food diary viewing-stop whining

Options
124»

Replies

• twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I hope no one finds this offensive but something is really bothering me. There are people i see whining and complaining how they cant lose weight and yada yada and then i take a look at their food diary---->>> and they eat mcdonalds and pizza and etc 24/7. Why join a weight loss plan, eat fast food and expect to lose weight??? And why be dumb enough to share your diary and still complain...

Because:
    1) some people don't know about nutrition and think it is only about the number of calories and not the sources of those calories
    2) due to the invention of the tv dinner and fast food "restaurant" many people have never learned the art of cooking and are afraid to give it the old college try
    3) for the same reason as #2 many people don't know how to eat a balanced meal or even what one looks like
    4) many people would rather eat what tastes good instead of figuring out how to make what's good for them taste good
    5) many people want help and want to know these things but just don't know where to start

You have to have a base for nutrition and if no one has ever taught you through experience about it your foundation is skewed.

I love these 5 facts and I absolutely agree. Losing weight is definitely a process that a lot of folks can't really figure out on their own. Sometimes it may take them eating the bad stuff to realize what works and what doesn't work. I think whining about it doesn't help at all. If the burgers and fries aren't cutting it, you need to run out to a grocery store, and buy some of the better choices. Myfitnesspal doesn't tell you what to eat, but at the same time, it's should be understood that greasy foods don't help with weight loss. Plus, all the money you spend at the fast food restaurants really adds up. I could make 2-3 days worth of meals from the amount of money someone would spend going to McDonald's 3 times a day. Cutting out fast food is just a win-win. If you're going to go, I say do it only once a month, and do not get the whole meal, because you don't need the whole meal. It's also a pet peeve of mine from working at Jack in the Box last summer (lost 39 pounds working there amazingly from NOT eating free food and moving all day), customers would order 2 tacos, large fries, cake, and .........a diet coke! What is that diet coke supposed to do?
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    Or I see they're eating 300 - 600 calories a day. You're so right though.

Don't be a big, dumb, baby (see photo below)! This takes commitment and discipline -- plain and simple.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5452&thumb=1&d=1308220978
  • LadySassy
    LadySassy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but.......I myself am guilty of hitting the fast food places quite regularly. I don't complain, except to myself...because the main reason I even go through a drive-thru is because I've either spent the entire day running to doctor appts or spending the whole day at the hospital with one of my children. I have 4 kids, 2 of which are severely disabled...which in turn means doctors, surgeries, equipment pick up.....all these things take up my time, so yeah, I'm guilty of it...because I saw no other choice...except for starving myself I guess.

Maybe there's a reason for why these people are eating at fast food restaurants.....how do we know?
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really find whinning to be cathartic.

Seriously, one thing that I know is that I will never loose weight on a diet, but only when I learn to eat smart in the real world. And, the real world had McDonald's and Pizza Hut in them. What I am learning is how to navigate those minefields without loosing the battle.

So, when you see someone whine cuz they aren't loosing weight, but they are eating at a fast food place, give them some help in making a better choice next time - what on the menu at McDonalds do you think is tasty but less harmful to the weight gain? Maybe suggest that next time they have a salad and one slice instead of two slices.

Just my thoughts.

Well said! My thoughts exactly!
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but.......I myself am guilty of hitting the fast food places quite regularly. I don't complain, except to myself...because the main reason I even go through a drive-thru is because I've either spent the entire day running to doctor appts or spending the whole day at the hospital with one of my children. I have 4 kids, 2 of which are severely disabled...which in turn means doctors, surgeries, equipment pick up.....all these things take up my time, so yeah, I'm guilty of it...because I saw no other choice...except for starving myself I guess.

Maybe there's a reason for why these people are eating at fast food restaurants.....how do we know?

in your case i totally see that as fine, we all get busy sometimes and need a quick fix, this was geared towards people who eat fast food 3 meals a day and 4-5 times a week, thats 12-15 meals a week, and not just a quick egg mcmuffin for breakfast, but 3 of them
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Or I see they're eating 300 - 600 calories a day. You're so right though.

Don't be a big, dumb, baby (see photo below)! This takes commitment and discipline -- plain and simple.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5452&thumb=1&d=1308220978

Congrats to you! Amazing weight loss and transformation! You look great!
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    It's fun being on the other side of the 'offensive thread' ain't it?

Honestly, I don't limit myself too much. I religiously count my calories and I'm very careful about what I order from fast food places. I eat back my calories sometimes, but as long as it's within the 1200 range, I feel like I've done a great job and pat myself on the back for making healthy choices at not-so-healthy places.

To people getting so worked up and offended: what is the point of that? She's got a point. Why are you on a website for bettering yourself and changing your eating habits if you're just going to blow it daily and then complain about it? To other people feeling sorry for people who've never had the chance of developing good habits, that is absolute crap. Everywhere you look now there's promotional information about eating right, exercising and keeping up with it. Everyone's lives are situational and it's never easy making this journey, but be realistic...if you're whining you're not doing something right!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think people just need to be educated in what is actually healthy and what is perceived as healthy. Once they learn to distinguish a difference, I doubt fast food would be the norm.

I honestly don't think it would make a difference. I believe most people in this country and educated enough to know that fast food is not the healthiest option, but they eat it anyway.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think people just need to be educated in what is actually healthy and what is perceived as healthy. Once they learn to distinguish a difference, I doubt fast food would be the norm.

I honestly don't think it would make a difference. I believe most people in this country and educated enough to know that fast food is not the healthiest option, but they eat it anyway.

They "know" fast food is not healthy, but they don't know *why*. They take is as dogma.
    It's not enough to know what is bad and what to avoid. They also have to learn what is good and what they *should* be eating instead of garbage food.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

They "know" fast food is not healthy, but they don't know *why*. They take is as dogma.
    It's not enough to know what is bad and what to avoid. They also have to learn what is good and what they *should* be eating instead of garbage food.

^This! Thats exactly what I meant when I posted that.
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    To people getting so worked up and offended: what is the point of that? To other people feeling sorry for people who've never had the chance of developing good habits, that is absolute crap.

Oh lol. There is a major difference between offended and various people tossing out different perspectives. I've seen no one here offended but offering great sides to two different coins. As to the second statement, I will gladly be guilty of that. I hope I never lose sympathy and empathy for people.

I agree that people should easily be able to admit that they know a cup of broccoli is better than french fries. They may just not be able to comprehend how to get there for themselves. It can seem very overwhelming to someone that doesn't have support.