat goes away - your skin will GRADUALLY shrink. Connective tissue will grow and suck it back in.

Granted, being 60 doesn't help a lot - even at 50 this is a fear I have. But, if you read some FAQs and do some research - the facts are as I have outlined. Keep losing, and walk, bike, jog or run/swim. It will pull back in - it may take a year; but it should come back in without surgery.

Wonderfull answer