supplements and vitamins

Options
So I've started taking some vitamins and my weight-loss progress has clearly plateaued.
I started taking Iron and Kelp, omega 3 and vitamin D in addition to a multi-vitamin and vitamin C.
I started last week and have not lost any weight since, even though prior to starting them I was averaging about 10lbs a week.
Any ideas if this is actually affecting my weight loss in a negative way instead of aiding it?

Replies

• annmrie
    annmrie Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm not sure how the vitamins may be affecting your weight loss,but it seems as though the body wouldn't react well to 10 lbs of weekly weight loss. That dramatic number is more likely to be the reason for your plateau.
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, the supplements and vitamins you have listed should not stall your weight loss. are you obtaining your omega-3 from fish oil? for some products, 2 fish oil capsules contain 25 calories, but, this is a very minor detail. the important thing here is your diet and your exercise. you may want to re-assess other areas that might have stalled your progress because vitamins and supplements should not have that effect. hope this helps!
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been taking 24 different types of supplements for nearly 8 months. (I don't do multi-vitamins.) I joined MFP on July 22, 2011, and have lost 9 pounds as of last Friday's weigh in. (I expect to lose at least 3 more pounds when I weigh myself in two days. (I can actually "feel" myself getting thinner.) :bigsmile:

I keep my calories at or below 1200 per day and exercise at least 70 minutes per day, following MFP's calculations for a 1.7 pound weight loss per week. (My weekly yard work allows me to eat more because I burn more calories.)

I don't believe the supplements have anything to do with plateaus. I agree with ANNMRIE's assessment about the dramatic 10-pound weekly loss -- this could be the issue.

I wish you the best in your efforts to get over this hurdle - stay focused: slow and steady :wink:
  • grlwithmostcake
    Options
    I have to ask--24 supplements? Please share as I am curious--is it 24 'tried' over 8 months or 24 supplements taken consistantly over 8 months
  • matthewburditt
    Options
    to clarify - in case anyone comes back to this - My trainer said most definitely to ditch the other supplements and stay on the omega 3 and multi only.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your trainer has it right. A well balanced meal plan will take care of most of your requirements and the multi will pick up on everything else. Omega-3 is a must because I doubt anyone eats enough fish (unless you be a newfie!) to get the recommended dose.

The other stuff is pretty much only if you have a known deficiency.