RUNNERS!!! What is your most MEMORABLE race?

Options
Hey runners! I was just looking back through years of race bibs and reflected on some of the awesome races I've done since a kid. Here's you place to tell the rest of us what your most memorable race was and why. List several if they are important to you.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. (circa 1988, age 15) Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim at the Grand Canyon. A death march that took us 19hrs 12mins to complete. Nearly 10,000 feet of vertical climbing over 52 miles. A few hundred entered, but not all finished. If you finished UNDER 24 hours, you got the T-Shirt. I was hobbled for weeks after that! My calves went on strike!!! Will NEVER forget that one!

2. (2000, age 26) Chevy's Fresh Mex 10K - First, and only time going under 40:00.

3. (2001, age 27) Race to Robie Creek, Half Marathon (Boise, ID). I recall 75% of the race being uphill (2000ft+ elevation gain), climbing up and over a set of mountains, with 3-4 miles downhill after topping out. The most memorable moments were the Twinkie rest stops, Recliner rest stops, and Lap Dancer rest stops! An unbelievably entertaining race with as many spectators as runners. Too much fun!

4. (2008, age 34) Ragnar Relay - Teams of 12 relay runners, covering 200+ miles. Each runner will run their leg in order, then repeat, and then repeat again. The race goes nonstop throughout the day and night. My run legs added up to 18.6 miles (3 10Ks). It gives new meaning to the phrase "running on dead legs"! Our team finished in 24 hours. Can't wait to do that one again.

So those are a few of my most memorable races. How about you? I'd love to hear your memories. :happy:

Replies

• outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I only started running this year but I have three 5Ks under my belt since May. I'd have to say my most memorable race is my first. The adrenaline rush at the start was amazing. Pushing myself further than I've ever gone before was motivating. Sprinting across the finish line was exhilarating.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    * Last December, the Jingle Bell Dash 5K in Lake Charles, LA...my first 5K and I finished it under 30 minutes
    * This past May, the Contraband Days 5 Miler in Lake Charles, LA...my first longer than 5K race, finished it 2 minutes faster than my goal time
    * Next memorable race will be 11/12 when I run my first 10K race
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Brickyard race, it was 8 miles in the hills and I managed to get second place in my age group and was the youngest person in that race to run the 8 mile course. I still have the brick they gave me as my "medal"

Also when I ran high school cross country we did a race called frogtown and the start was all mud for about 100 meters and it was pouring rain! I was freezing and covered in mud but it was a blast!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Right now mine is the one I just ran this past Saturday. I dislocated my shoulder TWICE in July and had been in a sling for 4 weeks. My PT cleared me to run on Thursday, so I immediately decided to run the 5K event of the race I had originally registered for the 10K in. I was unsure how it would go... shoulder pain... exhaustion... etc. I set a personal goal to finish in 36:00 or less, a very modest time goal to allow for as much walking as I might need.

So... after 27 days of not running... I went out and completed my race in 30:59!!! :) I took 3rd place in my age division and stood on the podium for the very first time in any event I've participated in. :) I was only 1:43 away from my PR for 5K, too. It was and still is an amazing feeling.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I only started running this year but I have three 5Ks under my belt since May. I'd have to say my most memorable race is my first. The adrenaline rush at the start was amazing. Pushing myself further than I've ever gone before was motivating. Sprinting across the finish line was exhilarating.

It does become addicting. My first race (a 10K) was when I was 13 (1986), and I still remember it. Heck, I still have the race bib!
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1.) Any of the "mud" runs that I've done - LOVE the obstacles. I'm not speedy but damn, I'm good at obstacles. (at least in my head).

2.) This year's Lost Dutchman where I PR'd.

3.) This year's Indy Mini Marathon that I ran with my sister - our second half together and the rest of my sisters and my mom walked too! It was an amazing family event. I'm trying to see if we can make it (or another half nearby) a yearly event!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Chicago Marathon 2007. They had to close down the race because it was so hot. I got through mile 16 before they shut it down. I was helping a friend who had some BAAAAD heat exhaustion. He didn't even remember the race the next day, it was so bad. They didn't have water or gatorade at most stops that I passed. They blamed that on runners dumping water on their heads. Although, I'd assume that they didn't dump gatorade on their heads as well. They opened up the fire hydrants. I had several layers of heel blisters because of this. Spectators were buying water to hand to random people. Helicopters circled overhead. It was like a warzone.

They officially changed the name that day from the Chicago Marathon to the "Chicago Fun Run." There was nothing fun that day. They still handed everyone medals though. Although, I didn't finish a marathon. The medal felt cheap.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I've done a handful of races (not really my thing) so my most memorable are:

Mother's day 10K 2011, I blew it big time. I was convinced to buy inserts at Roadrunner for my shoes. The sales person failed to tell me that I would need to break them in slowly. The first time I wore them was for the race! I also had started my period the day before so I had horrible menstrual cramps. It was a very hilly route and my legs felt like they were going to fall off and my uterus felt like it was being eaten by a chain saw. I didn't know why at the time I couldn't get my legs to move. I made it 1/2 way before giving up. Popped two Vicodin and took a nap. The next week I returned the inserts! :devil:

My first race ever: Wharf to Wharf 10K 2010. I had a blast; ran hard; made great time for what the race is (15,000 reg. runners; who knows how many bandit runners).

