I was scared to up my calories too, until...

Options
13»

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I always tell people to do this when they first start- don't jump right into the low calories, eat normally for at least a day and log everything, just so that you can see exactly how much you have been eating. It is a huge eye-opener and can really set up your long-term success. If you do that, you'll realize that eating a little bit over one day isn't going to be as bad as that was for you. Those first few weeks are always hard to go from eating a lot to 1200 calories, so if it takes a week to adjust and eat a little bit less each day so you are used to it, that's ok too.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I bit the bullet and upped my calories (they were at 1200). It's been a week ... I have gained weight back... hopefully it's a different story next week... MFP says that I still should be losing 1 lb a week....

I'm sure that's frustrating. Well give it a few more days and if it's not working, you can always try something else! That's the great thing I've noticed about making the all-over lifestyle change rather than crash dieting - if something doesn't work, you're no worse off for having tried it!
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    So, after you up the calories, are you eating your exercise calories back as well?
  • Honey1990
    Options
    I'm not having luck with 1200 cal or after 2 weeks of yo-yoing. I'm scared to up my calories to the recommended 1380 and yoyo from there. But what to do? I've spent a summer so frustrated not getting anywhere.

When you are first starting out. eat the calories that the program suggests. your body is used to eating alot so 1380 really isnt that much. just do it for a month and you will see a loss.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    After 2 wweeks on here, and not losing AT ALL, I spoke with my Dr. and he suggested upping my calories to 1600. I'm 6' so I realize that's a lot more than most of you should be at. This week, I still haven't lost any. Frankly, I'm finding it difficult to eat that much, especially when i burn >500 with exercise! But, I'm trying, and I'm doing it right, so I'm confident it'll happen. I haven't gained, so that's good news!! ;-)

Hopefully that weight loss will come. But, for now, I took measurements the other day and I've lost a total of 7" overall!! YAY!! I'll take an NSV anytime!!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

I like this post.
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    bump! me too :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Very nice post, OP. It took me about 3 months before my 1100-1200 cals a day stopped being so magical in my weight loss. I never hit a plateau or stalled, but the loss got lower. I tried zig zagging for 2 weeks and it helped a little. The next 2 weeks I upped my calories to 1400-1600 a day and was back to losing 2.5 pounds a week. Previously, I've been losing 1.5-2 per week on average, (not sure what it is now since I won't be weighing myself at all this month) and I do 1300 with a day or 2 of 1600 mixed in every couple weeks.
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    So, after you up the calories, are you eating your exercise calories back as well?

I typically eat back about half of my exercise calories. It really depends on how the rest of my day was food-wise and if my body feels hungry or not!
  • GreenGettingLean
    Options
    Very nice post, OP. It took me about 3 months before my 1100-1200 cals a day stopped being so magical in my weight loss. I never hit a plateau or stalled, but the loss got lower. I tried zig zagging for 2 weeks and it helped a little. The next 2 weeks I upped my calories to 1400-1600 a day and was back to losing 2.5 pounds a week. Previously, I've been losing 1.5-2 per week on average, (not sure what it is now since I won't be weighing myself at all this month) and I do 1300 with a day or 2 of 1600 mixed in every couple weeks.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! Who knows if I'll stay at 1390 during my entire weight loss journey. I plan to stay at this level as long as it's effective!