Sore Muscles

Options
I started C25K yesterday and today my legs are really hurting with fatigue. I went swimming today to stretch out the muscles and see if it helped but my thighs are killing. Dh is laughing his *kitten* off at me waddling around. I've decided to have a rest day tomorrow but if the muscles are still sore after tomorrow should I exercise on them?

Replies

• techymum
    techymum Posts: 168
    Options
    If your muscles are just sore - I would suggest getting back out on schedule and trying it again. It doesn't take long before those feelings are gone, but definitely at the beginning you are going to hurt!

Now if it is pain - as in obvious hurt, tear, shartp pain, something other than an ache or soreness, I would rest it.

Good luck on your C25K! I never thought of running, at all, didn't know why anyone would do it, etc. Now I spend each day waiting for the next so I can go on my run!!!
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat protein, light exercise like bicycling is great to increase blood flow.

Keep lifting.
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sorry to pull you down even a bit more, but tomorrow is gonna be even worse ;) Usually, you can feel you sore muscles the worst 2 days after your workout. I'd suggest you do some stretching exercises.
    I personally like sore muscles, it's a 'good' pain and it tells me that I've done something. However, be careful, it is, after all, a minor injury!! Good luck :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking BCAAs, they tend to help with muscle sorenss. Also, you should probably take a day off if your muscles are very sore to the touch.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Anytime you try something new there is bound to be sore muscles especially when you push yourself. Listen to your body is the best advice I can give. You know whats best for you, if it's to sore tomorrow then do wait another day until you feel you are ready. I personally love muscle soreness, makes me feel like I did a good job working out and usually just push through the soreness. It usually goes aways after two days. Good luck! :smile:
  • NicciGarvito
    Options
    Go for a nice BRISK walk. it will help to break up the lactic acid that has been built up in your muscles. The lactic acid aids in the muscle pain. Also make sure you are eating ALOT of protien to help heal and rebuild the tears in your muscles . Also be sure that you are streatching alot as well. soak in a hot bath of epsom salt to warm the muscles up then stretch sloooowly. next time you excersize work on breathing out anytime you ar contracting your muscles to expel Lactic acid from your body. hope this helps! OH and ibuprofen helps out too! :-)
    NICOLE
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Take 2 BCAA's and call me in the morning.
  • ksheppard0509
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with working out with sore muscles. Just don't overload. Do a yoga or pilates routine and just stretch out your muscles. Then do your regular workout. Soreness is your body letting you know that you have muscles that haven't been worked out in a while and they are getting stronger. Don't do static stretching as part of a warm-up, dynamic stretching is better for a warm-up. It is more of a static-active stretch which will increase your heart rate and get you ready for your routine. Just don't get it confused with ballistic, that is a bad stretch that can harm your muscles. Also, soreness is normally worse the second and third day compared to the first. Before you go to sleep at night, take ibroprofen or advil, it will help with the soreness. Also carbs help restore the glycogen in your body so it helps with soreness and will help you work stronger and harder than without glycogen. That is why a lot of runners carboload a day before a big run and eat carbs after the run. Hope this helps, sorry if I went on and on
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Like the others before, I like the "good pain". Do something tomorrow, even if its just walking and some stretching to keep those muscles loosened up. Ibuprofen before bedtime works for me to keep away leg cramps in my sleep!
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do kinda like the soreness of fatigue but I can't even sit my daughther on my lap because it hurts so much. I think I over did it a bit.
    I'll try the biking and stretching after tomorrow and see how I go. Oh sorry to be dumb but what's BCAA?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do kinda like the soreness of fatigue but I can't even sit my daughther on my lap because it hurts so much. I think I over did it a bit.
    I'll try the biking and stretching after tomorrow and see how I go. Oh sorry to be dumb but what's BCAA?

BCAAs are amino acids. They help muscle recover from exercise and can help reduce DOMS(soreness).

If it hurts to put your daughter on your lap you should probably take at least a couple of days off or until it does not hurt to push down on your muscle.
  • jennfisher13
    jennfisher13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sorry to pull you down even a bit more, but tomorrow is gonna be even worse ;) Usually, you can feel you sore muscles the worst 2 days after your workout. I'd suggest you do some stretching exercises.

Unfortunately this is true second day soreness is the worst. I just recently dealt with this as well. I did 4 miles on Friday carrying a 35 pound pack. After we finished we did 3 sets of squats... with our packs still on. By that afternoon I could feel it, by sunday I couldn't walk up my stairs with out using my upper body to pull me along on the hand rail. On Monday we did a 3.5 mile run (no packs) and I honestly wanted my legs to just fall off... This brings me to today... as I limped out to the trail this morning expecting another assault when finished my muscles were loosened up and I have been feeling great all day... Now before you give me a thumbs up for struggling through the pain and being so motivated KNOW that I did not want to run!!! I wanted to lay around and recover but I am in the military so that was not an option... if it had been I would have waited for my muscles to recover... Now I know that I can make it through it... especially because my supervisor is very scary!!! LOL
  • Nancymcgregor
    Nancymcgregor Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, I don't have any of those in. My dh has some Matrix powder, is that similar? I'm sorry if I'm being a pain but I really have no idea about supplements.

Yeah I'll see how it feels the next day and go from there.

Wow well done Jenn, what an achievement. :)