Goofy water question

Options
Ok I know this is goofy but when you're tracking water consumption on the food diary and it recommends 8 glasses, is that 8 - 8oz glasses? I was trying to convert the liter of water I had and was assuming the diary meant an 8oz glass as one glass...

Replies

• wendibartel
    Options
    That is what I have been assuming myself. It would be good to know the correct answer.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Yes, 8oz glass. Your litre of water is about 4 glasses.

p
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yep, 8 oz.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yep!

1 glass is 8 ounces!

Good Luck!

Have fun!

Sonia
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yup, its 8 - 8oz glasses of water. :smile:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Ok I know this is goofy but when you're tracking water consumption on the food diary and it recommends 8 glasses, is that 8 - 8oz glasses? I was trying to convert the liter of water I had and was assuming the diary meant an 8oz glass as one glass...

It actually recommends 8 CUPS...not glasses...and a cup is a measurement for 8 fluid ounces.

"Water Consumption
    We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water."
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I made the assumption that it is 8 x 8 oz glasses per day.
    This made the most sense to me as my Martial Arts instructor keeps telling the class to drink 2 L of water a day.
    This is pretty close to 8 x 8 oz glasses.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Any water recommendations is completley inaccurate, or just a fluke. Everyone needs a different amount. I need over five litres on training days to avoid dehydration.

Monitor your urine colour instead
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Any water recommendations is completley inaccurate, or just a fluke. Everyone needs a different amount. I need over five litres on training days to avoid dehydration.

THIS!

any day i only had 8 cups of water i start to get headaches from dehydration. today i drank 8 cups before 7am since i did a 90 min bike ride. but i also am generally warm and sweat a ton, there is no across the board rule of thumb for this.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

THIS!

any day i only had 8 cups of water i start to get headaches from dehydration. today i drank 8 cups before 7am since i did a 90 min bike ride. but i also am generally warm and sweat a ton, there is no across the board rule of thumb for this.

It's a minimum recommendation, certainly not a maximum. More would be better in just about every case.
  • becalm
    becalm Posts: 31
    Options
    yes! 1 glass=8 oz!
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks all...yep I've heard the 8 cup/glass is just a recommendation as we all require different amounts. I've also heard to take your weight and divide by two to get the amount of oz you need. The way I look at it, going from ZERO (0) glasses of water to one liter by noon is a helluva an accomplishment. Yay me! (Ok that sounded snobbish but really excited)

Thanks again!!
  • lulupallooza
    lulupallooza Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been given this suggestion, regarding water, more than once.

Take your total weight - divide it by 2 - that's how many ounces of water a day you should have.

So, if you weight 200 lbs - divide by two - 100 ounces of water.

I've been going by that rule of thumb instead of 8 glasses.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well done Lena, just be sure not to overdo it, and build up slow.

The maths using bodyweight is complete nonsense too.

When I'm in a bed all day in Alaska, I weigh the same as I do when I take part in an ultra marathon along the equator after competing in a cracker eating competition. (Well, as the race went on, I'd weigh less. And I'd need less water according to the bodyweight thing?)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, 8 oz is one glass.