You have some great races under your belt!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Love it.

I'd have to go through the several bibs but my MOST memorable was my first 5k two years ago. I shuffled through that bad boy at a blistering 39 minutes! Very emotional though, as it was the first time I'd ever decided I was going to do something, then did it.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    #1 Highschool Junior 4x200 Indoor State Meet - Got the baton in 4th place, passed two guys on the final turn and one on the last straightaway to come in 1st.

#2 Highschool Senior 400m Outdoor State Meet - Huge underdog, passed 3 people in the final 100m only to come in second but also a school record (still standing).

#3 Highschool State Relay Outdoor Meet Long Jump - Not a race, but in a huge rivalry against a private school, jumped a personal and meet best to win the LJ relay.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Chicago Marathon 2007. They had to close down the race because it was so hot. I got through mile 16 before they shut it down. I was helping a friend who had some BAAAAD heat exhaustion. He didn't even remember the race the next day, it was so bad. They didn't have water or gatorade at most stops that I passed. They blamed that on runners dumping water on their heads. Although, I'd assume that they didn't dump gatorade on their heads as well. They opened up the fire hydrants. I had several layers of heel blisters because of this. Spectators were buying water to hand to random people. Helicopters circled overhead. It was like a warzone.

They officially changed the name that day from the Chicago Marathon to the "Chicago Fun Run." There was nothing fun that day. They still handed everyone medals though. Although, I didn't finish a marathon. The medal felt cheap.

WOW!!! That's insane!!! I guess I'm lucky, I've never been in a race where disaster struck! Certainly memorable! Thanks for sharing.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Well I hadn't ran since I was in highschool- which was 20 years ago! I just started running in May this year. I've finished five 5k races and am doing another one this Saturday. I've saved all my bibs and wrote my time down on every one. I guess my first one would be the most memorable because I was so pumped, and my parents came to cheer me one. :smile: I've gotten a better time each time at every race so far. I'm not getting any medals, but I'm getting my personal best each time so I'm thrilled! :happy:
  • fumblerdog
    Options
    1) Chicago Marathon 2010 - not only was it on 10/10/10 (awesome), but it was my first 26.2. It was really hot, but they learned from 2007 and had a lot more water and medical support. Also, I trained in Atlanta, so I was used to the heat. It was the hardest thing I ever did, and my time wasn't impressive AT ALL, but I finished the darn thing and started bawling as soon as I did!

2) Napa to Sonoma 1/2 Marathon 2011 - just a couple of weeks ago! It was my first half marathon with my hubby - we were supposed to do one together in March (his first), but I broke my ankle and couldn't race. It was so much fun to spend 13.1 miles with him. :-)
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options

It does become addicting. My first race (a 10K) was when I was 13 (1986), and I still remember it. Heck, I still have the race bib!

I've kept my bibs too. They are all sitting on my office wall for everyone to see.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    2003 Giants Draft 5k at the Meadowlands- not only was I around 15:30 for 5k, blasting across the football field, seeing myself on the jumbo tron in 1st- pretty bad *kitten*.

A smokin time!!! And I agree, VERY BAD *kitten*!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    'running' (actually running one minute walking one minute) with my mom for the first annual blue shoe run in denver benefitting prostate cancer last year. it was the first run that i did in memory of my dad and it was amazing that my mom was huffing and puffing by my side. really, really emotional day. my sister is joining us this year so we'll have to run-walk again, but hopefully next year the three of us will actually place.
  • lildevil968
    lildevil968 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My most memorable race is my first one with my 7 year old daughter. It took place in April of this year, and it was the Colorado Race for Wishes. She ran the entire thing with me, and we crossed the finish line together holding hands. She never stopped running once, and didn't even complain about it either. After we crossed the finish line, she got her medal from a terminally ill kid, and she gave the kid a huge hug. I was in tears!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I love these stories!

I'm running my first (ever!) 10k in Sept. I'm so excited now!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    so far my most memorable race was the half marathon I did at the end of June in fairfield CT. What an amazingly huge turnout.
    Running the whole thing and finishing was my goal and I did it. For me it's something I can now look at and improve my time on.
    :)
    a few 5ks that were fun too, but my first 5k was funny becuase it was the first time this group ever organized a 5k and at the start they said.. well it's not really a 5k but it's a run. LOL made me laugh and it was still fun.
  • javaruck
    javaruck Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    1) 2011 Modesto Half Marathon - Not my fastest race (2:30:28) but certainly the most memorable for the feeling of accomplishment of finishing the race only 58 days after surviving a full cardiac arrest caused by a major heart attack.

2) 2011 Fontana Days Half Marathon - 2 1/2 months after Modesto, recovery continues with a new PR of 2:01:32 (on a fast downhill course).

3) 2008 Palos Verdes Marathon - My first running event to celebrate my new fitness after losing 65 LBS. Great feeling of accomplishment running a tough hilly course during a record heat wave.

I'm looking forward to running the Disneyland Half Marathon in September and the Santa Clarita Marathon in November. I'm counting on this years Santa Clarita Marathon to be another memorable event. I guess it's my way of proving that heart disease can be conquered!