Things I'm Salty about

Options
So after my workout yesterday I wanted a fancy coffee drink so I went for the nonfat sugar free iced raspberry latte....130 calories ( eh ok) but freaking 18grams of sugar....SERIOUSLY really how does that happen. What can I order ( besides just coffee) to treat myself but not have so much sugar?

Replies

• KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Where was the sugar coming from in a "sugar free" coffee :\ maybe the nonfat milk? That seems really odd to me that there is sugar in it, but what do I know lol
  • foremaar012
    Options
    I thought so too, that's why I was so shocked when I looked on Caribou's website. I think it's the milk, who knew!?
  • ido10612
    ido10612 Posts: 51
    Options
    There was prob sweetner in the raspberry syrup and not the coffee. that would be my guess
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I know they sell sugar free coffee creamers aside from that I don't know, you will get about the same sugar in soy milk. You could do a cream but then the trade off is more fat :\ I'm still having my coffee lol..

I am guessing not the raspberry flavoring since most places use sugar free Torani or similar syrups which has zero sugar..
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    The sugar is in the milk. When coffee places say 'sugar free' in front of their flavor, it's that the syrup is sugar free, not the whole drink. If there is milk in it, there is sugar. It's not a huge deal, its the extra refined sugars you need to limit.
  • foremaar012
    Options
    this is true, i forget about those things. man nothing is better than coffee i usually just do plain with a spash of nonfat milk and splenda. one day i'll be a tough guy and drink it black :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    How do you know it was 18g sugar? Maybe whoever entered it in MFP was wrong..

ARe you sure the RAspberry was sugar-free? did they also use syrup? (they love to do that without telling you)
    Milk will have some sugar...but not 18g unless you drank a gallon of this stuff...

If it was starbucks, you can check this:
    http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?drink=all#view_control=nutrition
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Also, some calorie free sweeteners have carbs in the form of sugar. But in your case I agree with everyone else. It's likely the milk.
  • foremaar012
    Options

ARe you sure the RAspberry was sugar-free? did they also use syrup? (they love to do that without telling you)
    Milk will have some sugar...but not 18g unless you drank a gallon of this stuff...

If it was starbucks, you can check this:
    http://www.starbucks.com/menu/catalog/nutrition?drink=all#view_control=nutrition

blah ya I'm not sure what kind of milk they are using...maybe the im going to sabotage anything andrea likes while dieting milk
    http://www.cariboucoffee.com/page/1/beverage-food-detail.jsp?id=1767&type=drink&size=MEDIUM&milk=SKIM&whip=false&x=29&y=9
  • mdagenb
    mdagenb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I found that if i order a starbucks iced latte with soy milk it gives me some of the sweetness im looking for becuase they use vanilla soy.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

A cup of skim milk has about 12 g of sugar, so yeah this could be off a bit but a gallon of milk is wayyyy more that 18 g of sugar.
  • BigMamaElle
    BigMamaElle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my treat is coffee fraps no whip.... the sugar content in that slaughters your raspberry coffee w 27g of sugar.

i drink them anyways.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have 4 ounces of skim milk with my cereal in the morning, and there are 6 grams of sugar in it. So it you had a 12oz fat free latte, that would give you 18g of sugar.